DOHC 429 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM

foxman-523 Driving a Ford
Default DOHC 429

i's thinking,how would dohc heads work on an 11:1 429
mabey injected
any possibilities?
long rod hemi?
vvt?
523 SOON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 AM

cougar1969 Driving a Ford

First of all you would have to build one for it and I think the timing would be the problem....

Randy
Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM

ScottJackson Driving a Ford

I'm guessing you're using a Mercedes V12 as your base DOHC engine to make 429 cubes, right? Maybe a McLaren (BMW V12), but that's a lot more $$$. Or maybe cutting and welding some 4V modular ford heads to make the Triton V10 a DOHC. Anyway, I think it'd work great for several applications. If it's going in a light road racing car, I think it'd be just better to buy the complete McLaren F1 instead. Maybe the Enzo engine can be stroked to 429". I'd probably just see about adding boost to the stock 6L instead. Of course, if you add VTEC and some "Type R" emblems with some cool underbody strobe lighting, it'll be faster than anything ever created.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
dfree383

Just take a look at a 427 SOHC Motor Same Concept.... Worked fine.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM

DaveMcLain Driving a Ford

If you are thinking about coming up with some OHC cams for the big block I think I would try to look at as many production designs as you can to come up with the best packaging. Here are my thoughts. I like the Chrysler Neon single cam head design where the cam is down inside of the head and the simple roller rockers bolt down to the top it's simple and it seems to be quite strong and the head casting seems strong as well without having to be overly heavy. This also keeps the overall height down quite a bit. I wish the Ford guys who did the Modulars would have seen that idea before they settled on the design they used which turns out to be giant.

Drive the cams with a timing belt that's nice and wide, strong and reliable. This could be a cool, fun and very costly project but it would be nice to be able to design the intake port without any pushrods in the way.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM

cstmwgn Driving a Ford

Didn't Mr. Fueling (sp) design something along this line a few years back?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 AM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383
Interesting aside. I understand back in 1963 when Chrysler caught wind of the 427 SOHC they began work on a DOHC 426. When Nascar shut down the all the race only engines Chrysler dropped it. I bet if Nascar let things go we would have seen a DOHC head for a FE and 385 :!:
Old 03-11-2008, 02:31 AM

ScottJackson Driving a Ford

I bet if NASCAR let things go a bit longer than that there'd be 5 valve heads too, like race motorcycles have.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM
dfree383

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68xr7cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383
Interesting aside. I understand back in 1963 when Chrysler caught wind of the 427 SOHC they began work on a DOHC 426. When Nascar shut down the all the race only engines Chrysler dropped it. I bet if Nascar let things go we would have seen a DOHC head for a FE and 385 :!:
True, their where also some interseting OHC Olds motors in the the 60's too. Its crazy how alot of young people think all this stuff id new.... LOL
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Thunderchild Driving a Ford

I read a post on a Mustang board that gave credit to the import kids for turbo engines. LOL I did my duty and corrected him.

1999 Cobra Vert SOLD
1970 Lincoln Continental Mark III GONE
Protect your hobby. Join the SEMA Action Network ===> www.SEMASAN.COM
Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM

moparman Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to moparman

Speaking of the DOHC Hemi, as I understand it, they did build at least one of them, but as I also understand it, they were able to keep up with the SOHC Fords with the standard pushrod hemi and then NASCAR changed all the rules making it a moot point anyway. Don't take that as gospel because I've read so many different stories on it and they all seem to contradict each other.
I was telling some kid at the autozone a few years back that I planned on putting turbos on my v8 mopar. His reponse was that turbos were for imports, you can only put a supercharger on a v8. Conversation was pretty much over at that point. Also got into a conversation with another import kid about VVT. He kept insisting that if the big v8's had it they'd be awesome, but I couldn't get across to him that VVT is more of an emissions and driveability factor than anything else. Don't get me wrong, it can make for a better driving engine down low in the RPMs but it's mostly to keep overlap to a minimum where you don't need it. The VTEC Honda stuff is pretty interesting though, with their small lobes at low RPM to big lobes at high RPM.
I still get a laugh at some import guys bragging how their little 2 liter makes more horsepower per liter than my big v8. Can't seem to make them understand that I still make more power than they do.
Sorry to go a little off topic.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM

moparman Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild
I read a post on a Mustang board that gave credit to the import kids for turbo engines. LOL I did my duty and corrected him.
This'll make you laugh then. Some mustang forum down in Austin, TX has a member whose id name is "DomesticRice". Apparently he's giving credit for overhead cams to the imports. Thought it was pretty amusing myself.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 PM

moparman Driving a Ford

Just found this and it was back in the fifties. Pretty cool stuff, though I don't know why they didn't go to multiple valves.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=225304

And I found this too.

http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/s...7824#post27824

Don't know if any of it helps you, but it could give you some idea of the problems they had so you can try to avoid them if you actually try this.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

cstmwgn Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmwgn
Didn't Mr. Feuling design something along this line a few years back?
Got to love the internet - it gives anyone the power to demonstrate their stupidity to the world. ops: ops:

I got off my lazy butt and did a few searches and it appears that Jim Feuling desinged CenterFire 4 valve heads for 385 series engines not DOHC heads.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM

peganit Driving a Ford

DOHC's and 4 valves per cylinder are nearly as old as the Otto cycle engine itself.

Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.