460 vs 351, i need convencing - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Build Archive

Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 PM

79stang93 Driving a Ford
Default 460 vs 351, i need convencing

Ive been a mustang fan for a long time. I had one along time ago but i sold it and now im trying to get back in the mustang world, but its hard to do. I have kids now and a farm to keep me busy, plus not to metion on a tight budget. Ive been selling parts from the local junk yard to have extra money, this is where my mustang money will come from i suppose, but any way enough with that now down to business.
I want a mustang that i can cruise with on the weekends if possible well not every weekend, and hit the drag strip once or twice a year. Here in somerset ky we have a big car show on the 3rd sat of every month, during the summer months and it attracks a lot of cars. When the car show is over they cruise the streets which would be fun.

Heres the dilema I cant make my mind up between a 351w and 460 to build. I know theres no replacement for displacement but theres no replacing the money ethier once its gone toward something.

Does the initial swap cost alot to do.(headers, mounts, crossmember etc)
How is drivabilty with the big block i hear its bad for over steer. I already have a set of dove-c heads, but i wonder what it would cost to port n polish these bad boys or would it be cheaper to buy aluminum heads. The small blocks have way more parts avaible than big block i think. What kind a tranny do most of you run, does any one run a 4 or 5 speed behind the 460beast. Just tell me your thoughts please and all help and guidence is greatly apprecitated.

Oh yea i read where some of you are going to the world finals in oct 2-5 in BG KY, i plan on going as well ive been to a few of them and they are awsome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 11:12 PM

79stang93 Driving a Ford

Ok someone talk about there ride already, is it streetable or what, what kind of tranny are you running, does anyone have a 4-5 speed, any help is great
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Forum Contributor

schmitty Driving a Ford

This should be in Gen Tech or Chilly's garage. You will get more responses there. You could do a fairly stock rebuild with a cam swap on the cheap and that motor would live forever and make you smile each time you hit the loud pedal. It would cost just as much to do the 351 and make a lot more power IMO.
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:31 AM

79stang93 Driving a Ford
Default ok gen tech

OK i wasnt for sure where it should be placed so i will try it again and see what happens, thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 AM

Gasser Driving a Ford
Default 351w vs 460

Here is my opinion and if I say so my self I am "very" qualified to answer you !!!! seeing as I own both

I love my little 351w but compared to the 460 no contest but it does really come down to what you are doing with it
the 351 is cheaper to run revs quicker and higher and is easyer to work on in a car

the 460 makes more Hp and tq dont have to rev it to make Hp and sounds better

just MO

Steve

An Aussie with a 466 Mach 1 Soon to be C headed 572 on NOS hope I brung enough !!!

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/Gasser69/
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
1997superstang

this is my frist BBf build..;.however i just traded the stang off and got this falcon witbh a 460 in it..my stang had a 347 in it..solid roller nice heads ..street driven..it ran 11.40's and was getting faster each time out as i was getting it dialed in..i shifted it at 6500 and crossed the line at 7000..thanks to 4.56 gears..but it had 4340 crank and h-beam rods with srp pistons ..nice stuff..now this BBF i have..all stock but the solid roller and intake ..the big motor guys say go big..at this point I'm undecided ..lol..that 347 was a bad little bitch that kicked some big block ***, but it cost me a lot $$$ to build it like that..from what i heard , the 460 motors will run just as fast with less motor and use stock parts..there is just something about a skinny block ford, but if i had the same amount $$ in a 460 it would have been faster ..i guess
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM

79stang93 Driving a Ford
Default Its a hard decision for me to make

Im just concerned how well a fox mustang handles on the street with a big beast in it, can it corner or not, i want a mild buildup that i can drive it on the street and car shows, and of course throw a 150-200 shot a N20 at it. has anybody put a manual behind there 460mutang that you know of.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 AM

NitrofishGT Driving a Ford
Default Re: Its a hard decision for me to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stang93
Im just concerned how well a fox mustang handles on the street with a big beast in it, can it corner or not, i want a mild buildup that i can drive it on the street and car shows, and of course throw a 150-200 shot a N20 at it. has anybody put a manual behind there 460mutang that you know of.
These can all work and I'm sure there's other options too.
4 spd-Toploader
5 spd-TKO 500/600, G-Force T-5
6 spd-Built T-56
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 PM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

You're worried about understeer then contemplate using cast iron heads - you should be ashamed of yourself. :shock:

Tell me what 351W or any car with big tires on the back and narrow tires on the front handles well on the street.

I'll take this customer's big block 514" Cobra kit car, (it has a Tremec 5 speed and 1st gear is about useless), and drive rings around that 351W Mustang - the engine will make little difference about "nimbleness" - it's about the car; (and how it's set-up).

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 AM

79stang93 Driving a Ford
Default yes im aware of the set up

set it back and drop it down is the way to go, i understand that, and there other ways a person can save weight also. im not going to race mountains or anything like that, a person, i just want a good drivable car that can go to car shows and kick a little chevy butt while im cruising in town,
I like to have 500hp n/a and have a little juice on tap, i dont think that would be to bad.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM

A fairly docile, stock type short block, hydraulic lifter cammed 466 can make that 500 horsepower easily.

There are several good builds in this section.

CUSTOM ground camshafts
CNC porting
Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 AM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

It's alot easier and cheaper to get 500/550 hp from a 460 than any 351. Rick

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM

98aggie Driving a Ford

You could use a aftermarket windsor block and make a 461ci or 480ci windsor motor. Cost will be close to the same as the BB460.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 PM

cougar1969 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98aggie
You could use a aftermarket windsor block and make a 461ci or 480ci windsor motor. Cost will be close to the same as the BB460.

can I get some that weed you been smokin? Hell the block for a 481 small block is like high dollar 460 hands down

Randy
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 AM

98aggie - are you kiddin' here - the COST would not even be close; thousands of dollars difference for the same power level.

CUSTOM ground camshafts
CNC porting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.