my 460 won't start! - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM

worktruck First On Race Day
Question my 460 won't start!

my '77 f250 with a 460 just will not start. All electronics are new, fuel system new, new Holly 750, and it spins like the "dickens".. Tried NAPA starting fluid and won't start. Got fuel to the carb, and about 2 hrs later tried. STARTED!. The next morning: no start!! Do I tear the carb apart or what? When it did start yesterday, it ran pretty smooth, needs some fiddling with I guess. But my main problem is, no start. Any thing I have overlooked? When it did start last year, it was stumbling and spittin' until really warmed up. Perplexed, I am. Thanks to anybody and everybody.. worktruck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Cambi First On Race Day

Which Holley 750? Vacuum Secondaries? Choke? Sounds like it needs some adjustment and perhaps the choke is not functioning.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 AM

digger460 Driving a Ford

Make sure you are getting spark to the plugs. Since it wouldnt start on starting fluid, maybe an intermitten electricle prob. Maybe a bad grd. Is it an MSD ign. system?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Retro Ranger 77 Driving a Ford

I had an issue with mine where it wouldn't start when it was warmed up. Turns out the hall effect sensor in the distributor was faulty. It did have the same symptoms as yours where you could crank it continuously and it wouldn't even begin to fire, even with starter fluid. It actually started backwards once! But I did the same thing as you and replaced all of the ignition equipment and had no effect. So, if you have overlooked this component and assuming that you have the factory Duraspark II system, then this sensor could be the problem.
NP435
NP205
33" BFG A/Ts
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM

RetroJim First On Race Day

Some very good advice .
You have an electrical problem so start at the distributor and work from there . Use an ohm meter to see if you are getting power to distributor and work backward to see where the power loss is . Check the inside of the distributor and make sure everything is installed properly and nothing is loose .

Retro Ranger 77 has a good point , if the starting fluid doesn't work you have no spark .

RetroJim
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 PM

460VEGA Driving a Ford

I would also check and see if the timing chain has jumped a tooth or two, it can act the same way.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM

worktruck First On Race Day
Smile 460 won't start

To all the responses and their editors might I just say "THANKS" for all your suggestions. I am lucky that I have an "old school" gas station/mechanic just a quarter mile away. Finally got it started, took it to him and he fiddled for a day and said "choke is not functioning". An adjustment later, it now starts.. Sort of red faced I am, but tomorrow is the real test. I need to start it, not the mechanic.. Again, thanks for all the suggestions, but I guess the simple truth is I screwed up the choke when I replaced the carb. Now we all know "the truth of the matter". P.S. He says I got a good truck. worktruck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.