6126 Hooker Headers On Lincoln Mark V w/pics - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:19 PM

AndyMarkV Driving a Ford
Default 6126 Hooker Headers On Lincoln Mark V w/pics

I'm getting closer to having a set of Hooker SC 6126 on our 77 Lincoln Mark V.
The drivers side required us to have the car almost 2 feet in the air and jack the motor as high as it would go with both motor mounts loose. Even with the motor jacked up, the father in-law had to use a pry bar to push the motor towards the pass side to get the header slid in there. Things are close, but they seem to fit pretty well. From what I hear, there aren't too many headers that fit super well.

The passenger side you can throw up in there with the motor dead flat in its mounts!! I think I will have to clearance one tube around the idler pitman arm. But other than that, it looks pretty good. Starter clearance looks almost better than the manifolds. I am concerned that header heat may make a mess out of the AC box. I think some of the adhesive reflective insulation might help?

The collectors seem to be close to the trans cross member and outside the cross member exhaust humps. I haven't quite figured out what to do there. After I get the headers fully bolted up I can get some better measurements.
I was thinking of starting with these headman hook-ups and cut and paste them together.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I may have to also cut back the collector some like TrickFlowRick did.
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthr...highlight=6126

But all in all, I think its doable. And I get to see if Greg is right after all!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_P View Post
I will make a GUARANTEE to you that you WILL notice a big improvement with headers.

If you don't see an improvement after buying headers for your car, I'll buy the headers from you.
Greg
Just kidding Greg!!
I know its just a budget bomber, but we're having fun!

I got a little more done...
The collectors were too close to the trans crossmember so I had them cut back 2.5"s and rewelded. (thanks to TrickFlowRick for posting his hook-up pics)
The converters are on there to pass visual inspection. They are 2.5" straight piped.

Here is my cliff notes;
To install my driverside header I had to take out both motor mounts and jack the motor almost as high as it will go. You will know when its high enough because there will be wiggle room when the other guy uses a pry bar to push the engine to the passenger side. (If it isn't high enough, we found the motor wouldn't move much when you pried on it) We found that prying the motor over to the side was the only way to get it to finally slip in.
The driver side header was the only one I needed to clearance. BUT these were used headers with clearancing already done to them.

The passenger side can be thrown up in there with the motor flat in its mounts (get the driverside taken care of first, if you jack the motor up with the pass side on it will hit the floor/firewall)
I did clearance some of the flange, it was really close to the trans.
Speaking of which, I did cut the collectors back to get a little more room from the trans crossmember. (side note, It looks like the pass side might have hit the floor if the collector wasn't shortened)
The header hook-ups were the most time intensive part. I think there are better ways to do it than the way I did it. You'll have to get creative. Mine are ugly abd booger welded. But now I can get it to a shop that can do it right.

I still need to move somemore things around to have more heat clearance. Brake lines, trans cooler lines were some of the most obvious.
This steering return line I'm going to replace and move on top of the fender.

Also the plastic AC box probably need some kind of protection before summer stop and go traffic....

I won't lie, for a newbie like me this was a pain in the ***. But it is very doable. If you are willing to fight though it, you can put Hooker 6126's on a Lincoln Mark V.
If people need specific pictures, I will do my best.
We haven't driven it yet, so I don't know what kind of seat of the pants improvment there is. I do know it sounds nasty! I bet it's mostly bark and no bite!!

Last edited by AndyMarkV; 03-20-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 PM

PatFromJersey Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey

Great job! I love reading and seeing stuff like you just did.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:36 PM

Nevs Driving a Ford

It will be well worth the effort. Looks great!
2001 F150 4X4 SuperCab
2003 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic
1998 25.4 Mustang, 598 C head...done by fall, good Lord willing...

"No time to drive any of them"
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 PM

HotRodLincoln Driving a Ford

Are those equal length?

I'd send 'm out for ceramic coating, inside and out. All the stuff in a passenger car (hoses, wiring, etc) doesn't like getting baked. It might be OK to wrap on top of coated headers, I don't know.

Nice thing about Lincolns is there's enough room. You don't have to, say, hack up the core support to fit a 460 :-). Even the MK IV-V which were enlarged off the Mercury Cougar bones have more room to work then 90% of the cars out there.

Keep us posted, maybe some before and after 1/4 mi times?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Mark Miller Driving a Ford

Just make sure you have enough clearance between brake lines,A\C lines and Power Steering lines.In the one picture it looks like the header is pretty close to the brake line on the passenger side.I had those Headers on a 78 LTDII and i had to modify the power steering lines.Good luck on your header install and i hope you notice a big difference,Later Mark.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 AM

AndyMarkV Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
Are those equal length?

