removing emissions equipment 1986 f250 carb engine - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Rapid Ron Driving a Ford
Default removing emissions equipment 1986 f250 carb engine

I recently purchased a 1986 f250 4x4 with a 460 auto. I would like to remove all the air emissions crap under the hood. Any problems I might run into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 02:09 PM

dixiebandit69 Driving a Ford

Whatever you do take off, you should leave the EGR system intact, as it helps to stop preignition/pinging. AIR injection stuff can go, as well as the hot air intake.
What is on there right now? Some of the stuff should be left on.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 PM

DJOHAGIN Driving a Ford

You won't run into any problems, except maybe at the smog station. :shock:

Truth be told, the smog equiment in it itself, for that year truck, is not taking any power. I've seen some '86 with and without the cat, and if it has the cat, that will restrict the motor. The biggest hang up with the stock motor of that year is the carb, retarted timing chain, and the slow timing advance and total timing in the distributor.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM

ByronRACE Driving a Ford
Default Emissions stuff.

Don't forget the catalytic converter...considering the age, it's probably clogged and costing power.

Also, keep in mind if this truck has the A/B diverter valve for the air injection, there are holes in the back of the heads or in the exhaust somewhere that will need to be corked.

And as far as the EGR situation; I'm not sure I agree on the detonation/pinging comments but I'd keep the EGR anyway for the cruising mileage improvements. The system dilutes the air mixture with inert exhaust gas effectively reducing how much air/fuel gets into the combustion chamber during cruise. The mileage improvement is on the order of 10%. If this truck sees street time, this is a worthwhile thing.

Byron
Old 12-09-2006, 09:55 AM

johnray Driving a Ford

DJOHAGIN - you mention that the cam is retarded and the advance on the distributor is low. What year vehicle would you recommend swapping distributors from?

John Ray
Old 12-09-2006, 10:20 AM

DJOHAGIN Driving a Ford

Scott Johnson at http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/ has distributors set up already or you can purchase a kit from him to do your own distributor. You'll want about 20 degrees centrifugal advance in the distributor all in about 3000 rpm. Set your initial to about 12, so you'll have 32 degrees total timing. After that you can play around with the timing setting it between 12-16 degrees initial for best performance. It makes a big difference getting the distributor dialed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.