Relocating leaf spings inward 67 mustang - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 AM

460fastback First On Race Day
Default Relocating leaf spings inward 67 mustang

Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted relocating the leaf springs inwards on a 60's Mustang? I need to get a little more clearance for 10.5 x 28 MT ET drags. The MT's fit, but they stick out too far for my taste. I only want to move them one inch inwards and have decided to chop away underneath. I have got one front spring pocket almost finished and am fairly pleased with the result. I have reinforced the outer sectioned frame rail with 3/16" plate and then added another 3/16 plate on the inside of the remaining frame rail side plate to make the width of the new frame rail slightly wider than the original. 3/16" plate is probably 3 or 4 times heavier than the original frame rail and the new section width will ensure that any torsion on this assembly will be handled better than the OEM design. I still need to weld in a 1" spacer outboard of the front spring eye but will wait until I have installed CalTracs to ensure pocket width is OK. Once I finish the other one, then I still need to weld new spring perches on the 9" and fab a set of 1" offset shackles. After that is done, then a little sugery on the front of the inner wheel houses and we should be good to go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0884_1.jpg (93.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0883.jpg (93.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0887.jpg (95.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by 460fastback; 11-11-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 PM

67mills First On Race Day
Default relocation brackets

look up mopar relocation setups,yours would be the same theory call me if you need help, a mini full tube would get you tons of room!!! 712 363 4385 Dave
Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 AM

460fastback First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mills View Post
look up mopar relocation setups,yours would be the same theory call me if you need help, a mini full tube would get you tons of room!!! 712 363 4385 Dave
Thanks for the offer Dave! I may just do that.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 AM

nickbay Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460fastback View Post
Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted relocating the leaf springs inwards on a 60's Mustang? I need to get a little more clearance for 10.5 x 28 MT ET drags. The MT's fit, but they stick out too far for my taste. I only want to move them one inch inwards and have decided to chop away underneath. I have got one front spring pocket almost finished and am fairly pleased with the result. I have reinforced the outer sectioned frame rail with 3/16" plate and then added another 3/16 plate on the inside of the remaining frame rail side plate to make the width of the new frame rail slightly wider than the original. 3/16" plate is probably 3 or 4 times heavier than the original frame rail and the new section width will ensure that any torsion on this assembly will be handled better than the OEM design. I still need to weld in a 1" spacer outboard of the front spring eye but will wait until I have installed CalTracs to ensure pocket width is OK. Once I finish the other one, then I still need to weld new spring perches on the 9" and fab a set of 1" offset shackles. After that is done, then a little sugery on the front of the inner wheel houses and we should be good to go!
I have thought of doing this but there will not be room for tail pipes afterwards. Have you thought of moving the whole rear frame rail?
Do you have any pics with the MT 28/10.50/15's on the car and what rim size are you running? I run a MT ET street 27/10.50/15 on a 10" rim with 5.5" backspacing, with stock leaf spring location. Looks good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HztIgJymNw

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/laveennick/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.