460 Ford Forum banner

1986 coupe build.

20K views 70 replies 15 participants last post by  bajarick 
#1 ·
I just thought I would share with you all my current build. 1986 mustang that is mini tubbed tied frame and a 10 point cage. My son and I have been getting it stripped down and are at the point of rebuilding now. More detail photo's to come but here is what we have so far. GOAL 9.50s.. Here in Maryland one of our tracks runs a NINE inch NIGHTMARE class 1/8 mile (.400 pro-tree 6.50 index 9 inch slick with mufflers). Will swap slicks back to 10.5w that are currently on it and run brackets when the N I N class is not running..
Thanks for looking and will get more detail pictures as we go.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Looking for advice..

With a BBF upfront what should I run for front spring.. Tubular K member manual rack, motor set back 4-5 inches 90/10 lakewood struts and getting ready to purchase tubular a-arms and front coil over kit. What # springs??
also will be removing front bumper.
Thanks

Attachments

#9 ·
86 coupe update..

Engine is due back from MME motor sports this week (502ci).. Converter is with ultimate converters (Lenny) and My brother is freshening up the PG trans.. Here are some update photos.. The rear is back from bracing and welding check out the brackets.. This is engineered design by AUTOFAB race cars here in MARYLAND.. It is a bolt on kit with the exception the braces.. Contact Josh at autofab if interested and tell them Chris sent you.. Most of the electrical is in..

http://autofabcart.net/

Attachments

#11 ·
UPDATE.. TRIP to the track.

All,
Thanks for all the HELP from the 460 forum page. I was able to successfully get my 86 coupe down the track with only miner issues (front Line lock not holding and spinning hard when the night time air set in.
First pass off the trailer was 6.27 at 109 shifting at 5500.. leaving off of foot brake.. (shake down pass for straightness and stopping)
second pass left on Tbrake at 4300 to see what it could hold. Spun but went straight and of course the clocks did not work.. NO TIME.. but I was able to stay infront of 6.0 car.
Retry second pass.. Left line lock on after burn out but lowered launch to 3400 no spin but pulled to center lane because it was dragging left front wheel... 1.41 60ft lifted and motored down the track.
Third time run was on a pass but missed shift so only went 6.47 with a 1.40..

NOTE I am running a 9" night mare heads up (.400 pro tree) class (6.50 index) 1/8th mile.
First round of elims. I had a 1.37 60ft no spin and I raced the finish line lifting 2 time and dumping hard on the top end. 6.36 to his 6.35 run out. WIN
Second round elims. Race the class points leader. .070 light to his .086 raced the finish line. hit the brake with him and fed him the strip on top end 6.467 to his 6.409 break out... WIN
Third round SEMI's.. Bad light spinning hard peddling through the 60ft cought him and passed him by half track lifted twice to bring him in and fed him the strip 6.52 to his 6.58.. my light .161 to his .060..

First time out very pleased with everything and now just have to adjust suspension some, do to spinning at night.. I believe there are some 5.90's in the 1/8th carb is lean and suspension needs a little adjustment..

Any advice on QA1 single adjustable shock setting and rear four link bars heigth from ground.. I have multiple adjustment points on the rear but stock location on chassis..

Thanks
Chris..

#12 ·
More Track time.

Friday night racing after rear suspension adjustment for 1/8 mile track.
Best 60 ft 1.350 best ET to this point 6.15 at 111MPH with a little better then 3/4 throttle.. The index for the class we race is 6.50 so I am still way fast.. This coming Friday night going to pull 10 degrees of timming out it and shift it around 5800-6200 (currently 6500 shift) to see if I can get closer to a 6.50..

Will be at MIR this Saturday running the first (of two) TOP ET 1/8 ($5000) so I can finally see if the car is consistant..

My son turns 17 this weekend and will let him race the FOOT brake class at MIR Saturday afternoon.. He has made is first pass in the car this past Friday night Test and Tune with good results. He had 1.36 60ft 6.23ET at 107MPH peddeling it down track FOOT BRAKING it.

#14 ·
Trip to the track.

