C9VE-B what's it mean? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM

79-6.9 Driving a Ford
Default C9VE-B what's it mean?

I've happened across 2 running engines in my friends junk yard. one has C9VE-B on the block with d3 heads and the other is still in the car so all I have is the head # C9VE-A. What's it all mean? i'm guessing 1969 but is there anything else these # mean. They are mine for the taking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM

cstmwgn Driving a Ford

It would be hard for me to pass up 2 blown up 385 engines for FREE.

It seems odd that you have D3 heads on a C8 block but anything is possible. They could have been rebuild heads put on it somewhere later in it's life or the block could have been a remanent that wasn't consumed until 73 or later (doesn't seem very likely).

With D3 and C8 heads - it wouldn't seem likely that they were anything special but the blocks certainly would be a good foundation to start a build with.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM

73 Mark IV Hot Rod Driving a Ford

8) They are essentially identical engine blocks. The B and the A are for the factory engineers or casters at the Plants on the different veriations I think I'm qouting Paul Kane on this a bit. Second if the are C9VE-B or A they are 10.300 blocks with thinner oil pan rails I believe. Also they should have the DIF (Dearborn Iron Foundry) cast on them. C8VE,C9VE and DOVE blocks all have a narrow pan rail. D1VE blocks can have a narrow pan rail but only in the AA version. AB or A2B blocks have a wider or unreleaved pan rail as do all D9TE blocks. Some DOVE-A blocks are cast with a large "A" on a square boss at the front of the block. Many of those particular blocks are also cast using Boss 429 bulkheads front and rear. This bulkhead has slightly more material under the front main cap than the regular bulkhead. Not all "Boss 9 bulkhead" DOVE-A's have the large "A". The rear bulkhead appears to be identical to other blocks with the exception of additional bosses near the rear cam bearing bore. In the actual Boss 429 block this additional material was used to accomidate the Boss 429's unique oiling system and also a bolt on cover instead of a drive in plug for the rear of the camshaft. None of the DOVE-A blocks are tapped or machined any different than regular production blocks in this area.http://misn.com/~frd460/blocksummit.html
hope this is helpful
Bud V
Old 11-18-2007, 05:32 PM

jrocco Driving a Ford
Default Re: C9VE-B what's it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79-6.9
I've happened across 2 running engines in my friends junk yard. one has C9VE-B on the block with d3 heads and the other is still in the car so all I have is the head # C9VE-A. What's it all mean? i'm guessing 1969 but is there anything else these # mean. They are mine for the taking.
C9VE - 1969 Lincoln Engine
D3 Heads are 1973 Heads with 94cc Combustion Chambers
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFordTorinoClub/
Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 PM

79-6.9 Driving a Ford

Thanks Guy's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.