460 Ford Forum banner

TOWER MODS

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Gydyup 
#1 ·
If anyone has pics and brief explanation of notching shock towers, but radiusing the notch like the Boss conversion vice a squared off cut, please post.

Buddy of mine is notching his 65, converting it to 67 suspension, and he is on the fence if its worth the trouble with the radiused notch.

If I did mine again, I would do it, looks way better and adds even more room.

Ironically his is a SBF build, but I have often said I would notch the towers regardless of BB or SB, and he has taken that.

#3 ·
I'm confused about the comment, switching to 67 suspension on a 65?
I understand the notch for clearance but the towers on a 65 are much different than a 67. The frame rails are identical but Ford moved the towers and LCA mounting points to increase the track width to make the 390 fit. In design the suspension parts are basically the same (65 thru 73) but not necessarily interchangeable. In fact the 67 has a one year only LCA and strut rod. The spindle geometry changed between the 65/66 and 67 and later as well. Some people have put Granada spindles on 65/66's but often have bump-steer issues. The drag link and tie rods are also very different.
Anyway, since the design is basically the same what advantage is he looking for by putting 67 parts on a 65?
In the context of shaving the towers, the suspension has no effect on clearance in the engine compartment. If you go to a strut conversion I think you can shave the towers much more since the original spring won't be in the way but they make those directly for 65's. Not trying to be a pain or anything, just curious!
I am in fact in the middle of putting 68 front frame clip (towers included) on my 65. With that conversion I NEED to also use the 67 and up suspension. I am doing this to gain space in the engine compartment while keeping it looking "factory" to the untrained eye. I will be able to put a big block in a 65 where even a 351W is a tight fit! As you know the 385 series BBF will fit without shaving the towers on a 67 so I am going for the WOW factor on the 65 because most people know the 65's have a smaller engine compartment and most people also don't think a 460 would fit in a 67 and up without modifying the towers. I have a 429 in my 67 and I know it would be easier to work on if they were shaved but I have lived with it for 25 years now.
Anyway, sorry for the novel, just curious what he is up to. I might learn something!
thanks

#5 ·
He is switching his front end totally to a 67, for the reasons you point out, wider.

While at it, and installing the 67 towers, he wants to also notch them to better clear the bigger headers he wants to run.

#8 ·
those will only work with the strut style conversion. Can't use them with stock type UCA. But cool idea if you are using the struts

#9 ·
shock tower mods

I cant seem to access my photobucket.
In this tread there are pictures of how I did mine. I think this is the most room you can have with the stock diameter spring and the upper A arm mount in the stock location.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163852

#10 ·
Yep, Dennis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.