First off want to wish my SON Happy 17th Birthday.
This past Saturday evening I turned the driving duty over to my son Daniel for MOD ET at MIR race way.
The morning started out not so good I tried to run the car all out in TOP ET and had traction issues. I lost first round and had to make changes to the car so Dan could make a clean pass down the track without getting loose. I changed the instant center of the car and pushed it out closer to the front tires and WOW what a difference. Daniel drove the car like a true pro (He has not raced in 2+ years and that was a 7.90 82MPH JR dragster).
Time runs and eliminations for the day.
60 foot 1/8 mile E/T MPH
1st 1.352 6.107 112.32
2nd 1.358 6.108 112.85

1st round 1.363 60' 6.121E/T 111.42 scrubbing the brakes 6.10 dial in lost bad light so he wanted to buy back in..
BUY back run 6.13 dial .039 reaction time clock didn't work on the 60' (GRRR)
6.147 E/T at 106.11MPH dragging the brakes through the finish line WIN!!!!!!
2nd round 6.13 dial .035 reaction time 1.385 60' 6.149 at 105.70 MPH dragging the brakes WIN!!!!!!!
3rd round 6.13 dial .058 reaction time 1.364 60' 6.107 at 111.83 scrubbing the brakes LOST.. broke out opponent broke as well but not as bad and reaction times were within .007..

ALL in ALL very proud of my 17 year son..

#15 ·
1986 coupe Update

Would like to thank all the member here and give my last update on the 1986
coupe build. The car has been running real strong with a best of 1.34 60' 6.10 in the eight at 112MPH.. Been tweaking the carb to more fuel in it but have been rained out the past few weeks.. This upcoming weekend will be the true test if have gone in the right direction.. If all goes well I consider the stang done other then Paint and Lexan windows for next season. Follow my next project 1989 THUNDERBIRD SC..

Thanks
Chris

#16 ·
1989 THUNDERBIRD Build

Here is my next project.. Tube chassis Bird with Fiberglass frontend, hood, doors and trunk. Lexan windows and 9 inch rear with 4.29 gears and four link. I trade a my 2002 Harley FLHT away for it. It will get me old reliable 492ci BBF with a Bug catcher injection on it and powerglide to back it up. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

#17 ·
Update for both builds

Well my son and I have decided to swap car because he want to go fast (8.50s or better).. The mustang build ended up as a great foot brake small tire car running 5.98 @ 114MPH in the 1/8 and 9.46 @ 141 + MPH 1/4. The plan for the Tbird is 545ci with a set of Blue thunder heads (stage III porting). The one problem I am having is my son has it in his head that he think he needs to spin 7200-7500 RPM to make the 850-950 HP. I have tried to explain that BBFs do not need or want to turn those RPMs he is asking why..I told him that they are tall deck and longer rod engines that make gobs of torque and most of the HP number under 7000.. He thinks that he can put a .800 lift cam with big duration (300 - 325) that will allow him to spin it hard. A good explanation of why we do not need to spin HIGHer then 7000 would be greatly appreciated..
The Mustang is on a diet removing glass and metal with hopes of loosing about 100+ pounds for this season and changing the trans gear to 1.96 first and slightly taller rear slick 31 x 10.5 stiff sidewall. The stang was scaled last year at 2930 pounds with driver and fuel. Picked up a fiberglass nose and changing the factory style disc brakes to aero space all around as well.
The Tbird is in the process of reconfiguring the front end to aftermarket K member (cut a badly installed mustang II front suspension) plus cut out as much metal as possible. Hope to get the Bird down to 2500-2600 pound with driver and fuel with driver. Hoping this will get me in the range of 8.50s when it is all said and done.. I will get pics up later currently we are getting snowed up to our you know what.. COME ON SUMMER...
More to come later.

#18 ·
builds

nice builds, I really like the coupe build its rite up my alley, I'm building a 1988 T-Bird BBF/C-6 and its a full bodied car with power windows and mirrors, all lights work ECT:ECT:ECT: I've built a .030 429 with C8VE's and a small solid roller but I know I will be dissapointed in the HP and performance, its a good street/strip engine but not a good bracket/heads up motor, so I'm rounding up stuff to build a 514 and Edelbrock RPM's because I need/like to have 700/750 hp so it will run like your coupe. keep us posted when you get back to the track. thanks for a good read

#21 ·
More Pictures of Tbird

Progress.. Decided to move wheel back about 2 inches.. Having Strut bars bent at AUTOFAB race cars here in MD. Will pick them up tomorrow and hope to have the Bird mocked up and on the ground by the weekend.. So I can get back on the MUSTANG to for this season..

Attachments

#23 ·
MME

I have had nothing but great results with the MME engine builds. He has built a 472 that is currently in my brothers probe (8.80s at 152MPH) and the 508 in the mustang runs 9.40s at 141MPH. I will be taking MME my back up 492 at the beginning of this season to sit on the shelf as a spare.

MME is the best in my opinion.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.