460 vs 351c - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 AM

Bigblockfox Driving a Ford
Default 460 vs 351c

What are the advantages of running a 351c over a 460 and vise versa. Would like to hear some opions.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 AM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

The only advantage is weight.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 AM

71fordramair First On Race Day

100lbs more torque with the 460 but it weighs about that much more. I sold my 12.1 comp, big cam , low geared C motor and dropped in a stock 429 thundebird eng. with a 750 carb, headers & recurved duraspark . It was making good driveable power on 91 oct. 351c can make big block power, you'll just have to rev it and use a man. trans& low gears. thats what I saw anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 AM

GaryH Driving a Ford

I've seen a few 351c's crack cylinders. Heard that the cylinder walls are pretty thin. Less parts availability for the C too.
13.58@102.84 in the AZ summer heat
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 AM

RyanJ Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to RyanJ

The 460 in its basic form is a low-RPM powerhouse, just like any big block engine. You can build amazing torque and horsepower very easily and without having to spend a ton of cash on special parts and machine work. It's also very big and heavy, but it's a big block and that comes with the territory.

The 351C is a high-RPM performance small block. It's a great engine but had a short production run from 1970-74 so the best parts (4v heads) are hard to find. It's best form was the 1971 Boss 351, and there was also a Cobra Jet version; these were the 4-bolt main blocks. The more common 2v versions had open-chamber low compression heads.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM

herb65 Driving a Ford

It really depends on the applcation.In a light car I like the c with chi heads and some extra stroke out of the stock crank.in a heavier car 3000 lbs on up, you cannot dispute the added torque of the bbf especially if you stroke it up. Herb.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 PM

jm Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb65 View Post
It really depends on the applcation.In a light car I like the c with chi heads and some extra stroke out of the stock crank.in a heavier car 3000 lbs on up, you cannot dispute the added torque of the bbf especially if you stroke it up. Herb.
x2
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!

BigBlockFox...

This question is sort of a multi part question. If you are talking about stock versus stock, then it is about a push in a light car, because the 460 will make up for the weight, but the 351 Cleveland is a solid engine.

I actually am working on a 351 Cleveland right now that is out of my first car, that I am going to put together and sell, just because I don't need it for anything. It is very easy to make 450 hp with nothing more than a cam, springs, headers, intake, and some simple upgrades. There are generally more and cheaper things you can do to the 351 to get hp... Also, you have to take into account as to what you are putting it in. If you are going to a Fox Mustang, a 351 will be easier to fit headers, motor mounts, etc... Also, what about where you want the weight. A 460 will be about 140 lbs more in the front end! That can make it hard to plant the torque and power of the 460, so therefor it is just wasted.

By the way... anyone who is interested in my 351 Cleveland, please let me know. As it sits it makes about 425 hp, and is a nice street/strip engine! It would not take much to put some more cam, compression, and so on it now, before it goes back together.
Shop - 660-646-4553 - Cell - 816-390-0852 - Email - cale@BlackMagicClutches.com
WWW.BLACKMAGICCLUTCHES.COM - WWW.GOFASTQUICK.COM

Jon Kaase Racing Engines - Ford Racing Parts - RAM Clutches - Browell - Trick Titanium - Bohr Racing - PEM Gears - Orme Brothers - Penske Racing Shocks - Innovators West - DJ Safety
Old 04-06-2009, 03:13 PM

windsor Driving a Ford

Pound for pound, if you will, I can't really think of a much better traditional pushrod engine than the variants of the Ford Cleveland design... their general dominance in the EMCs of the past several years pretty much showcase the evidence of their overall potential.

That being said, I will run a stroked 385 engine due to the torque production and power level at a relatively lower RPM. More streetable.

My second choice would be a CHI headed stroked Clevor in the 450 cubic inch range.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM

72sport Driving a Ford

I'm a big fan of the 351C. I have had several of them. The one that is in my Torino made 400hp on the dyno and is very streetable. Its a basic 2 bolt main block with TRW flat tops OC 4V heads and a Blue Thunder intake. The cam has 230ish duration at .050 and .550 lift. It idles about 850 rpms and will run my power brakes. That being said I like heavy cars. I have a 72 Torino and a 74Montego wgn. The wagon will be getting a mild 460 to replace the 351C. Big cars need big blocks. If I was running something lighter I'd stick with a C.

I have a LOT of 351C parts that I need to sell to build my 460. If your looking for something almost anything for a C let me know
Old 04-06-2009, 06:59 PM

monsterbaby Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post

The 351C is a high-RPM performance small block. It's a great engine but had a short production run from 1970-74 so the best parts (4v heads) are hard to find. It's best form was the 1971 Boss 351, and there was also a Cobra Jet version; these were the 4-bolt main blocks. The more common 2v versions had open-chamber low compression heads.
Don't forget the aussies made them for 10 years more and they had a closed chamber version of the 2V heads that have been brought over here and used a lot. Also even the 2v version had the same valves as the standard 429/460 and the 4v had huge valves for a small block, the chev guys brag about running a 2.02 intake but the wimpy 2v grandmas grocery getting low power had a 2.09 and the 4v had the same as the 429cj/scj valves FROM THE FACTORY.

BTW the closed chamber 2v heads are actually for teh aussie 302c
Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 AM

'65 T-BOLT Driving a Ford

no replacement for displacement!
1965 Fairlane 500 2dr htp
will be a stock 70 lincoln 460,Lincoln C6,3.70 geared 9"
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 AM

OahuEli First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 T-BOLT View Post
no replacement for displacement!
Except when it comes to women!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM

DaveMcLain Driving a Ford

If you look at the stock combinations 460 Vs 351 C it is an interesting comparison. The 460 for it's intended purpose is a MUCH BETTER combination because the 351 C is terrible at 351 cid. You can never rev the engine high enough to take advantage of the 4V size heads and on the street it would be outrun easily. With that said the 351 C has tremendous potential and when the engine is made to displace 400 cubic inches the whole picture changes and it becomes a terrific engine. The block is the weak point from that point onward whereas the 460 block can handle high power easily.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.