460 Ford Forum banner

Jon Kaase headers at EMC!!!

14K views 79 replies 23 participants last post by  Lem Evans 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen the Jon kaase headers at the EMC?

I have...........WOW, OMG, WTF, :confused::confused::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

I hope someone can post a pic here!!

#2 ·
I would like to see them myself!

Link?

#7 ·
Spendy, spendy headers!

#16 ·
Likely what they were comfortable with. The factory COP would have made more sense. Am amazed they ran fuel injection although the way the rules are they really handicap you if you run a carb. Bet if not for that it would have had a big ole carby...

What kind of car do those fit? Or Did they do away with the commercially available parts requirement?

:confused:
All the rules say regarding headers is:

"Chassis-style exhaust headers that run down and back from the front of the engine required."

anyone know if he extended the port divider all the way out to the headers?
There was a reference to that affect on the EMC site, but not sure. He could have run any primary size under the rules, so would make sense to extend the port divider. Guess he found power in the split tubes. That engine certainly is strong. Just have to wonder how you get 400+ cubes out of a modular!

#24 ·
the top three were all 4V modulars. If the rules continue to allow 4V DOHC engines I'd say the 2V pushrod stuff won't be competitive anymore.
4V is the most competitive....at racing dynos under rules contrived to generate advertising dollars and sell magazines across a broad spectrum. :rolleyes:

In the real world with budgets, drivability, durability and ET's factored in, the 4V motors might not be quite so competitive.

#26 ·
Well done to Jon Kaase and his team on the WIN!!!!

Also well done to Freelander/oakley on a 572ci p-51 headed, mafia intake, 11.4 comp, HYDRAULIC ROLLER cam, quick fuel 4150 carb...........870hp & 815tq.........winning the highest HP & TQ award. Insane build guys!!

Cheers, Bob

#29 ·
I wish somebody would get ahold of 6.2L and see what could do at an emc event.must mustang and fast fords had an article on the roush/bowles mustang when the 6.2 first hit the scene.somthing like 7 liters,700hp,7000rpm on e85....! I really like the architecture of the 'BOSS" 6.2L

#31 ·
Humor me for a minute.....

Why would I buy a $7K crate motor, just to build a stroker out of it ??
I'd probably try to find a used one or even better, a core from the junk yard..
Probably ALOT cheaper that way.

#33 · (Edited)
Okay, let's compare junkyard build to junk yard build.

How about you guys sight a 4.6L build and what it costs, then I'll come up with a 460 based build for the same money and we'll see how they stack up? As a starting point, Used 460's can be bought for $500.00 on average. Car-part.com is showing about $2500.00 on average for mod motors.

Or we can use this magazine build for a 4.6L.....370Hp 345Tq for $4118.04. :rolleyes:

And lets keep it naturally aspirated ,pump gas, cross country reliable/drivable, and 1/4 mile performance.

#34 ·
Okay, let's compare junkyard build to junk yard build.

How about you guys sight a 4.6L build and what it costs, then I'll come up with a 460 based build for the same money and we'll see how they stack up? As a starting point, Used 460's can be bought for $500.00 on average. Car-part.com is showing about $2500.00 on average for mod motors.

Stop being an idiot.

#38 ·
600 ft lbs at 3000rpms out of a 400 inch n/a motor is incredible! They must be running the 5.4 blocks to get that stroke to work out and have a piston left. Only bad part of those motors are they are really wide.
I have seen the 5.4 navigator 4v put in a mustang with twin turbos with everything stock other than rods pistons and valve springs running 8.30's at 175 at 3300 pounds and the guy drove it a lot on street.

#41 · (Edited)
I think the mod motor vs. BBF could be an interesting comparison, but should probably be in it's own thread if somebody wants to debate it.

Back to the headers. There's some more in depth discussion over at YB where Kaase explained some of his process.

Link: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607392&page=26

;)

#55 ·
not sure what that has to do with making silly statements ...... you actually think any aftermarket 4v head would be allowed on any engine ? You can't even put a canted valve Cleveland head on a Windsor block, but you think someone could go purchase a McGee head ........

#66 ·
if it was news to you how the McGee head was "outlawed" I was just letting you know it's not the only thing they've outlawed, including running a Ford Boss 429 engine. Did you know they weren't legal either ?

#71 ·
Just a personal observation:
If it was me in the dyno cell for the qualifying round and there were only three engines to be run after me ... if mine was good enough to be in 2nd place at that point, I would stop any tuning and not go further because even if the three engines after me finished with more points for qualifying; I would STILL be in the final round.

THEN ... I have a whole day to collect my thoughts as to what further tuning steps need to be done and now can let it all hang out.

#75 ·
Yes sounds like common sense and also maybe use a safer tune in the qualifying (easy to do with EFI) to save the engine for the final if you know that tune will be good enough.

All was wondering is just what worth those dual primary tube headers were. Like anything else make some up and try them and know the answer.

#80 · (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kaase here. I am on the road still but will answer any questions when I get home. The phone is too slow to type on for me.
The original intent was to run long and short primaries on the same cyl. It was 200 ft lbs worse at 4000! They are 1 1/2 pipes. Kaase "

copy/paste form YB

Also:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607392&page=26

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.