Harmonic Balancer Removal/Timing Cover - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM

MustangMatt96GT Driving a Ford
Default Harmonic Balancer Removal/Timing Cover

Well i broke my timing cover while doing my water pump... i feel like an ***....Luckily Mico gave me another 460 timing cover. But i cannot get the crank bolt loose... i have tried everything but my impact gun. Tried using the starter and keeping the breaker bar in one place but i was not strong enough to get the breaker bar to stay in one place. If i take my impact i am worried it is not going to have enough power to get it broken loose either.

I have a piston stop, but i have always heard to no use one to "lock" up the engine while trying to loosen something that is part of the rotating assembly. What is another way to lock up the engine so i can break this bolt loose?

And my other question is. Mico gave me a timing cover with a fuel pump place on it. My truck is EFI, so i was wondering if i can just cut a piece of steel and make a gasket for it and call that good, or if I need an EFI one.

Thanks again Mike for the timing cover.

Thanks

Special Thanks to

Kevin at www.baselinesuspensions.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM

John I. Driving a Ford

If your impact doesn't have enough power, can you rent or borrow a 3/4" impact? Or pull the starter and get a buddy to jam a big screwdriver into the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel.
I wouldn't use a piston stop for fear of breaking more stuff!
As long as the timing cover is the same as the carbed one, building a blockoff plate will work. Or buy a chrome one off e-bay and make it look real nice.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 PM

mustangsrus803 Driving a Ford
Default problem

You may can take your bottom pulley off if you havent already and put some longer bolts in a couple of the pulley holes and use that to put a pry bar inbetween those bolts to hold against you pulling on the crank bolt .righty tighty lefty loosy. will say a rayer for ya too ! :wink: Nick D
We have the 62 FORD Galaxie Drag car back home and getting it cleaned up and tuned up for some goodtimes !! 460 AR Cobra Jet heads Dominator , offy portasonic , 620 Solid cam 60 over , fiberglass fenders and hood , Won several times at Pageland S.C.from Recent owner and won many nostalgia dragraces ,grudge runs at Farmington and Mooresville and Old Shuffletown when My Dad and uncle raced it !!! No Electronics ,footbrake car with C6 , Runs 6:80s 1/8 th mile
Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John I.
If your impact doesn't have enough power, can you rent or borrow a 3/4" impact? Or pull the starter and get a buddy to jam a big screwdriver into the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel.
I wouldn't use a piston stop for fear of breaking more stuff!
As long as the timing cover is the same as the carbed one, building a blockoff plate will work. Or buy a chrome one off e-bay and make it look real nice.
same mounting points.... just got to plug the dipstick tube and put a block off plate on it... (not fancy, this is a work/daily driver that i have never washed...)

and i think my 1/2 impact should have enugh power.... i sure hope so! ill be using PB blaster too... thanks guys

Special Thanks to

Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Got the harmonic balancer off... but now tere is a pie shaped thing held on with a keyway. How is the best way to get this keyway off? thats the only thing hanging me up right now. Thanks guys

Special Thanks to

Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM

cletus66 Driving a Ford

Gently tap it out with a hammer and a screwdriver. It should pop right out.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 PM

notch 501 Driving a Ford

I dont want to come off sounding like a jerk but when i started building my motor i got a shop manual..it helped alot.....i still like hearing the questions its like a game show tring to help with the answers.....
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notch 501
I dont want to come off sounding like a jerk but when i started building my motor i got a shop manual..it helped alot.....i still like hearing the questions its like a game show tring to help with the answers.....
I would... but i have been through my fair share of engines.... but 187K miles is on this one and makes everything harder than hell... I have built a few 4.6 modulars and a few 289/302s and am building a 351W for my mustang right now... I actually do not like shop manuals ehtier, because its easier and almost quicker to get an answer here...

But a few years ago i would never had even removed a bolt without a manual... so yes i agree. I also have two online subscriptions to online manuals (never use them).

THis is my first BBF to work on... and i like it... just wish my truck was not on 35s to make it hard to work on...

But i got the keyway out after letting it soak in PB blaster and a small hamer and screw driver...

Special Thanks to

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM

notch 501 Driving a Ford

I feel your pain i had the milk crate kick out on me a couple of times :x
Old 01-09-2009, 09:03 AM

64GALAXIE500XL Driving a Ford

lol.... I use to have the same issue!! I got tired of the plastic milk crate sliding on the smooth concrete and ended up putting some old rims on the front that we had lying around with no rubber on em. worked good.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM

mico Driving a Ford

Matt,
If you needed a manual I could have loaned you one when I gave you the cover :P Are you having fun yet? No worries I have some more spare parts if you need them :lol:
Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mico
Matt,
If you needed a manual I could have loaned you one when I gave you the cover :P Are you having fun yet? No worries I have some more spare parts if you need them :lol:
I hate working on this truck... nothing goes right... but now all i got to do is put the oil cooler back on the radiator back in alternator on and fire it up.... a 2 hour water pump project turned into a 5 day adventure....

And Mike I really appreciate you letting me have that, saved me a big headache with mom (would have had to borrow for it if bought new)...

Hoepfully i can get my Daily Driver back up and running correctly and not have to work on it... i have owned it almost two months now, and it has not been driveable for more than 6 days at a time...

Special Thanks to

Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 AM

bcr466 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by notch 501
I feel your pain i had the milk crate kick out on me a couple of times :x
That really hurts me when it kicks out and I fall on my rib cage and chest after having the breast plate cut open during heart surgery.

Bob Carr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.