460 Ford Forum banner

9 inch big bearing size

14K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Skidmark 
#1 ·
I have the new torino style big bearings in my 9 inch rear, what width is the bearing suppose to be? I'm thinking I may have gotten the wrong ones...

#5 · (Edited)
I just looked at the new bearing and see that it has 88128 stamped on it but I dont see RA..RB or anything. I also just measured the width of the bearing and got .825". I also tried to get a rough measurement of where the bearing seats in the houseing end and came up with a measurement less than that...:eek:
These are 31 spline axles off of a mid 80's 1/2 ton I do believe...dont know if this helps or not???

#7 ·
Mav, no I just tried to measure the recessed area where the bearing sits in the houseing end. I dont have the rear brakes yet, but will be going with a disc brake set up. This is for my 64 Fairlane pro street build as seen in the car build up section.

#13 ·
See what I'm talking about? As I stated before my bearing measures about
.825", and I get a rough measurement of about .682-.686" where the bearing should sit in the housing end.:confused:
For the sake of accuracy, please check your measuring device.
Here are the specs for that bearing. Outside diameter=3.1496"; Width=1.083"; Inside diameter=1.5312IN
Won't solve the problem just yet but will help when checking things if needed.
You gotta know your brake set up measurements as the backing plate will go behind the retainer.

#14 ·
bearings

relax you do not have the wrong bearings the 1/8inch of the bearing that is proud ( sticking out ) of the housing end-- locates the brake backing plate on the axle housing . every 8 and 9 inch housing has this same amount of axle bearing standout for this reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.