65 ford galaxie 460 swap?? - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:18 PM

MauriSSSio Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle
Oh, for the alternator I made my own ghetto spacers to use a bracket I had laying around. Works good. I bought some factory 460 alt brackets from eBay and couldn't figure out how to make 'em fit.

Power steering? We don't need no stinkin' power steering. After a long arduous search I found a manual steering box for '65-'68 Galaxie and now run that in my '68 with the 460. I have come across a junkyard with several more manual steering boxes on '65-'68 Galaxies. By several I mean 2-3 probably. I'm thinking about getting one for my '66 convertible.

I like to keep it simple... No unnecessary fluids to leak, no added complexity. On that note I can't wait to get rid of my C6.
im interested in the manual steering components if you can get them. My 68 has PS but i want manual steering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 PM

cadunkle Driving a Ford

MauriSSSio, you have a PM.

Manual steering really isn't that bad to steer on my '68. It got a little harder with the 460 but not terribly so. I can still park comfortably. It's nice to have a clean engine bay and whatever little extra horsepower the pump robs.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM

stevejarboe69 Driving a Ford

I would like to have a cleaner engine bay.. Is all that you have to do is replace the steering box? I have 255/35/20 up front I wonder if they are to wide for manual steering to be comfortable at a stop.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 PM

cadunkle Driving a Ford

I have 225/70/15 in the frot of my '68 and with the 460 the manual steering is a little tough at a dead stop. Your arms get stronger. But other than that, the trick is to not steer at a dead stop. Just roll slightly whenever you turn the wheels and it's pretty easy to turn the wheel. Also note that the ratio in the steering is slower with manual. It's maybe 2 turns more lock to lock. Takes a little getting used to but that's waht makes it manageable, you ahve more "leverage" or gearing to turn the wheels.

I'm a less is more kind of guy, so manual is always superior to power in my eyes.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM

sheffield.mike Driving a Ford

i would like to see some pics of the fe mount set up as i will be swappping a 385 into my 65 merc do you have an adress to those pics?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM

cadunkle Driving a Ford

I got my server up and running again so the pics in the old threads will show. If you take the link I posted to my install thread on this forum you can then take the link to the N54 forum which has more detailed posts.

You'll see it took me from March 29th to April 6th to do the swap. March 29th the 460 was assembled and ready to go in but I decided to port the heads so I pulled the heads off and ported them, them reassembled and threw the engine in. The actual going from 302 to 460 only took 3 days, and one day of the whole duration was taking the car to the exhaust shop to get the exhaust matched up to the 460.

It really is an easy swap. Only thing I don't recommend doing is making your trans mount look like mine. That was only a temporary thing for last season. If I don't have the toploader in by this season I'll be making something nicer. Probably just a simple metal spacer that gives the mount more support on the crossmember.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 PM

cadunkle Driving a Ford
Default Steering box...

Just an FYI to those with '65-'68 Galaxies interested in manual steering... Here is a pic of the power vs manual box on these cars.

[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/Galaxie/68/SteeringGearbox/P1000095.JPG[/img]
Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM

is all that you have to do is change the box to convert to manual?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM

mudbogtom Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom

Happen to have the p/n from that power gear? I would like to compare it to the one on my 70 and see if they happen to use the same... I have a 65 manual gear I wouldn't mind swapping in.

Tom
Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 PM

r u wanting to get rid of your manual steering box?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 AM

cadunkle Driving a Ford

Yes the '65-'68 power to manual gearbox is a direct bolt in. I think the pitman arms are a little different but most boxes you find will still have the pitman arm on them. The pitman arms look almost identical.

I don't know what other years interchange, but here is a pic of the power box on my '68 so you can compare...

[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/Galaxie/68/SteeringGearbox/P1000091.JPG[/img]

[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/Galaxie/68/SteeringGearbox/P1000092.JPG[/img]

I can get you that part number of my '68 box... Eventually. Not sure exactly where it is, probably in my basement buried in parts for my '68 and '66. I'll probably be digging that box out soon to put it in my '66 unless I go manual from the junkyard. The power box in my '66 leaks profusely out the steering output shaft seal. The '66 convertible is kinda for sale if anyone is willing to pay for it what I have into it, so I may stay with power since most folks probably prefer that. If no one buys it by the end of the summer I'll probably keep it and do manual steering use the toploader I picked up for my '68, since it's a small input shaft and the '66 only has a 289.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM

46068gal Driving a Ford

hey Cadunkle, I checked back on your postings and saw the pic of the modified frame stand but wondered if you had any pics/details of the modification to the engine mount? What mount did you use - was if for a '68 390 Galaxie? Also wondering how the engine placement compares with using the 429 mounts - the rear of the passenger side cylinder head on my car is 7 inches from the firewall (I have no heater box or a/c) and 14 inches back from the radiator support. Any chance you could let me know the measurements on your car?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 AM

cadunkle Driving a Ford

I used '68 Galaxie 390 motor mounts. ALl you have to do to them is line up two of the bolt holes in the 390 mount to your 460, and mark the location of where the 3rd needs to be. It helps to have 460 monts, and just use the left to mark the right, and vice versa. Then drill your hole and bolt it on.

I know the FE mount setup puts the engine farther back than with the Crites mounts, and probably lower too. I will measure sometime by this weekend and give ou some more exact umbers. I will say that the FE mounts make the engine sit in there like it belongs. Looks like how it would sit from the factory.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM

MauriSSSio Driving a Ford

so to convert to manual steering from PS all you need is the manual steering box and pitman arm? does the idler arm need to be changed as well?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM

cadunkle Driving a Ford

Correct, all you need is the box and pitman arm. I did not change my idler arm or any other front end components. I was unablew to find any different part numbers for manual steering stuff, and it looked the same when I eyeballed it with power and manual setups side by side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.