TOW RIG. - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM

turbo2256b First On Race Day
Default TOW RIG BUILD UP.

I am building a 460 for towing here is the truck as purchased
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1099.jpg (83.3 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-13-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 05:40 PM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

What year is it??..it looks nice!!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM

turbo nut First On Race Day

It looks to be in the 80s cool truck.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM

crittersf1 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Thumbs up

'85 or '86
Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 PM

Its an 86 purchased by me in 98 or 99 with 72K on it. It was most likely not used in the winter and towed the original owners toys. It had a 5th wheel set up at one time. The rear bumper can be adjusted for I believe for a 10 or 12 ft camper insert. I think the front bumper post was to support a cab over camper. There are about 5 plugins at the rear for different electrical connections. There are also locations welded to the frame or bolted on for leveling jacks.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Bringing things up to speed. The truck came with a 750 Edelbrock carb a performer intake. Dont know if it has a different cam in it. The trans is a 4 speed manual rear is a locker with 4.10 gearing.
My first run towing was a 120 mile round trip towing a 23.5' boat mostly hiway. Fuel economy worked out to 6 MPG.

I dont know why but after getting back home and unhooking the boat I was concerned about the fuel economy. For some reason I looked up the tail pipe and saw a perforated plate about an inch and a half up the tail pipe. It looked like it had about 50% open area at best. I grabbed up my drill and a 3" hole saw and removed it only to find another one about another inch up the pipe. Drilled that out to. Same trip the next weekend fuel economy was 8 MPG.
In search of more economy I began looking for a 5 speed.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 AM

After some searching a 5 speed ZF was purchased at a heavy truck / equipment transmission rebuilder. To them this was a light duty unit. They also talked to me about New Departure 5 speed. It might realy have been a more robust choice. The price for the ZF, cluth, flywheel was 1300.00 with a 1 year warranty which was a better price than any rebuilder or junk yard.

Installation was easy. The only change I remember was moving the trany crossmember back to a set of holes already in the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 481.jpg (47.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 467.jpg (73.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM

While under the truck I noticed the exhaust had 2.5" pipes into one muffler and a single 3" pipe exiting to the bumper. There were things I didnt like about this factory system. One was the driver side head pipe was so close to the oil pan it had to raise the oil temp about 20*. I tried sticking some 2000* insulation to the pan the pipe burned it right off the pan. The other concern was were the pipes went into the muff the pipe size was swedged down to less than a 2" ID and the same in the rear. I figure they possibly used this same muffler on all V8 and the 300 six. The pipes themselves worked out right. the area of two 2.5 dia and one 3" dia are really close to the same area. Why the reduction out of and into the muffler a cost save?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 466.jpg (69.9 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-18-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM

While researching info on mufflers I began work on a few other things.
Fuel economy was up to about 10 MPG at this point but the engine wanted premium fuel only. Decided to look into the timing. The previous owner had the timing set to 44* total. No wonder it needed premium. Out came the distributor and into the garage for my box of old distributors. I was out of advance plates in the 9 to 13* range. So I welded up the slot in one limiting the advance to around 9* in the distributor. Filled up a tank with regular and after a week or so of tweeking was able to run regular. Fuel economy hung in at 10 MPG but now was spending 10 cents or so less a gallon.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 PM

hookin78 First On Race Day

Years ago Edelbrock used to make a intake they called a "Street Master" I think someone correct me if i am wrong, it had tiny runners that worked great for low end grunt and would help fuel economy, Can any one else add to this ?
Or is that intake something I dreamt up ????
Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookin78 View Post
Years ago Edelbrock used to make a intake they called a "Street Master" I think someone correct me if i am wrong, it had tiny runners that worked great for low end grunt and would help fuel economy, Can any one else add to this ?
Or is that intake something I dreamt up ????
Google it youll find info on it.
Holly also made a similar intake and the original Torker was like it to. Have run the Torker original version on a jet boat. Worked fairly well. Did some work on the plenum and it improved it a lot. Sold the boat before I got around to porting the runners.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 AM

The water pump began leaking out the weep hole so it was replaced with a Edelbrock pump. While at it decided to replace the retarded timing set. To my supprise it had a Cloys double roller. No markings on the sprocket end of the cam gave any indication it had been changed.Upon removal found it to be the retarded one and one roller had a crack in it. Replaced it with a non retarded Cloys double roller. All the time woundering why the original owner did all these changes and probably didnt run much different than stock.
At this point the truck was hitting 11 MPG.
Decided it was time to pull one of my Holley's off the shelf. The engine had a plastic 4 hole spacer under the Edelbrock 750 which I retaind a slapped on a 750 dubble pumper.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Waiting for some pait to dry so thought I would continue.
The timing chain change to the earlier non retarded set improved power. The power band was still narrow probably 2000 to 3000 RPM with little differance. Valve float about 5500 RPM. It was a lot like driving a tractor. I could pull out from a stop in 3 or 4 th gear.
Tweeking with the carb idle curcuits and main jetting resulted in a 12 to 13 MPG Hiway empty or pulling a trailer.
About this time I purchased another boat. The trip to pick it up was 500 some miles each way. The boat weighed 9000 lbs dry and its trailer maybe about 2000 lbs. My truck weighs 6200 lbs. The trip there was between 11+ MPG to 13+ MPG amazingly towing the boat back was almost the same. I have friends with diesels that get about 8 MPG or so towing the same length / style boats that weigh 1500 to 2000 lbs less.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM

wayney Driving a Ford

did you replace the exhaust yet? my truck has the same set up and it looks like from the muffler back would show some good improvements. my has a 650dp, performer intake, small jegs cam, pi heads, c-6, 3.55 gears.here is a pic of mine haven't goten around to checking mpg yet was hoping to get a 750 vac and exhaust first. my favorite body style.

wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0421101525.jpg (76.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 PM

I began hauling pallets of brick and / or premixed cement for a friend who's truck broke down to make some extra cash. It was about time for tires and the fuel economy started to drop. I did ditch the running boards which picked up around 1 MPG. Screwing with a lot of stuff didnt get the economy back or if it did only lasted a few days and dropped again.
Bought what I thought were a great set of Brigstone tires. They worked fine around town hauling the above. Later running a trip 90 miles each way with my flat bed trailer they almost killed me.
The truck handled fine on the way there but returning was a different story. I had a 4000 lbs car on the trailer and 4 engines packed in the bed. Nothing I hadnt done before the new tires. This time though any speed 55 or over the truck would become almost impossible to control. I found myself fighting to stay on the road so many times trying to maintain the 55 MPH speed limit I gave up and kept the speed 45 to 55. Still it was the most frightning trip I evet had. Brigstone wouldnt take the tire back. 200.00 each and they sucked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1014.jpg (44.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 859.jpg (64.4 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-18-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.