Any one have info about a 1970 1/2 Ford Falcon??? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Bigblock89 Driving a Ford
Default Any one have info about a 1970 1/2 Ford Falcon???

Here's the scoop. Friend at work was trying to sell a vehicle. Guy #1 comes to look at it and starts talking to him about trading the vehicle for some engines he's trying to get rid of. Friend not interested in trades, but lets guy #1 know I might be interested in checking them out because I'm looking for a project. Anyway, due to life's general issues, we were never able to make the road trip happen and it fell to the way side. Guy #1 contacts him again recently and mentions he has a friend who is trying to sell some older Fords including a 1970 1/2 Ford falcon with a 428. Insists that its a 428.

A little research turns up this is essentially a Gran Torino, just slightly different, and it was a very small production run AND they had all the same options available as the Gran Torino up to and including the 429CJ. Now, why would it have a 428? Some more digging turns up a rumor that Ford installed 428s when the 429 ran out. Some people who ordered the car with a 429 CJ actually had a 428 car delivered to them.

Any of you gurus out there have any interesting knowledge about this? Any ideas about what a fair price would be for a car which is supposed to be complete? Dont kow the overall shape it's in, but was told it is a complete car. trying to arrange a road trip ASAP. Any and all info is appreciated.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 PM

cougar1969 Driving a Ford

I have known some people to mistake a 428 for a 429 and such so it could be either or... Keep us posted

Randy
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM

Phil Driving a Ford

Get a VIN
The 429 Falcons are very rare. If its an FE its been swapped.
The VIN will say if it was a sixxer car swapped or what.

My buddy Jerry Ostaleki has 2 SCJ Falcons, one auto, one Stick
They are both in magazines this month. Hemmings and MCR.

I think there were 16 SCJ cars built.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Default VIN info sources?

Good info so far...

Where can I get a VIN code breakdown for this car? Are the engine codes identical to Torinos?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Phil Driving a Ford
Default Re: Any one have info about a 1970 1/2 Ford Falcon???

Man, I barely know where to begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock89
Here's the scoop. Friend at work was trying to sell a vehicle. Guy #1 comes to look at it and starts talking to him about trading the vehicle for some engines he's trying to get rid of. Friend not interested in trades, but lets guy #1 know I might be interested in checking them out because I'm looking for a project. Anyway, due to life's general issues, we were never able to make the road trip happen and it fell to the way side. Guy #1 contacts him again recently and mentions he has a friend who is trying to sell some older Fords including a 1970 1/2 Ford falcon with a 428. Insists that its a 428. It isn't, unless someone put it in

A little research turns up this is essentially a Gran Torino,
No it isn't. The Gran Torino was produced in 72 and up. It was a former Chevy guy (bunkie Knudson's) design and its a full frame car. 100% different than a Torino/Falcon/Fairlane in 70. The 70 1/2 Falcon was produced in the latter half of 70 due to the new samller body Falcon having issues passing government crash mandates. The Falcon was generally a midsize stripper with rubber mats etc but could be ordered with the full line of Ford 70 engines. from the 200 six up to the 429 SCJ Ram air. The way to tell a Falcon from the Torino and the 70 (last year for the) Fairlane is the "post" quarter window. The Falcon had the metal frame around the door glass much like the 4 door and wagon. All others, Cobra, fairlane, Ranchero etc had a glass side and quarter window.

just slightly different, and it was a very small production run AND they had all the same options available as the Gran Torino up to and including the 429CJ. Now, why would it have a 428? Some more digging turns up a rumor that Ford installed 428s when the 429 ran out. Some people who ordered the car with a 429 CJ actually had a 428 car delivered to them.

Never happened. the 428 wasn't being produced in 70 for cars

Any of you gurus out there have any interesting knowledge about this? Any ideas about what a fair price would be for a car which is supposed to be complete? Dont kow the overall shape it's in, but was told it is a complete car. trying to arrange a road trip ASAP. Any and all info is appreciated.........
If the car is a CJ or SCJ ram air car with minimal rust plan on spending $65,000+ They made like 16 of those. No idea on the Thunderjet cars.
If it has a 428 in it figure the cost of selling the FE and if it has anything but a C, J or N code in the Vin the car is worth about what a good Falcon grill will fetch on Ebay=$1500

For more info post here www.torinocobra.com/forum
Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Phil Driving a Ford

SCJ falcon

http://www.torinocobra.com/videos/MOV06104.MPG

VIN chart

http://www.torinocobra.com/torino_vin_70.htm
Old 03-14-2008, 10:10 PM

Default Thats the kind of info I'm talking about!!

Phil,

Thats what I needed. As for the Gran Torino...Torino thing, I know you are right. I had a 72 Gran Torino Sport for a little while and I have a bad habit of calling them all Gran Torinos.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Phil Driving a Ford

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry man, I'm a Torino snob.

You should hear me talk about Macs :roll:

I really hope its a diamond in the rough. Don't be too surprised if it isn't.
70 1/2 Falcons are very cool because not many are around anymore

If you need any help with anything hit me up.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 AM

joemcfee Driving a Ford
Default Falcon

I have a friend here in town that has a 1970 1/2 Falcon. It is a 429 SCJ 4 speed car. They are very nice cars. Good Luck
Old 03-15-2008, 06:30 PM

Phil Driving a Ford
Default Re: Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcfee
I have a friend here in town that has a 1970 1/2 Falcon. It is a 429 SCJ 4 speed car. They are very nice cars. Good Luck
Joe, Have him drop in on us at the Torino forum.
We'd love to see that car!!

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/
Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Lem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue Path

My service manager has a 70 1/2 falcon . It is a very solid no rust unit . His aunt bought it new as a 6 cyl....it now has a windsor engine .
Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Default so much for that....

Apparently he cant tell a 429CJ from a 351C. It's a M code car with shaker scoop. Shaker assembly was gone when I got there and (for me at least) there's too many issues that would need to be addressed to make it nice. Maybe next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.