Twin turbo 460 parts list - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Build Archive

Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 AM

pullboy Driving a Ford
Default Twin turbo 460 parts list

I am new to building turbo charged engines and was wondering if anyone could help me compile a parts list for a small twin turboed 460 any information will be helpful thanks, Colin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Mach1Charlie Driving a Ford
Talking YES

I also have interst in a turbo build. Would like to see a junkyard setup make a bunch of power.

How about some block hugger headers fliped upside down with turbo flanges welded on. 1 turbo on each side (twins) pulling thru a 4 barrel holley per side. Both blow into a 4v intake.

Just take the hood off your Lincoln !!!

Charlie
Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM

ProRauder Driving a Ford

Subscribing to this thread. I am interested in something like this if it was less than $6K...
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 PM

FACracr Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to FACracr

turbo size will depend on ultimate power goal.

I would look at the Borg warner series. the s400 is a great base. If you can get the 1.0 AR turbine twins would be great for any big block.
You'll be looking for 50mm waste gates. and at least a 60mm BOV.
Aluminum heads are prefered for heat reasons, but a d3 set would work for low boost situations. Shorties flipped will work great. Smaller primaries will increase spool rate but limit power. 1 5/8 good for 1000, 1 3/4 for 1500 ect

As for fuel delivery Blow through works GREAT. carb companies like C and S, and CSU are your best bets. Draw through can work but aren't the best usually. look for 5K minimum investment going up to 10K easy.

As for intercoolers you get air to air (A2A), air to water (A2W), and chemical.
A2A is great for street cars but are harder to package at BBF levels. A2W works better but is heavier and more expensive. last is meth injection, 50/50 mix with water. Meth can be used with either of the others and increases effectiveness, but can be used alone. it cools and increases octane of the fuel.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM

pullboy Driving a Ford
Default Turbo

What about internals, anything special other than forged everything, and what about compression how low do you go
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM

Mizery Driving a Ford

i was going to do this.. i already have my motor built. but i decided to fuel inject it before i went blow thru carb and decided to go with 1 larger turbo, if you dont know how to tune a carb i would not reccamend a turbo carb set up. .decided on single mainly because your looking at about twice the cost of turbo.. you have to buy 2 of everything. i had a set of t4 turbos i was going to use but sold them to get a larger 88 mm turbo. or something similar. and they are right .. 5k min and it will prob be more.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 AM

darrin1999 First On Race Day

compression depends on fuel and boost... if you want to run pump gas then 7.5-1 with 30psi is about your limit with an intercooler... 8.5 is the most static youd want for forced induction and on pump gas youd be limited to about 10-14psi with a good intercooler... jmo
Old 09-19-2009, 02:10 PM

aquartlow First On Race Day

I remember an article in a magazine where a guy took a stock 460 '75 or '76 and turned the stock manifolds over and switched them from side to side(outlet was facing up and toward front of engine), used a mid 80's T-bird turbo coupe turbo on each side and passed them through a import intercooler(Saab? maybe) and had it installed in a mid 50's Ford if my memory serves me right. He said that CR was about 8 or 8.5 -1 to allow it to run on pump gas. It didn't make alot of HP (like 370) but it did make gobs of torque, over 650 ft lbs. This is from memory but I'll try to find the article for details. Todd
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM

96Mustang460cid Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquartlow View Post
I remember an article in a magazine where a guy took a stock 460 '75 or '76 and turned the stock manifolds over and switched them from side to side(outlet was facing up and toward front of engine), used a mid 80's T-bird turbo coupe turbo on each side and passed them through a import intercooler(Saab? maybe) and had it installed in a mid 50's Ford if my memory serves me right. He said that CR was about 8 or 8.5 -1 to allow it to run on pump gas. It didn't make alot of HP (like 370) but it did make gobs of torque, over 650 ft lbs. This is from memory but I'll try to find the article for details. Todd
I remember that article .

A couple questions for the original poster:

1) What are your goals with this build? Is it bragging rights? A certain et? A drag car? A road race car? A specific hp #?

2) What's your budget?

3) Are you starting with any usable parts? ie. Can the rest of the vehicle handle the power from the engine? Transmission? Fuel system? Rear axle? ect

4) What kind of maintanence are you willing to perform?

5) Is this going to be a street/strip? Strip only? Only driving to the local cruise and back? Long road trip (like the Hot Rod Power Tour)?

The answers to those questions will allow members to give you better, more specific recommendations.

Have a good day!
Michael

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM

pullboy Driving a Ford

I would like to make about 800 horsepower with a production block i have the heads an intake and block but as far as anything else to support the engine we will have to build or buy parts wanted to make a wicked little street car just to play with.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM

shaggy5935 First On Race Day

i am also in process of doing something close to this in a fox nothing monsterous just something different and with a lil extra as a street car and sometimes take to track and it be pretty quic. ive heard about the same article and was wondering how much boost 460 stock internals worked dove heads and a cam kit could handle?
Old 09-26-2009, 12:07 PM

96Mustang460cid Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullboy View Post
I would like to make about 800 horsepower with a production block i have the heads an intake and block but as far as anything else to support the engine we will have to build or buy parts wanted to make a wicked little street car just to play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Mustang460cid View Post
I remember that article .

A couple questions for the original poster:

1) So, this is a 100% street car with no track time?

2) What's your budget? $$$

3) Specifically, what parts are you starting with? casting #'s (what heads, intake, and block) EFI, carb'd???

4) What kind of maintanence are you willing to perform? Tear it down every year and check everything out? Or get it running, and not worry about it for 20,000 miles?

5) Only driving to the local cruise and back? Long road trip (like the Hot Rod Power Tour)? This affects the parts selection because it is very, very inconvenient to break down when you're 1,000+ miles from home.
I reworded some of the questions that didn't get answered.

Your build can be accomplished with a variety of parts. The difference between some of these routes can be $1,000's of $$$. Hence, the importance for good answers to my questions.

Have a good day!
Michael

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Old 09-27-2009, 02:49 PM

tylercrawford First On Race Day

low buck/junkyard options would be the Holset line . . . ran a H1E on my stock shortblock 302 and bought it off ebay for $80. Twins would be killer on a built bbf.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 AM

Brenden Driving a Ford

The article mentioned was in a Hot Rod mag from a number of years ago. The features were on wagons and this engine was in a 58 Mercury wagon. I just had it out but my wife "moved it". Anyway it made over 700 TQ at 1900 RPM's but the fuel system needed to be upgraded and it ran out of gas at the 3500 rpm mark or something. I'll try and find it again and post up the results and parts used. It did have Saab intercoolers and D3 heads flipped manifolds. Very low buck build.
85 Mustang GT, Ice Blue, A460 headed 572, 5.80@120.11, 70 Mach 1 428 CJ, 69 Boss 9 clone, 1973 'cuda 340, 68 Barracuda SS/AH clone project, 67 GT390, 64 Cutlass, 1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone, 78 King Cobra.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM

AKB First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
The article mentioned was in a Hot Rod mag from a number of years ago. The features were on wagons and this engine was in a 58 Mercury wagon. I just had it out but my wife "moved it". Anyway it made over 700 TQ at 1900 RPM's but the fuel system needed to be upgraded and it ran out of gas at the 3500 rpm mark or something. I'll try and find it again and post up the results and parts used. It did have Saab intercoolers and D3 heads flipped manifolds. Very low buck build.
That's sweet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.