460 Ford Forum banner

Jed's 1967 fastback

25K views 116 replies 25 participants last post by  Inbred-jed 
#1 · (Edited)
Actually started this build a year and a half ago and its a few short weeks from completion. I just finally got around to sharing some of the details with you folks. The car is a 1967 fastback mustang that has been in our family 40 years. My father drove the car as a daily driver for several years until attempting to race it in 1979. after a few failed attempts and blown engines the car was parked until 1996. After graduating highschool i began sinking every nickel i had into the car for the next two years. Starting out with cleveland blocks the car ran 11.70's until cracking two blocks and learning a valuable lesson. After sitting out a season in 2000 i brought the car out in 2001 with a 501 edelbrock headed engine putting me into the high 9's and 10.0s in the heat. It was backed by a C6 no transbrake and a makeshift ladderbar suspension (i was poor) I ran the car this way til 2012. The engine lasted 11 years and 3 refreshens and was still running when i sold it. I decided the car was destined for a new beginning..a total tranformation that i could not afford fresh out of highschool. The car had its rust issues as do all sixties mustangs. I had done a lot of patch work and cleverly masked alot of the cars problems with a great running engine and a decent paint job applied by myself. The car needed floors..quarters..cowl..etc etc....but i wanted a race car too. Ive always been in love with the cars at the track that appeared they drove in..full interiors practically...carpet..door panels..but really ran some respectable times. So i decided i didnt want a full tubbed out all aluminum interior stripped down tool for winning races. I wanted a car that still had the essence of the original car but with enough changes to make it a competitive racer. So in Nov 2012 I got started. Here are some pics of the car when i got started.

See less See more
#28 ·
Here is the wiring harness in the car...I went to Racewire Solutions ..Brian Black...awesome system...everything is fused and relayed...Plug and play...He gives you a system cd which contains specific diagrams for your system. Every system is different...very slick setup...Never in a million years could i have thought i could wire this car myself but i did....The car is also equipped with The Grid MSD ignition...awesome setup

#30 ·
some shots of inside the trunk while i was plumbing it up...the trunk floor is a sheet of bead rolled aluminum...5 gallon polished aluminum tank and an aeromotive A2000 pump with a prefilter...all plumbing is done in black nylon braid with Earls ano tuff black ends...

#32 ·
Trunks is beautiful, how thick is that sheet alum.

#33 ·
It's actually very flimsy...that's why we rolled a bead in the center...by the time I bolted it down with the stainless fasteners it's actually very sturdy. It did turn out nice. Once I finish it in a few weeks I'm gonna detail it and take a whole set of pics top to bottom. Hard to believe it's just gonna be an old beater bracket car...no trailer queen **** in my garage lol

#35 ·
Pic of the plumbing coming through the bulkhead to the aeromotive por stock 2 port regulator. You can also see the transmission cooler and lines i ran up over the engine to keep them away from the headers.

More plumbing in the trunk....

This is the ATI transmission puke tank...you can also see the Rossler Terminator 5 two speed racing transmission with Reid case and Roller tail..
Tci flywheel and 8" Abruzzi convertor

And chute mount...

#36 ·
Side view of completed engine compartment..I used a flexalite replacement rad for a 79 mustang with dual flexalite pusher fans in the front fit perfectly into the trimmed rad support. You can see the rad brackets i made from the aluminum panel that actually came with the rad kit. I sumply cut it in half and rounded the corners drilled some holes and bam...brackets!!

another view....you can see the lokar transmission locking dipstick..nice piece

This view you can see the 1450 quick fuel carb..Mafia intake...black crinkle powdercoated ford valve covers..Msd dizzy...HVC coil...strange master cylinder...fabricated 2 1/4 headers..etc

#38 ·
Wow

For a rebuild of a bracket car to a bracket car, this is amazing work. Looks to be well thought out and every detail considered. I am very jelous.
Great write up and plenty of pictures are good too.
When are you going to open up a shop and do this for others? Just kidding as personally doing that would ruin the enjoyment for me and I suspect for you too.

Good luck with the rest of it and I look forward to seeing how it goes on the track too.

#40 ·
Awestruck, speechless - I spoke to Lem by the way, talking about your build. Great dude, thanks for the info. He is working me up.

#42 ·
More pics outside with the hood off and engine in... these pics show no sideglass or moldings...They are intsalled now....29x12 hoosiers tucked on a 12" weld beadlock and black magnum wheels up front....The car is also getting a black gt500 stripe and fender emblems...those pics coming soon..

#46 ·
When you get pictures on here of that car all put together, I think I will have a new wall paper for my computer. Looks bad ***. Just right.

Jess

#47 ·
Now that is an awesome '67! I wish mine was anywhere close to completion as yours.

#48 ·
It just keeps getting better and better!

#50 ·
I swear it just keeps getting better. That is a spectacular rear end, and I usually reserve those type comments for my wife. Im looking for where your brakeline is running to the rear. Did you go down the tunnel or relocate to outside the frame rails?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.