460 Ford Forum banner

Temperature Management

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Falcon67 
#1 ·
I run a P-51 Headed BBF in a Drag Race Application. The temperature is difficult to keep a handle on which makes short breaks between rounds tough.

I have tried a restrictor plate , a high flow thermostat and no restrictor. All with similar results. My radiator is a Fluidyne with twin fans (on during race), 2 bottles of Water Wetter and I run a Meizere water pump.

Any ideas, short of using a mix of race gas and alcohol?

Thanks,
Lance

#4 ·
Charlie, I don't have the block number handy... 1986 460 Truck block.
Originally I'd installed a set of Kometec gaskets but took them out because I discovered I had them facing the wrong way. Then I found that the manufacturer discontinued them, so I bought a set from Jegs. This was another mistake... after about 15 passes I had a carb backfire and upon further review, I found no compression in #6 & 7 cylinders. On teardown, the gasket was gone between the two cylinders. Also, major deterioration between 2&3.

So, I've bought a set of SCE 535546 to try. Maybe there's something better out there? That'd be good to consider before I put this thing back together.

As you can see, I'm on a learning curve here :)

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the input.

Lance

#5 ·
in a street rod that i used to race there wasn't most room for a large rad. and fan so at the track i would use a pump up one gal weed and lawn sprayer hook up to a spray bar on the rad it would cool that engine down real fast between rounds just pump it up and pull the trigger work great used it in line to to stage alot
dragweek quickest street rod
22009 2010

#6 ·
Like Quick52 said, if you're in a part of the country that doesn't have high humidity putting some moisture in the cooling air flow will greatly increase the amount of "contact" (re. density) of the ambient air. I've seen advertisements for misting systems that are designed to be used around your home patio that claim 20* drop in the ambient air temps in the immediate area. Something like that hung around the edge of your pit awning would probably help too. Fans and moisture...and a "tic-tock" system on the race car should help too. Hope that helps.
Rob

#9 ·
Are you squeezin? How much compresion? I run a 13.5 P-51 BBF with a Summit Fox radiator,2 Jegs pusher fans with an electric water pump.The fans and water pump turn on with the ignition.I have a separate switch to control the pump and fans under the hood and a mechanical temp gage screwed into the front of the intake.Easy to use and keep track of the temp without leaving my rocking chair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.