raising 351m compression, how - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 AM

jerad188 First On Race Day
Default raising 351m compression, how

is there anyway to do it without buyin aftermarket heads (if they even make them) , and there must not be anywhere that sells flat top or domed pistons for 351m so, do i have any options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Personally, I would change the heads; there are several small combustion chamber, 2v Cleveland offerings out there.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Homespun91 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerad188 View Post
is there anyway to do it without buyin aftermarket heads (if they even make them) , and there must not be anywhere that sells flat top or domed pistons for 351m so, do i have any options?
It depends on what amount of money you want to spend. The 351M has a number of issues as originally built; all can be corrected, but depending on what you want it to do, it may cost a lot of $.

The pistons are extremely low in the bore at TDC, (i.e. low compression height) and the common cast replacement pistons are just as bad. Even the TRW forging, which is no longer available, was poor in this respect. While you could deck the block, it is usually a lot of material to remove...and you are still stuck with whatever cast pistons you can find. You can also mill the heads, use thin head gaskets, etc., which have their own problems to correct....and you still wouldn't have much quench.

The easiest way to fix the problem, and the most common, is to convert it to a 400. If you are planning to have the crank turned, it is just as easy to buy a reground 400 crank. You then can use pistons from Tim Meyer, which are specifically designed to have a higher compression height. This solves all your compression problems in one step. http://www.tmeyerinc.com/

Other 351M issues: retarded cam timing; poor total ignition advance & curve rate; poor cylinder heads

Use a good cam & aftermarket timing chain, and a reworked or aftermarket distributor, & the next three problems are fixed.

It is a common misconception that the 351M uses 351C 2-barrel cylinder heads. They are similar...but the 351M heads have a large, restrictive, lump in the exhaust ports. This contains a cooling passage for the exhaust valve, so it can't really be smoothed or ground out.

There are a couple of options to fix this problem.

1) Use aftermarket heads. As Randy said, there are five companies making aluminum versions of the 351C heads, in various chamber & port configurations. They are a direct bolt-on (putting aside the intake manifold issue for the moment).

2) Use 351C 2V heads. Again, a direct bolt-on. They have large open chambers which are a topic of discussion (good & bad), but they are common, cheap, & seem to work well enough.

3) Use the vaunted "Aussie" heads- which were made for the 302C Australian Cleveland. They have the smaller 2V ports, with the closed chamber design of the 4V heads...a nice combination. However, they have small chambers and it is difficult to keep the compression ratio on a 400 low enough to be streetable without a deal of thought.

4) Use 351-4V heads, either open chamber or CC.

There are not a whole lot of intake manifold options for the 351M/400, as such. Everything I know of is made for the 2V heads. It is possible, though, to use a 351C 4V intake (whatever brand), with 4V heads on a 351M/400, with adapters from Price Motorsport. They aren't especially cheap, but then what is, nowadays. You can also get adapters to use a 351C 2V intake with 351C 2V heads on the 351M/400 block.

It all comes down to desired power vs. budget. It is possible to build a respectable 400 for a reasonable amount of $, so long as your expectations are reasonable as well.

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
Old 12-13-2009, 02:04 PM

darrin1999 First On Race Day

or you could just swap a 460 in in its place itll bolt up to the bellhousing
Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 PM

jerad188 First On Race Day
Default swappin a 460

yea i swamped my 351m so i put in a 460, ( but the bell housings arent exactly the same, theres BARELY enough room for the clutch lever that goes into the bellhousing, if you have a little extra freeplay the pressure plate hits it when spinnin around. -unless i fudged somethin up?!)

but now its winter and im bored and decided to build the 351m for another mud truck motor.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 PM

95lightiningguy First On Race Day
Send a message via Yahoo to 95lightiningguy

Yeah the 400 crank and pistons would be the way to go. Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did a build on one and made over 500 hp and like 500 tq, but was expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.