460 Ford Forum banner

Two Engines, Two Different Applications, Three Intakes

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  69 F100 LWB 
#1 ·
I'm basically looking for opinions on what intake to put on what engine.

Both engines are 472's, 9.5:1 cr, D0VE heads, Basic port work, 2.19/1.71 valves, and have Rhodes V-Max lifters. Both sets of heads are port matched to a CJ intake.

I have three intakes:

Weiand Stealth w/CJ ports
Edelbrock Performer
Offenhauser Dual Port w/CJ ports

And two very different applications:

69 F100, 4000 lbs, C6, 3.50 posi, 31 x 10.5 x 15, 5500 rpm max
Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 X4-270-H cam
Headers

76 Glastron Carlson CV-23, Berkeley Jet, AA Impeller, 5000 rpm max (impeller limited)
FRPP M-6250-A443 cam
Stock aluminum risers

How would you mix and match them up? And of course, thanks for any and all advice. 8)

See less See more
#2 ·
I've included this page unchanged for the original as a service to the BBF community and the page dropped of the web from its original URL. I don't endorse the results and it is not my intention to plagorize the work.

BBF Intake Shootout!
Well, gang, here is the *legal* version of the shootout. I am prevented from publishing actual dyno results, but I'm going to list the intakes in order of WORST to BEST for torque, horsepower, and editor's choice "Best All-Around" 385-series intake. I hope you enjoy the results and you can make use of them!!!

All dyno pulls were run on my C9VE 460 block, bored .030" over, with C8VE heads (same as D0OE) with 2.19/1.8 Ferrea SS valves, Harland Sharp 1.73 roller rockers, and a Lunati flat-tappet camshaft (relatively mild, 06166 grind, 218/218 dur. @ .050" and .527"/.527" lift). The carburetor is your typical Holley 3310 off-the-shelf with NO jet or spring changes. Exhaust consisted of CJ manifolds, from a Torino (D0 casting numbers). I felt this combination best epitomized the "warmed-over" street motor most of us build. Any variations from the basic combination are noted (such as carburetor, most notably). The dyno was a Go-Power measuring from 1500-5500 RPM in 100 RPM/sec increments, that's about all the numerical data that I can divulge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to Worst, for making TORQUE
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
D2VE Stock
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Weiand Stealth
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)
Edelbrock Performer/Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued] (TIE)
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor)
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Torker II
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to Worst, for making HP
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic
Edelbrock Torker II
Weiand Stealth
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) SURPRISE!
Edelbrock Performer RPM
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D2VE Stock
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued]
Edelbrock Performer
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)

Editor's Choice
for Looks: the Blue Thunder Dual-Quad, but $$$
for HP: Offy Port-O-Sonic, good results and will fit under most hoods
for TORQUE: Weiand Stealth (NO QUESTION...hint, hint)
Best All-Around: Weiand Stealth

Well boys and girls, there it is in black-and-white w/ NO bribery or "urging" from advertisers. I'd like to thank those of you that let me borrow intakes for an EXTENDED period of time, my engine builder who donated time (after hours) on his dyno (thanks Chet!), and those who put up w/ me all hours while swapping intakes! Sorry for lack of pictures, we planned on getting them later but due to aggravating circumstances we just wanted to get the page up and visible to all who were interested in the results!!!

#3 ·
I do not know where the above info came from but has been floating around. I am not the author and as such I have no idea how accurate it is.

My pick would be to put the stealth on the Carlson and the performer on the F-100. I have the same motor with the stealth on my F-250 and it works great. Have a torker II on my jetboat. I am interested to know how the dual port works with the CJ port size.

#5 ·
Rapid:
That will ALL change when you put a real camshaft in the engine or a good pair of cylinder heads.
OR, if they were tested at PART throttle.

69 F100 LWB:
Those lifters are unnecessary in the boat and probably a horsepower hindrince.
In any case...
Put the "Performer" on the truck and the "Stealth" on the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.