Finding TDC for straight up timing chain install.help - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM

matpasch Driving a Ford
Default Finding TDC for straight up timing chain install.help

I'm installing a straight up timing chain in my otherwise stock '77 460.
I pulled all rad, etc off and with a socket on the crank bolt rotated till the balancer was at zero and the rotor was pointing at cyl #1 on ditributor.
I pulled timing cover but the crank and cam were not exactly lined at 6 & 12 oclock so I adjusted by rotating the crank slightly to make them line up perfect.

So I pulled the crank and cam gears off and went to instal my "straight up cloyes one, the cam sprocket lines up perfect at 6 ocklock still, but my stock crank gear had the keyway just slighty ( inbetween the 12ocklock mark and the next tooth towards 1 ocklock, but my cloyes crank gear has the keyway directly in line with the "0" 12 o'clock mark, so my question(finally) is, with the timing chain off is it ok to turn the crank back, counterclockwise slightly to line the wood ruff key to 12 ocklock, because right now it is sitting at say 12:10 because the stock keyway was slightly off???

Second question, I've noticed my rotor is actually pointing just past (left of) the #1cyl mark on distributor, directly in the middle of the #1 cyl terminal and the #5cyl am I at tDC?
Can I tell if I pull my passenger valve cover????
Or is this just like that because of the stock '77, retaded timing chain I'm switching out.

Thanks alot in advance, sorry about long post
mat
if I could give you beers in advance over the net I would.

Last edited by matpasch; 05-26-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM

turbo2256b First On Race Day

Ssould be at 12 and 6
Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 PM

matpasch Driving a Ford

Thanks, so it's ok to adjust the crank seperatly to make it Line up exactly at 12 o'clock?
Mat
Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 PM

turbo2256b First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpasch View Post
Thanks, so it's ok to adjust the crank seperatly to make it Line up exactly at 12 o'clock?
Mat

Key should be strait up, inallignment with 0* mark on the sprocket. Cam at 6 o clock 0 lift on #1 cylinder
Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 AM

OldRedFord Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord

Does the crank gear have more then one keyway?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 AM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Yes you can turn the crank back a few degrees to line up the keyway. It probably was out that much either because of the worn chain and gears or, as you say the cam was installed retarded. Rule of thumb when checking for a worn chain is to TDC the timing mark on the balancer by turning the engine forward, stop at 0, then slowly turn the engine backwards until the rotor button starts to move, read the timing marks, anything over 8* is considered excessive chain and gear wear. Hope that helps.
Rob
Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 AM

matpasch Driving a Ford

yes it has 3 keyways. Its a Cloyes street roller, it has the straight up 0 (they refer to as factory setting), and than an advanced and a retarded keyway(+or- 4 degrees). I know i want to set it straight up, zero advance, but just wasn't sure if it's ok to rotate the crank back slightly, separate from the cam, to get the key on the crank straight up, thanks. but sounds like it is ok to do this, as long as I don't touch the distributor, and I make the cam and crank sprockets line up at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock.

The thing throwing me off is that the stock crank sprocket i pulled off my '77 motor has the zero, a half a tooth back (counter clockwise) from the actual keyway, where as my new crank sprocket has the key way directly below the zero, so in order to make the new sprocket line up at 12 o'clock i have to roll the crank back slightly, and separate from the cam to make this happen, keeping the cam keyway at 6 o'clock.

Sorry, if that doesn't make any sense, just be thankful I don't write the manuals.

thanks
mat
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 AM

matpasch Driving a Ford

Thanks white lightning, just read your post, by the way that's one of my favorite movies. Gator's 429 4spd, with steelies and no caps, is pretty sweet.

So, I just line up the keyways and put it all back together, not touching the distributor, and everything thing should be set back at TDC when the balancer is at "0"?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 AM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Yip
Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 AM

wayney Driving a Ford

the keyway being a half a tooth off is how they retarded the cam from the factory. thats how you can tell it is a retarded timing set.

wayne
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM

mysticowner First On Race Day

Don't forget to set your timing when you are finished, get a timing light and yes you will have to turn the distributor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.