smog pump - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 AM

jluke First On Race Day
Default smog pump

At the risk of showing how much i really don't know, I would like to ask the following. I have a 1990 Champion motor home with the 460 engine that has two smog pumps on it. One recently locked up and rather than burn the belt up( which only drives the smog pumps) I took it off. Once I did that, I found the other was almost impossible to turn by hand. I have noticed no change in performance with them offline. Can I leave it like this or do I need to go through and remove all the hoses involved in the system? Is there a "how to" anywhere? Replace them would be a job on this vehicle, involving removing the grill, radiator, trans cooler and related equipment.The other thing I notices, while looking down into the carb while the engine is running, the fuel drips out of the tube into the carb. I was expecting a spray or a squirt. Is this normal or is something clogged? This RV sat up for a long time (at least a couple of years) before I bought it.The engine has about 45K on it and seems to run pretty well. The trans is a C-6. I appreciate any info you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 AM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

More than likely, the bearings seized up on the smog pump (its really called an air pump), and the other one is not too far behind its twin brother!!

Removing the belt will have no negative effect on them, and you can leave everything hooked up because there are one-way valves in the system that allow the air to pump into the exhaust stream without having the exhaust come back thru the pump....as long as those check valves are still good, you are not harming anything.

If it requires a smog test, then the pumps must be replaced or it'll never pass.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 PM

jluke First On Race Day

Thanks for the input, I'll let everything stay as is for now, there's a lot of "stuff". I actually was getting a howling from the engine I presumed was the fan clutch that I now think was the bearing in the pump. I ran it for a little while today and didn't get the dripping from the carb, so that doesn't seem to be a question anymore. Thanks again for your time.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 PM

billandlori Driving a Ford

There may have been a bit of dirt in the float needle valve. This allows the fuel to overfill the float bowl and drip out the boosters. If the MH sat for a long time, a carb rebuild is prolly in order.

Bill

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

On one occassion, I have seen the air pump passages in the roof of the exhaust ports completely carboned shut, presumably because the air pumps were not functional and the engine was probably not in the best shape (burning oil/running rich). Something to think about so that you don't have any nnforseen matters should you need to reinstall the air pump only to find they are not being effective at all.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.