E4OD swap in place of C6 behind 460? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > Driveline

Driveline Transmission, Clutch, Gearing, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 PM

Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!
Send a message via Yahoo to Greenbroncoguy
Default E4OD swap in place of C6 behind 460?

Right now I have a C6 tranny in my 79 Bronco, but I really want to have an overdrive option, and since I sled pull I also like the idea of having a lower 1st and 2nd gear.

I'm wondering what all I would need to do the swap - I know they put E4OD's behind 460's in trucks in the 90's, so the bolt pattern is the same, but what about the torque converter? How different is the mounting where my NP205 mounts up?

I also know I'll have to get some kind of standalone tcm to run the tranny as well, but again I have no idea where to start. If anyone has any info themselves or can point me in the right direction to find it, I'd appreciate the help.

Or, what about skipping the E$OD entirely and just going with a 4r100?

-Matt

Last edited by Greenbroncoguy; 04-27-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 AM

Diggindeeper First On Race Day

Baumann sells the standalone controllers for the E4's
as for strength i've heard arguments both ways as to which is the better trans. (E4 vs 4R100)
I dont know enough to know which is better.

they all came with BW 1356's or the newer version of that 44xx...(same thing but you push down before you go into low range) which takes the same adaptor as a 208 iirc.
The are expensive, heavy, and rob enough horsepower but when they work good they are *** kickers. imho. When i used to tow a lot with my old turbo IDI/E4 i had it re built, spent a fortune on it, but boy did it shine. the lockup is another bonus for DDriving that lots overloook. you get od plus a lockup convertor, allows you to run much better gear. come to think of it, i dont know why you'd want anything else in there

Last edited by Diggindeeper; 04-28-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 AM

Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!Greenbroncoguy A Ford God!
Send a message via Yahoo to Greenbroncoguy

^^^ My thoughts exactly.

Right now I have a mildly built C6 in my Bronco, but it is not going to hold up to this engine I'm building now if I ever get the tires dirty. When I hook to the sled that thing is going to be toast, so I'm hoping just playing with the truck on the road doesn't kill it too soon. I'm going to put the truck together now with the C6 and a good 3500 stall converter, and start looking for an E4OD to build up.

All the fabrication work involved is not going to be a problem at all - if I need to make a new cross-member, so be it. But I need to know what is involved with the electronics, the shifting mechanism, and getting it to bolt up to my 460 and my 205 if possible...

-Matt
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.