460 Ford Forum banner

pg-bbf adapters????

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  White Lightning 
#1 ·
Any advice or opinions on pg adapters. Mid plate type vs Bell housing adapters? and do you use an adapter flywheel like Rid sells or the collar adapter for your flywheel. This is for a stock case,shorty for a hard tail dragster.

Ive heard 2nd hand that the mid-Plate type tend break trans cases.

IMO that would be more of an alignment issue then adapter type.

Id be interested in the group 1st hand knowledge.

#2 ·
Hands down Use the ATI kit its complete with all the hardware and the hub for the crankshaft. It has a 1/2 plate. If you ever go with a reid case or like the others you will need to replace the 1 lower mounting studs on each side of the adapter. These cases have a deeper mounting base. THis also makes it a little harder to get the trans out because of the room you have to slide the trans off the studs. Chevy guys have bolts. Is this car already built or being build? Last when you have a converter built there nothing special you have to do for the mounting pads. This way you can use your buddy's convert if your ever in a pinch or find a deal you can't pass up. I have a Neil & Parks car and had him move the trans and engine up like 3-4 " and us a funny car coupler and that way I have 4" to slide it back and get it out. I've had the TCI and had nothing but problems with starter alignment and they did want to do anything to help. Has a sleeve that go's in the back of the crank and the converter has to have the snout built up and the mounting pads, This way your stuck with one converter and some thing thats hard to sell down the road.

Ace

#3 ·
Used a 1/2" thick A1 adapter plate for a few years, Lost a couple converter snouts and several front pumps. Checked alignment at least 4 or 5 times never could figure it out.
Switched to the JW Ultra bell and no more problems.
If I was buying new today I think I would use the ATI two piece set up. The Reid is supposed to be very good but I question why I would pay 500 dollars for a complete flex plate adapter combo etc and then throw it away every two years??? Its bad enough paying 250 for just a flex? Then there's the fact that it has different overall dimensions.

Having the flexibillity of using a stock chevy pattern is good if you break one, always somebody in the pits with a spare. I keep my own.

dkp

#5 ·
Thanks for the input.
Bosshoss
What Flywheel are you running with the Jw bell? ford on ford pattern or ford on gm convertor pattern

Powerstroke
This is 2007 240" Innovative Chassis car, i'm converting from BBC to a BBF
Are you saying with ATI adapter you need to slide you motor 3-4" to remove the tranny

#7 · (Edited)
I run a 220" RED built in the late 70's with a BBF and a JW Glide. JW makes bellhousings that you can adapt the BBF to a glide by cutting off the stock bell and bolting the JW bell right to the front pump. I use a JW "The Wheel" flex plate and a 9" converter built for a Turbo style tranny and a steel mid plate. The converter has a adapter ring to get up to the 460 dia. crank pilot hole. Everything works great. I couple it to the 9" diff. with a Strange 2 piece coupler, makes pulling the trans a breeze. Hope this helps.
Rob Hawes
Anchorage Rod Works
Anchorage, Alaska

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.