what engine oil is best for big block ford's - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > General Race Tech

General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM

levy87 Driving a Ford
Default what engine oil is best for big block ford's

i've been using 20w50 lucas racing oil is this a good oil or can i do better?what brand's and weight are you guy's using. also i think i should be using synthetic.i spent a lot of money on motor and i don't want to use cheap oil.what do you guy's think about amsoil,red line,royal purple oil, good,bad?talk to me .what about amsoil 5w20 racing oil any good.
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Cj Ford Driving a Ford

I use plain old Havoline 20w50 have had great results, been using it for the last 10 years

Chevy big blocks are great ....... for traction !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 08:20 PM

65_Ford_F100 First On Race Day

I use Brad Penn racing oil, 10w-30 with a 70/30 Lucas blend. I wouldn't run anything else in my motor.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM

blown473 First On Race Day
Smile motor oil

I use Mobil 1 15w-50. I really believe in the synthetics. It has a higher level of zddp than other Mobil 1 wts. It gives good temperature range and motors I have seen run on it show almost no wear. You can get a really good price on it if you buy it in the 5 qt jug at Walmart; about $22. I like Royal purple synthetic too, but its very pricey at $9. a qt. I have a 10qt system so 2 jugs isn't bad about $45 + a filter for a change. My oil pressure runs 80 cold and on the hottest day (105 degree summers) about 30 hot. Thats with a standard vol. pump.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM

richter69 Driving a Ford

I'm real fond of Schaeffer's products, Ever since I switched over and started getting the oil analysis done the reports have been awesome. My alky motor be hard on oil.....................

If anyone is looking for this product I have a friend who is a dealer, can drop ship most places as well.
5.15 @ 134.89
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 AM

levy87 Driving a Ford
Default oil, what brand, so many choices??

what do you guy's think about amsoil is it any better then lucas oil.amsoil sell's a racing oil 5w50 it's like $10.50 a quart, but is it worth it.i have an iron headed motor with a hydraulic cam 30 over 460 making it a 466 nothing to radical ,little bit of spray 125 shot,i just want to make improvements this year. i figure i want to start off with a good oil,also i have a powerglide from jw, i have been using there oil but is there better stuff. i want to go in the direction of synthetic for the motor and trans.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!Cale Aronson A Ford God!

Lucus is good stuff. When it gets to synthetics there are three brands that I tell my customers to stick with. Lucus, Royal Purple or Redline. There are some others out there, but some of them break down much worse than the norm.
Shop - 660-646-4553 - Cell - 816-390-0852 - Email - cale@BlackMagicClutches.com
WWW.BLACKMAGICCLUTCHES.COM - WWW.GOFASTQUICK.COM

Jon Kaase Racing Engines - Ford Racing Parts - RAM Clutches - Browell - Trick Titanium - Bohr Racing - PEM Gears - Orme Brothers - Penske Racing Shocks - Innovators West - DJ Safety
Old 03-02-2010, 06:25 PM

HEMI-HUNTER Driving a Ford

Valvoline Racing Str. 50# --what other kind is they?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM

levy87 Driving a Ford
Default question for blown473

is the mobile1 15w50 at walmart full synthetic oil,or semi synthetic?what is the difference between 15w50 and 20w50 oil?i have an high volume oil pump stars cold at 78psi,then warms up and stay's at 60 psi,hydraulic cam,not roller,305 comp cam magnum.should i be using straight 50 weight synthetic,or 20w50 synthetic

Last edited by levy87; 03-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM

falconracer Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to falconracer

Valvoline VR1 20w-50

514 BT heads
1050 Holley Dominator
Custom Cam
Comp Lifters
PG Trans
5.60 @ 122 , 1.19 60 ft. 1/8 mile
http://www.rapturemotorsports.com
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 AM

800+BBF First On Race Day
Default Oil

After some Dyno pulls and 20 gal of race fuel, I Like RED LINE RACING 40WT. Also added a half qt of Lucas Oil Stabilizer
Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Exclamation

Amsoil Has bought a bunch of Latemodel motors around here last couple years so I would stay away from that. I would think it would be hard to keep the doors open buying a bunch of these guys new 30-40000 dollar engine because of oil failure.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM

levy87 Driving a Ford
Thumbs up

your right staying away from amsoil.i just bought synthetic royal purple oil for the motor,trans,and the differential ,set me back several hundred dollars.i figure might as well get the best.i don't want my stuff breaking.i plan on going to the the track alot this year,and spraying it hard.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:00 AM

rickyd Driving a Ford
Smile What oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by levy87 View Post
your right staying away from amsoil.i just bought synthetic royal purple oil for the motor,trans,and the differential ,set me back several hundred dollars.i figure might as well get the best.i don't want my stuff breaking.i plan on going to the the track alot this year,and spraying it hard.
Here is some thoughts one I have always used 20w50 Valoline blend and have never had a lube type failure I like to keep the spread as close as possible so if the oil starts to break down it won't change too to lite of oil I have been told that the base weight is the smallest of the two and then if you start the car in cold weather a straight weight like 50 is not going to flow well and then keep it affordable and change it more often so you don't flush big bucks down the drain and all ways change the oil after any time you have to pull a intake or head the other thing is if your machine work will suport useing a 5w20 think of the supply and the demand if you have a race engine and it is machined as such specs are held tighter where a street engine may not be and the higher weight helps fill the gap any way just some thoughts. Mine 466 cj head 85 stang soon to be 533 SCJ tunnel ramed
Old 03-05-2010, 02:49 PM

levy87 Driving a Ford

valvoline 20w50 is a good oil i've used it before.i'm going to try royal purple this season,i want to see how much difference it has than the other stuff i used in the past.i'm experimenting.what was cool about it.i orderd it from summit and they literly had it deliverd on my porch waitng for me the next day went i got home from work now that kiks ***.i did'nt even have to go to the store and lug all the stuff home.bam
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.