I'd send 'm out for ceramic coating, inside and out. All the stuff in a passenger car (hoses, wiring, etc) doesn't like getting baked. It might be OK to wrap on top of coated headers, I don't know.

Nice thing about Lincolns is there's enough room. You don't have to, say, hack up the core support to fit a 460 :-). Even the MK IV-V which were enlarged off the Mercury Cougar bones have more room to work then 90% of the cars out there.

Keep us posted, maybe some before and after 1/4 mi times?
They look like they are equal length, I guess I don't know for for sure.
These headers are used and kind of beat. I don't think they're worth ceramic coating.
I've heard mixed reviews on header wrap. But I agree, there is a buch of stuff that needs to be protected from the heat.
Unfortunately we never got a baseline 1/4 time. I'm hoping for a 14.90 at 93mph? We'll see.

As big as this car is, I can't believe how miserable the driverside fitment is!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
Just make sure you have enough clearance between brake lines,A\C lines and Power Steering lines.In the one picture it looks like the header is pretty close to the brake line on the passenger side.I had those Headers on a 78 LTDII and i had to modify the power steering lines.Good luck on your header install and i hope you notice a big difference,Later Mark.
You're right, the brake lines need to be rerun on both sides for more clearance. The power steering lines looked ok, but I will check them again.
Is there any other tips you can give me on this header install? I think the LTD II is just a smaller Lincoln.

Is there a rule of thumb about clearances from headers to be safe from the heat?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 AM

dutchlincoln79 Driving a Ford

very curious!
Can you post some more pictures?
I have a '79 Towncar in wich i also want to get me some headers. Building a fresh 460 right now.
Let us know your gains!!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 PM

AndyMarkV Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchlincoln79 View Post
very curious!
I have a '79 Towncar in wich i also want to get me some headers. Building a fresh 460 right now.
Let us know your gains!!
I'm not sure....but I think that your Towncar is different than the Mark series? I don't know if these headers will work for you?

If there is anything specific you'd like to see pictures of, let me know.
My bolts and collector hook-ups won't be here until Tuesday, so I won't have finished pics for a while....

Unfortunately all i will be a ble to tell you is seat of the pants gains. I don't have any hard data from before to compare it to.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 PM

dutchlincoln79 Driving a Ford

well, if you have some detailed pics of the headers in the car, clearance etc, would be nice.
As far as i know of, space and accesoiries are about the same, as the TC also was available with a 460... (i have the 400)
Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM

HotRodLincoln Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchlincoln79 View Post
very curious!
Let us know your gains!!
The chassis is different; the '79 TC was the last one based on the full size layout. MK IV-V are based off a different vehicle (Intermediate, aka LTDII-Cougar). There will be some differences in how things line up.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 PM

Mark Miller Driving a Ford

Andy,

I would for sure use some kind of insulation on the A/C box like you mentioned.I think the headers melted in some on my LTDII,but that was back 13 years ago.If i remember anything else about the headers on the LTDII i'll let you know,Later Mark.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 AM

AndyMarkV Driving a Ford

I got a little more done...
The collectors were too close to the trans crossmember so I had them cut back 2.5"s and rewelded. (thanks to TrickFlowRick for posting his hook-up pics)
I also had the headman hook-ups shortened and rewelded to help make them more adjustable. (they are very thin though.... I should have known better when they were only 22 bucks for the pair...)

I also had to clearance the #6 tube. I think it would have banged on the engine cross member when the motor torqued over then came back to the resting position. Thank goodness these are used headers, I would have been sit to take a hammer to new 600 dollar headers.....

Oh, I know you guys like your Fords..... (I'm am/was a GM guy)
I just bought a used car to replace my 97 30th anniversary Z28.
Plans are cold air intake, Evolution stage 1 canned tune, shifter, rear suspension pieces, rear lowering springs and KR mufflers and H pipe.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 PM

fordmaniack Driving a Ford
Default headers

are these headers for the 70-71 torino?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:18 PM

AndyMarkV Driving a Ford

Well, I've had a small set back. Even with the collectors cut back, there is no way to fit the hook-up pipes through the trans crossmember exhaust humps without cutting and welding a bunch of pieces of pipe together.... I need to reevaluate tomorrow and maybe build or modify the crossmember. I think hook up pipes could be built, but I think modifing the crossmember will take the same amount of effort and end up with a better flowing exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmaniack View Post
are these headers for the 70-71 torino?
No these are headers for the 72-72 torino. Hooker super comp 6126.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM

psquare75 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to psquare75

I had to clearance the headers when I had them in my Elite (Torino) and they were MEANT for the car. Mine self clearanced around the idler arm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.