AFR BBF Heads??? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 AM

BFT Driving a Ford
Default AFR BBF Heads???

Just wondering if anybody knew why AFR doesn't make a set of BBF heads. I know a few guys that use their SBF and SBC heads and they are pretty darn good. Actually, why do ALOT of cylinder head manufacturers not mak a head for the BBF. I know there is a market for them, just wondering why???

Also why do mail order companys not advertize Ford like they do Chevy.
I was looking through one of the major catalogs the other day, they had (I think) 30 some odd crate engines and only 3 were Fords. I know alot of people build their own, but that just aint right. I mean Ford offers around a dozen crate engines, so why not put a few more in there. It's like there is some kind of Ford hating conspiracy! :lol:

Oh, and I love the "Ford's cost so much more to build" saying, that just makes me laugh. Let them keep thinking that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 AM

cougar1969 Driving a Ford

Because anyone can build a Chevy, not everyone can build a Ford to run, and chevies are a dime a dozen so they are cheap and everyone has parts for them.

Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 AM

ThndrChkn Driving a Ford

All 3 of my mchine shops here have asked me why I don't just build a BBC, they're cheaper to build and there's more of them they say. I told them, ya know, there's got to be a reason that when I look around your shops I see a Ford here, a Mopar there and about 50 chevy blocks sittin' on the floor, then I told them, well maybe them 'ol Fords just don't need the constant rebuildin' that the chevies do :wink:
It MUST be true, it's the only reason I can think of.

Doug... 8)
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM
dfree383

Thing about Chevy's is they had very good interchangeability for a very long time and the similar motors where made in very large quantities.

Ford had 4 different engine families (more if you count trucks) being build all at the same time and this causes alot of problems for aftermarket part manufactures and alot of added expense in production (need 4+ different parts vs 1 for the chevy).

Just a matter of Convience and Cost.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 AM
dfree383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThndrChkn
All 3 of my mchine shops here have asked me why I don't just build a BBC, they're cheaper to build and there's more of them they say. I told them, ya know, there's got to be a reason that when I look around your shops I see a Ford here, a Mopar there and about 50 chevy blocks sittin' on the floor, then I told them, well maybe them 'ol Fords just don't need the constant rebuildin' that the chevies do :wink:
It MUST be true, it's the only reason I can think of.

Doug... 8)
BBC's really are not cheaper to build............. I have a couple and its no cheaper building equal motors. In fact its cheaper to build a big inch Ford.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:26 AM

BFT Driving a Ford

Doug... 8)[/quote]

BBC's really are not cheaper to build............. I have a couple and its no cheaper building equal motors. In fact its cheaper to build a big inch Ford.[/quote]

Exactly my point!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM

BFT Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383
BBC's really are not cheaper to build............. I have a couple and its no cheaper building equal motors. In fact its cheaper to build a big inch Ford.
My point exactly!!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 AM

DaveMcLain Driving a Ford

I totally disagree when it's stated that it's harder to build a big Ford engine, nonsense.... They are easy to build and run well especially if your goals are to build a large 550cid+ size engine, much easier and less expensive than a Chevy or Mopar engine.

Another area is that a big Chevy with an out of the box AFR head isn't going to make more than 800 horsepower and probably not much over 700 horsepower. But, an A460 or EX514 head WILL make 900 horsepower with unmodified ports and that is fact....

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 PM

blastertech70 Driving a Ford

I would have to disagree guy's.

I'm pretty much a Chevy guy I come on here learning and getting aquanted with the BBF stuff becuse I help a fellow friend & racer that runs BBF motors. The more I know /understand the more I can help him.

Chevy motors under the 500 plus big inch statis with all the new & used parts availability are with out a doubt easier and more economical to build. Your selection of new parts are maybe not neccessarly alot cheaper but the selection to choose from is so much more. The used parts is better in both ways availability and price with so many to choose from and deal with. The poor mopar guys have it even worse.

As far as big inch motors BBF have an good advantage because they have a factory produced block in quanity/quality that can make some decent big cubes without all the block clearance issues chevy guys go through, the down fall is they lack cylinder head selection/availability at a good price and the used market place is pretty slim. You want good BBF heads your gonna pay. Even if you can build the shortblock cheaper if you want equal cylinder heads you gonna spent just as much money. Untill recenty A BBF guy coudn't even buy a forged crank his choice was a cast or a expensive billet. But the market on that has changed some offering some reasonable prices/availability now

There is so much emphissis on the BBF cast iron factory heads because the avalability/price on new heads are pricey and the used market is slim and pricey. BBC/SBC cast iron factory heads are a thing of the past nobody even takes the time and effort with them other than the restroation guys that are looking for correct numbers.

Not trying to offend anyone just stating facts and the diff I have seen in the past year dealing with something different than the Chevy product I am used to. Regardless I think the BBF builds are still more difficult/expensive than the chevy stuff
Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 PM

BFT Driving a Ford

I am not stating that AFR's are better by any means, I just think they are pretty good heads. I was only wondering why they don't make a head for the big block, they make some for the small block and they are awsome.

Also, by all the info I have found, It cost more to buy heads for a BBC than a pair of BBF heads (with equal or comparable head flow)
Old 07-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It cost more to buy heads for a BBC than a pair of BBF

I don't think so, like I stated before the chevy market is so saturated you don't have to buy new,The new market is more competive pricing and the used market allows you to shop for your dollar. Unfortunaley the BBF head new & used market isnt so forgiving.

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#BBFord ... This is a pretty good site to get some comparisoms, kinda fun to sift though all the heads/makes to get and idea
Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM

BFT Driving a Ford

I was refering to new parts. Here are a few NEW heads, assembled, out of the box.This is one example and I know there are a few companys heads that are a little cheaper but not that much. I am not going to argue with any one but most chevy guys think it cost much more to build a Ford and it is totaly untrue. To be honest the total cost for both is comparable with each other.

example:

Chevy
Brodix Big Dukes flow @.800 I=389 E=280 $4000-4300
Ford
Trick Flow A-460 flow @.800 I=412 E=300 $2400-2600
A-460 18 Bolt flow @.800 I=423 E=300 $2700-2900

Chevy
Brodix BB-5's flow @.800 I=384 E=238 $3200-3500
Ford
Trick Flow Streets flow @.700 I=350 E=240 $1900-2200
Kaase P-51 flow @.700 I=401 E=251 $2300-2600

Chevy
Brodix Race rite flow@.700 I=340 E=236 $2200-2400
Ford
Ford racing SCJ flow@.700 I=330 E=225 $1900-2100
Old 07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
dfree383

You can get new Canfield's for a BBC for $1500....... :lol:
Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM

65comet404 Driving a Ford
Default ok

Ok, So I will build a 557 ford with edelbrocks that cost $1700 and you build a 550 ich BBC with $1500 canfields. I think your $1500 block outweighs the $200 difference in head price. Well, you might find it used for $1000.

I sure do like the point BFT is making on the flow versus price difference. I don't think the Chevs have an argument.

By the way BFT, I talked to AFR at the 2005 SEMA show and they said they had a BBF head in the works or were going to get to it. I guess that fell through?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
sure do like the point BFT is making on the flow versus price difference. I don't think the Chevs have an argument.

Personaly I think the Flow numbers are loaded on the Ford side, if I dug through "everyones suggested flow nuimbers" I could load them on the Chevy side as well :lol:

If it makes you guys feel better that your getting the better deal, thats all it counts. like I said been chevy most my life and recently helping my friend I like the Ford hp/torq numbers for what he is doing but being directly involved I really think it has come at a harder/more expensive build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.