460 REAR FREEZE PLUG - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 AM

TCRUSH Driving a Ford
Default 460 REAR FREEZE PLUG

I finally got my block back from the machine shop.I'm getting ready to install the freeze plugs and I have a question on the rear plug.I have the how to build a big block ford book and i swear it says to install the plug with the cup side in.I thought you would install it the same way as the other freeze plugs.Do you bottom out the freeze plug,or does it need to be a certain distance in?Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 AM

pedal2themetal45 Driving a Ford

I don't think you bottom it out they it would be blocking the passage.. You would bring it flush with the out side of the block I would think..anyway thats the way I've seen them..
tim
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...al45/truck.jpg
Old 04-07-2007, 10:28 AM

BOSS 429 Driving a Ford

from the fact the bottom went in, but..we always install the cup side in, to many aftermarket cams have rubed the cup when put in the other way,plus it lets a little more oil back there,,,, so install cup in,and push till even with block face, done.....
BUY,SELL,TRADE BIG BLOCK FORD parts

CLYINDER HEAD PORTING
COMPLETE ENGINES
STROKERS TO STOCK SCJ TO BOSS 429'S
632 557 532 598CI ETC
READY TO RUN OR DYNOED
Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM

TCRUSH Driving a Ford

Thanks for the help.Thats how I will install it.I was surprised on how many people never heard of installing it that way.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Danny Cabral Driving a Ford
Default cam core plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 429
from the fact the bottom went in, but..we always install the cup side in, to many aftermarket cams have rubbed the cup when put in the other way,plus it lets a little more oil back there,,,, so install cup in,and push till even with block face, done.....
The above statement is incorrect. I, personally, have never had a camshaft contact a correctly installed core plug, nor have I seen or used an 'expansion plug' (as opposed to a 'cup plug') on a 429/460 engine.

A 'cup type' core plug is designed to be installed with the flanged edge facing outward (toward flexplate). This is because the maximum diameter of a cup plug is at the outer (sealing) edge/lip of the flange. It's imperative to install a cup plug into it's machined bore using the proper tool; it's not meant to be installed with a tool that contacts the flange. A cup plug is correctly installed when the flanged edge/lip is just beyond the chamfered edge of the bore/tunnel.

Conversely, an 'expansion type' core plug is designed to be installed with the flanged edge facing inward (toward camshaft). This is because the maximum diameter of an expansion plug is at the base/bend of the flange (with the flange flaring inward). It's also imperative to install an expansion plug into it's machined bore using the proper tool; it's not meant to be installed with a flat tool that contacts the crowned portion of the plug. The tool should push on the outer circumference of the expansion plug during installation. An expansion plug is correctly installed when the maximum diameter of the plug is just beyond the chamfered edge of the bore/tunnel.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 PM

63boxtop Driving a Ford

nicely put danny, the only ford engine that i could think of that goes the other way is the FE engine from all the pictures i've seen
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM

TCRUSH Driving a Ford

Thanks guys.I'm confused.The book says one way,but I have always installed them like a regular freeze plug.I should of looked at it before I removed it from the block.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 AM

mod4x4 Driving a Ford

The replacement cam plug that comes with the Clevite and Pioneer core plug set is a reverse taper plug, which is designed to be installed flat side out like an FE.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 PM

TCRUSH Driving a Ford

I have a Federal Mogul brass freeze plug kit.How do you guys think I should install the cam plug?Their is two ways and I'm not sure what to do.I have a early 70's d1VE block.Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 PM

PBR Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to PBR

Not sure it will you out or not TCRUSH but my D1 block has the plug flat side in - freeze plug style.

** EDITED to avoid confusion **
Changed cup to flat, realized everyone may not think of the cup lip being away from the block as cup side in.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:23 PM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

I have NEVER seen a 385 series cam plug with reverse taper, (as with the FE cam plug which actually says RT on the plug). Of course I use Ford Motor Company cam plugs so, they may have them somewhere but, I've yet to see one, ever since Ford started manufacturing this engine.
Install the flat part of the 2 1/2" plug IN with the edge OUT.

EDIT: changed the mis-typed 2 1/5" plug to read 2 1/2".

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 04-11-2007, 06:35 PM

Lem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue Path

Right or wrong , I install the cam plug with the "flat side" in ....with red loctite . We can get the plug in too far and preload the cam retainer at the front ...just do a trial fit to make sure the plug is not in too far in .
Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy
I have NEVER seen a 385 series cam plug with reverse taper, (as with the FE cam plug which actually says RT on the plug). Of course I use Ford Motor Company cam plugs so, they may have them somewhere but, I've yet to see one, ever since Ford started manufacturing this engine.
Install the flat part of the 2 1/5" plug IN with the edge OUT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans
Right or wrong , I install the cam plug with the "flat side" in ....with red loctite . We can get the plug in too far and preload the cam retainer at the front ...just do a trial fit to make sure the plug is not in too far in .
Thank you Randy and Lem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRUSH
Thanks guys. I'm confused. The book says one way,but I have always installed them like a regular freeze plug. I should of looked at it before I removed it from the block.
What book?
Why can't you look at your "removed" core plug?
Look at the new core plug...which way is the flange tapered?
Is the edge of the flange larger (typical cup type core plug) or smaller (expansion type core plug) in diameter than the flat side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRUSH
I have a Federal Mogul brass freeze plug kit. How do you guys think I should install the cam plug? Their is two ways and I'm not sure what to do.
It's not a matter of choice.
There is only one correct way to install a 'cup type' core plug!
There is only one correct way to install an 'expansion type' core plug!

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Forum Contributor

83-88T-Bird Guy Driving a Ford

I installed mine flat side in. The biggest question I had when I put it in was how far in does it go?? I started reading this post and started to get nervous that I had put it in backwards.

Thanks Danny, Lem and Randy for clarifying. Pics would be great at showing how far to insert. (if anyone has any) Alan

83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0 RHO
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 460
95 Mustang GT 5spd Saphire Blue (purple)
95 Mustang GT auto Saphire Blue (purple)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-88T-Bird Guy
Thanks Danny, Lem and Randy for clarifying. Pics would be great at showing how far to insert. (if anyone has any) Alan
The answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
A cup plug is correctly installed when the flanged edge/lip is just beyond the chamfered edge of the bore/tunnel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.