Road Racing 78 THUNDERBIRD - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > General Race Tech

General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:15 PM

bird of pray First On Race Day
Default Road Racing 78 THUNDERBIRD

I'v been going over this for years now . They used to race the THUNDERBIRD on the road course in the 70's and a Gran Torino went to the 24 Hours of LeMans and placed really good (11th overall I think) out of 45 car's . I also used to have a 77 THUNDERBIRD that I drove alot on Saturday night and came home "very" happy . Well , I miss the speed and the power . But this time I'm going for the big times . I want to run in the Redline Time Attack's in the unlimited class . I now that it'll take 2 years to get up there near the top , but I now what it takes to handle better then a 911 turbo .

After I get going , my short term goal is to get a 460 in it(8.4L) , 3,200 LBS weight , full ground effects that can work without wings .....and it will have wings . Win one RWD Unlimited class .....maybe over all on the right track , even if I have to let some else drive . Be street legal and have A-C .

I'v beat two $80,000.00 cars with a car I bought for $900.00 . I'v never been bet by money , and If I do , they will have to put millions and millions into it . Granted , I did'nt race cars I could'nt bet , But then again I didn't race full race cars . I'v been bet yes , but not by money !

But what I need from you guy's is help , and tips . I know a lot , but not everthing . And it's the little things or the $2.00 part that gets you every time . I'm not on the web that much , some times . And it is a Ford and it's modified and I'm racing it . I will be doing lot's of overtime when I can if I don't get backers . I will already.... even now have people who think big blocks are stupid and the Ford haters will be in full force , I don't need it here too . As soon as get rid of the Lincoln and buy the THUNDERBIRD you will get pictures and progress . My budget says I can buy it next mounth on my first check .Well , here goes !!!

Last edited by bird of pray; 10-11-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

RocketcarX Driving a Ford

you will never be competitive in that car, and a 911 turbo will run circles around even a well prepped mustang with a 302 combo (stock suspension). while i say good luck, and i mean it in a nice way, but any plans other then drag in that car seem like wishful thinking. JMHO
Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 AM

timiacobucci Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketcarX View Post
you will never be competitive in that car, and a 911 turbo will run circles around even a well prepped mustang with a 302 combo (stock suspension). while i say good luck, and i mean it in a nice way, but any plans other then drag in that car seem like wishful thinking. JMHO
How about a 69 cyclone then?

http://www.robisonracing.com/

Granted this is far from stock suspension but I don't know what the rules are for modifications for the Redline Time Attack or what classes there are. This will dictate whether you can really make it into a race car or not.

Also i don't care how good you are, building a car like that cyclone is going to require some decent money. Studying that car and learning as much as I could about it would be my first plan for building a car like you are discussing.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:24 AM

Just got the the 78 THUNDERBIRD three days ago for $175.00 , it looks bad . And by the way , I left a 911 (they handle like crap on a good day )with a 74 Cougar 2 cars back on some twisty roads , and he was tring to pass me . And I seen a guy autocross a Mustang GT and not only bet a prepaired STI but also one D Mod car here in Las Vegas too .

I'll have pictures of the car soon , and it looks bad . But the engine is so smooth and runs great for a 400M . The rules say I have to some of the dash and other stuff from the inside to be legal to run , and I plan on getting some carbon fiber seats I saw .

And by the way , my old Cougar could out handle a freinds Saleen . Yes it was street drivable and the Saleen did have Racecraft parts .
Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Here she is !

3237120296_70bc3500a5.jpg
This what I'm going for ....

DSC00335.JPG
And ,...this is her now . I'm gonna strip her and put her on a diet , an then put the biggest performence tires on her I can .
Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM

psquare75 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to psquare75

Um, you should email me with some interior pics. I have a shopping list for you..My cougar needs some things depending if you have em

Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 AM

Some of the stuff is an was already gone and broken . Later I plan on replacing the dash , center councol and steering wheel assembly with new ones out of new cars . After I fix the suspinson , glass and lights first ,I'll put in some real racing seats . Your car is in way better shape then mine and your Cougar looks nice . Are you gonna go Pro-Touring style with it ? I can give you help in the cornering part .
Old 11-16-2009, 09:05 AM

psquare75 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to psquare75

Faux Touring.

