460 Ford Forum banner

Pics of factory C6 high speed Governor

43K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  466turbo 
#1 · (Edited)
For the newbies like me, here are some pictures of the lighter higher speed shift C6 governor.
Our Lincoln always shifted at 4400RPM 1-2, 4200rpm, 2-3. From the chassis dyno the power peak is 4500 and best shift point is 500 above that.
This governor should make the trans shift at a higher RPM in drive.

Hollow higher RPM governor on the right.

Governor in housing

Retaining spring

Spring cover

Governor location on tailshaft, C6.

See less See more
#4 ·
I hope to have it back together tonight and road test it to see the shift point difference.

I'm not sure why people don't sell different governors.
I bought this one from Jay at Broader performance. He also sells a custom valve with checkballs in the hollowed out part. Then you can add or remove balls to adjust the shift point by changing the weight.
I think they are reasonably priced as well.

#7 ·
Thanks Andy for the info.

Both of our 460 T-Birds are bracket raced and we race them in drive and they shift @ 4300 1-2 and 3900 2-3. I have adjusted the vacumm modulator all the way in to raise the shift points, but after seeing this thread, I know what I need to modify on the gov. to get some more rpms out of them.

Thanks !

#8 ·
Good info Andy, thanks for posting!!

I think that the vacuum mod is more for raising PSI under load. It will increase shift points a bit, but the gov is the "right" way to control shift points.

Bill

#10 · (Edited)
Governor for full throttle, modulator for part throttle. That's how I understand it. http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122137&highlight=Governor
That thread has some great info in it but it also messed me up.
The green stripe IS NOT the best modulator for my application. The black stripe is. Jay at Broader explained the green stripe was for the diesel trucks and has a limited amount of action from a bigger diapham. The black strip has a smaller diaphram and reacts much more quickly to less throttle input. The green stripe would take quite a bit of throttle to kick down, the black stripe takes much less.

I was also in the dark about the governor. I thought the opposite valve was the governor and lightened that..... No wonder there was no change.
So I took pictures to make sure other noobs would get it right.

#12 ·
if i remember right i ground down the solid part of mine and made spring stronger.with the kick down pushed it will shift @6000 with out it about 4500.as in the pics you just need to make it lighter and a stronger spring adds to it.really mess's people up when you leave it in drive and it runs up to 6000.if i take it out anytime soon i'll shot some pics of it

#13 ·
makes me wonder why you couldn't just shim the spring, but there must be a reason. My 77 460 C6 is from a van, and shifts at 5480 out of 1st, and 5310 out of 2nd. That is what my shift light tells me that records the highest rpm, a feature I didn't know it had, but found useful. I contacted Broader Performance to ask about the high speed governor.

#14 ·
Andy, you didn't happen to weigh them did you? It would be good to know how much to drill out to get a certain rpm shift!!

Bill

#15 ·
Sorry Bill, I did not..... Damn, I could have done it easily too....
Now that I think about it, I should at least measured the depth of the hollow part as well....

I will say I don't know how this mod will work trans to trans, there may be other factors that effect shift RPM. (same amount of weight removal might not get the same shift point)
Stiffer spring instead of lightening sounds like a good way to go as well.

It will suck to have to pull the tailshaft off a bunch of times to change things around, but it kind of looks like a trial and error thing.

#17 ·
Recent thread brought me to this so I thought I would add what I found about WOT shift.

Been 10 or 12 years but the way I remember one of the differences between RV and Street/Strip (B&M shift kit) is that you place a steel ball behind the "cut back valve". Long story short, with the ball installed my WOT shift rpm was @5300. Removed only the ball & left the rest of kit as Street/Strip and my WOT shift returned to stock rpm @4400.

I'm sure many of you know this but I thought for many it would be an easier way to raise WOT shift rpm. Of course with this method it's not adjustable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.