460 Ford Forum banner

77 Ford, best way to upgrade to a D60 front axle

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mud-Nut 
#1 ·
Newbee working on a project truck.. Want to upgrade the front axle to a dana 60.. The truck is driven on the highway and in the mud.. What the best way to upgrade the front axle? Been looking and doing some research on a 3-link set up.. Is the a better / easier way? Thanks in advance

#3 ·
If it is a leaf sprung truck you can just about bolt it right in. If it is a coil spring truck you have a number of options:
-buy weld on wedges from bronco graveyard or somebody and build a trackbar mount and do crossover steering with the factory suspension.
-remove the factory suspension and build some leaf spring mounts and shackle mounts and do crossover steering
-build a custom 3 or 4 link

#6 ·
i just did my 77 f150 with a king pin d60. the worst part was grindin out the c bushings i bought from bronco graveyard to fit the d60 axle tube... that is some HARDDD $hit!! but its all done now and i love not havin to worry about the axles breakin anymore.... only problem is i didnt take much time makin the track bar and steering arm the same angle so when your coils move up or down at all the trucks heads for the ditch...

#11 ·
I just did a D60 swap on my '79 F-150... I didn't use a new 60 though, I wanted to stick to the kingpins!! I swapped in a D60 from a '78/'79 F-350. I built all my own brackets and radius arms and whatnot... Here's my build thread on FSB:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123569

The 60 swap stuff starts on page 5 of the thread.... And continues on for a little while. Let me know if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.