3:1 ratio Mustang steering box
poly bushings
CVPI spec Bilsteins
Addco rear bar, the larger OEM front bar.
12" front brake upgrade
the largest rear drum setup Ford made (11x2.5")
soon to be 18" wheels, currently on 17" Cragars.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 PM

CollegeKnowledge First On Race Day
Default From an autoX er

Okay this is what you should do for my .02$... Either find a kit for a tri link set up in the rear, with coil overs. The front to a coil over with camber/caster plates front and rear. Oh either learn how to fab up suspension stuff or make friends. watch your unsprung weight like wheel and tire combo this can make or break your setup. I would forget the a/c and interior for this matter your cars no.1 enemy in road racing is weight... Anyway if you can get your suspension fabbed up you will be fine to start.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 AM

This car isn't a fox body chasiss or unibody . The Redline Time Attack's for the class I'm going for say you must use factory mounting holes . 345-35-18 rear , 315-35-18 front . I want to use 20" rims so I can use 15" rotors but I'm gonna try not to go broke and save money , but get good parts were I can (stock car style and hot rod parts) . Don't get me wrong , your right , most of the time . But , I read about and seen one of some Pro-Touring Chevelles and Novas putting down times at a track faster then lighter race preped cars like a Super 7 and a WRX STI and they had A-C and one stereo box . And by what you said , you shouldn't put a big block in your car . You should put in a turbo 4 to make the same power and be lighter , so why don't you ? You should , under that thanking hate the 460 and never use it . And when drag racing you want it to be way lighter then a road race car . Why spend one more dime on a 460 at all ? We both have seen imports eat our 5.0L brothers alive . A Veyron is 4,200 pounds and it can out handle a race preped Mazda Miata . A Mercury Marauder out handled a Audi TT and a BMW on youtube . So much for that weight thing .
Old 11-29-2009, 05:40 AM

Default 460 dristributorless ignition ...kind of.

www.compu-tronix.com/dis8.htm is nice system for a big block . I might have to get it . I still want coil on plug though .
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Do you know the data from the veyron vs mazda miata because the weight I am referring to is un-sprung like everything else doesn't count motor, tranny, frame interior ect, and did you ever consider that a veyron was engineered to go 250mph so the guys building it probably were very careful with the center of gravity and un-sprung weight ratio lord knows there are only like a hundred people in the world that can even afford those cars and if half of them die bugatti goes out of bussiness, because half of there clientel will be dead. Who was driving the miata they can be squirly I would know pulled every muscle in my neck one time when I snap spun at an autoX I am not trying to fight with you just give you something to think about.....
Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 PM

466Fairmont Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketcarX View Post

Why is it wishful thinking? With the right amount of preparation and money any car could handle well. 911's are not amazing handling cars, and can easily be out handled by Fox bodies... They have a big problem with weight distribution, having all that engine out back.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 AM

Alright , time to get the tools and a camera and a body shop to do the body work and the fenders , four altogther . If I crash , I'll need a new pair so I'll do them with the one's for the car . The shop I have in mind I have credit with , so what better place to owe money . I get off work at 4:15 pm in Las Vegas , it's getting dark already or by the time I get home (and it's cold , I'm a baby , and girls "the real money pit") . So I need a good night time camera . Let me know witch ones good at night /outside . Cleaning the frame to take and make measurments and check for safty stuff . I'll be driving it so , better safe then sorry . I still need to find some one here to put in the 10-point rollcage and get it ok'd by the SCCA or NASA .
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM

You should check out Grassroots Motorsports they could point you in the right direction. I knew a guy with a 350 in a buick reagal that had a limited slip and lots of suspension and it wasn't too much of a boat Idk and I would crush a veyron at an auto cross especially with my custom alignment that I will be doing over xmas break from college...

but anyway good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.