460 Ford Forum banner

4x4 super duty front end "clunk / rattle"

10K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  WileyCoyote 
#1 ·
i have a 2001, 4x4, v10, crew cab ,super duty.texas truck.i have changed upper/lower ball joints,shocks,sway bar links,tie rod ends.
i still can not get rid of the clunk i hear and feel when hitting even small bumps.i`ve drove newer s.d. and it`s not as bad,but seem to have it too.
i can` t be the only one to have this problem ?? any help ??
thanks.

#4 ·
Replace the sway bar bushings on the front axle that hold the bar itself to the axle with the clamps. That should fix it. Did hundreds when I was at the dealership. I think there were two bar diameter options also, have the build date/VIN of your truck handy when you buy 'em!

#5 ·
I just rebuilt the suspension on my 97 T-bird, and I noticed a rattle over bumps. Turned out to be the disc brakes. One of the bolts wasn't seated right because of crud that I apparently missed, but also, the anti-rattle spring wasn't doing its job. I'd check what everyone else says, and if not that, check the brakes.

#6 ·
my super duty recently put me in the ditch. with the return of the straight axle versus the cv joint front ends i neglected to grease the front u joint. pisses me off. i know better as a diehard jeep/scout guy.
....the ujoint locked up, stop me from turning the steering wheel, blew out the stub axle and locking hub.....fwiw bobn

#9 ·
Is there a "Track Bar", Really a panhard bar- that locates the front end. Dodges have one and they are notorious noise makers.. They don't last long either, the bushings . My cummins truck, 04', does that, I ignore it too!!! :?

#10 ·
Clunk

My 2001 had a clunk because the leaf springs did not slide against each other properly. The dealer first removed the plastic spacers between the leaves which did not help.

The only way I could get rid of the clunk was to lubricate the leaves where they rubbed together. Pry the leaves apart where they contact each other and pump in some chassis grease where ever they are rubbing together. This is an easy way to check if it is noisy rub as the noise will go away immediately.

I guess Ford forgot how to make leaf springs.

This would only work for a short while and then they would start making noise again.

Hope this helps,

Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.