Pro Comp Heads???? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 PM

chenzin22 First On Race Day
Default Pro Comp Heads????

Does anyone Have any experience with the pro comp 460 heads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM

DJOHAGIN Driving a Ford

Please do a search. You'll find more than enough info on this subject.

Dave
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 AM

79!hatch_BBF First On Race Day
Send a message via AIM to 79!hatch_BBF Send a message via Yahoo to 79!hatch_BBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOHAGIN View Post
Please do a search. You'll find more than enough info on this subject.

Dave
2 weeks ago in this "engine tech" section there was a thread started with quite a few hits, look back a few pages or search for keywords cnc pro-comps...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 AM

bruno Driving a Ford

maybe this will help ...

http://www.429-460.com/engine-tech-f...icky-t1960.htm

www.429-460.com
"HOME OF THE FASTEST BIG BLOCKS"
JET BOAT BOB
DAN "STICKER MAN" HOBBS
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 AM

69stang Driving a Ford

Quick summary for you:

-Out of the box they are no better than a mildly ported set of factory passenger car heads (D0VE's, D3VE's). W/ some more effort into the porting and some bigger valves the passenger car heads will greatly out flow, and out power the out of the box Procomps. Max effort porting on both and their close to the same.

-They are best bought bare because the included hardware is iffy and the valve seats on them are pretty shoddy.

-They are more or less equivelent to aluminum passenger car heads and are no way in the same league as the other aluminum BBF heads out there.

That being said, for a moderate build (not a racing application) they can be a decent head that will shave some weight off and perform well for a street car.

Seriously though, if you do a search for "procomp heads" you will find weeks worth of reading Once you dig through all of the bickering you will find pretty much what I've summed up here.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post
Quick summary for you:

-Out of the box they are no better than a mildly ported set of factory passenger car heads (D0VE's, D3VE's). W/ some more effort into the porting and some bigger valves the passenger car heads will greatly out flow, and out power the out of the box Procomps. Max effort porting on both and their close to the same.

-They are best bought bare because the included hardware is iffy and the valve seats on them are pretty shoddy.

-They are more or less equivelent to aluminum passenger car heads and are no way in the same league as the other aluminum BBF heads out there.

That being said, for a moderate build (not a racing application) they can be a decent head that will shave some weight off and perform well for a street car.

Seriously though, if you do a search for "procomp heads" you will find weeks worth of reading Once you dig through all of the bickering you will find pretty much what I've summed up here.
THAT"S pretty much the story...

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post
Quick summary for you:

Thanks i am new to the bigblock sceen. Getting ready to put one in my foxbody and ran across these heads. I Figured the price was to good to be true. I think im just going to go with the edey's.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 AM

crittersf1 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1

Probably a better choice, it all depends on what you want this combination to do. I just bought a set (PRO-COMPS) for my 472, kind of anxious to see just what they will do.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersf1 View Post
Probably a better choice, it all depends on what you want this combination to do. I just bought a set (PRO-COMPS) for my 472, kind of anxious to see just what they will do.

All im really looking for is a fun street car that is diffrent.400-450hp,And maybe a little fun juice. I found this 1987 mustang convert 4 banger, In mint condition this old man was selling, So i figured its a good starting point for something like this.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM

HotRodLincoln Driving a Ford

The short answer is that the iron heads you already have will make equal or _more_ hp.

Long answer is that if you're going to spend a dollar on junk Pro-Comps, save the dollar and spend it later on heads that are a real upgrade over stock.
You need to do at least some light porting on the stock heads, the exhaust as cast is nasty. This shop
http://reincarnation-automotive.com/
ports heads, or for cheap they have instructions with photos on how to DIY. No I don't work there ;-)

Forget what you see in Car Craft etc - the articles are 97% written for the advertisers, not you. You can get 450 hp with no fancy parts, stock heads, pump gas and moderate rpm. Do it right rather than fast and you'll have a no-headache machine.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 AM

tbolt Driving a Ford

I have procomp's on my 460 Tbolt for 2 years now. No problems so far. I use my car for street use, and it runs very strong. My suggestion is to buy them bare, and than buy name brand valves and springs.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
The short answer is that the iron heads you already have will make equal or _more_ hp.

Long answer is that if you're going to spend a dollar on junk Pro-Comps, save the dollar and spend it later on heads that are a real upgrade over stock.
You need to do at least some light porting on the stock heads, the exhaust as cast is nasty. This shop
http://reincarnation-automotive.com/
ports heads, or for cheap they have instructions with photos on how to DIY. No I don't work there ;-)

Forget what you see in Car Craft etc - the articles are 97% written for the advertisers, not you. You can get 450 hp with no fancy parts, stock heads, pump gas and moderate rpm. Do it right rather than fast and you'll have a no-headache machine.
Judging by what you've conveyed here I will almost bet you have never actually had your hands on a pair of ProComps or tested them against one another on an identical engine; either on a dyno OR a race track. The iron heads won't equal the ProComp's performance unless you somewhat port them first. AND, then there is the matter of 75 pounds difference.
The ProComps have their place, especially on a street/cruising type vehicle; just NOT on a race car.

EDIT: Actual TESTING will and can put a lot of myths by the wayside...lol.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

Last edited by rmcomprandy; 03-25-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:13 PM

7mmrowland First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
I have procomp's on my 460 Tbolt for 2 years now. No problems so far. I use my car for street use, and it runs very strong. My suggestion is to buy them bare, and than buy name brand valves and springs.
This what I did and have not had a problem.

Are they junk...NO Are they the best ....No Are they worth 750.00 bare for a pair I think so. JMO Im no pro but seems like what you are trying to acomplish there gonna work great, the less nose wieght the better in that fox chassie. But if you have plans on future stroker combo's and gonna upgrade I spend the money on better heads so theres room to grow. If I did it over I'd probly did the BT's or the P51's.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM

DaveMcLain Driving a Ford

I've had several sets of the Pro Comps come through the shop mostly for small Ford engines and I think that the casting quality looked really nice. We dyno tested a set of their CHI knockoffs vs the real CHI 3V's and they were down about 30 horsepower on a 400 horsepower 355 Cleveland. I have a set on another Ford a 302 with a supercharger and that engine made 500 horsepower at 5500rpm so it runs fine.

As long as your goals are realistic the Pro Comp heads could be a bargain.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM

HotRodLincoln Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy View Post
Judging by what you've conveyed here I will almost bet you have never actually had your hands on a pair of ProComps or tested them against one another on an identical engine; either on a dyno OR a race track. The iron heads won't equal the ProComp's performance unless you somewhat port them first. AND, then there is the matter of 75 pounds difference.
The ProComps have their place, especially on a street/cruising type vehicle; just NOT on a race car.

EDIT: Actual TESTING will and can put a lot of myths by the wayside...lol.
Guilty as charged. P-Comps have gotten so many bad reviews here I figured he could do better... but, er, I've never touched a set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.