1949 Mercury coupe - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 AM

White Lightning First On Race Day

STOP! Don't weld on those mags! The slots are for multiple bolt circles. I promise you that if you just get the right mag lug nut (depth and thread size) and a mag nut washer it will work fine. I've used a plethora of those type wheels back in the day and they fit everything! Besides, if those wheels are actually Magnesium (which they may be) I guarantee you don't want to get them hot enough to catch fire....if they do, DO NOT TRY TO PUT OUT THE FIRE WITH WATER! The oxygen in the water makes a Magnesium fire even worse. Smother it instead. And if they are cast aluminum (which I suspect they are) then they won't weld worth a tinkers hoo-rah any way. As far as the lug nuts are concerned, the tapered shaft is just to facilitate starting the nut through the mag wheel. I strongly suspect that a straight shouldered one will work for you. Most passenger car and light trucks from the 40's on up have a 1/2"-24 thread. Hope that helps.
Rob
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

I bolted the 9" onto the stock Merc rear springs and put on a couple of pickup wheels. It looks like I'll have to narrow the rear end about 3 inches for the mags to work.
Next I put on the front hubs and a couple more pickup wheels. I'm surprised that the 460 doesn't squash the front suspension down more than that. I guess I'll have to cut a coil off the front springs and see where that sits her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (62.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg both.jpg (65.0 KB, 147 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

The bolts and the holes are tapered for their full depth, an inch or so. There are plates that go behind the wheels with the various patterns on it, but the 5 on 5 1/2 isn't one of them! I suppose a mill cutter could make straight sided holes the right pattern and use more normal wheel nuts and washers.
Everything we used the wheels on, except a Baja VW cut down pickup, was a chore to run them, they were always coming loose.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:24 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

Well, I cut a coil off the front springs and it didn't make much difference so I whacked another one off. The front end is about where I want it so I've just got to get the rear at about the same height now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lowered.jpg (73.3 KB, 155 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 AM

res0rli9 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Pope View Post
Well, I cut a coil off the front springs and it didn't make much difference so I whacked another one off. The front end is about where I want it so I've just got to get the rear at about the same height now.
Hey! Did Bonnie & Clyde drive that car at one time.

Looks good
Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 AM

Now THAT'S back yard mechanicin' at it's finest! I had a '53 DeSoto 2dr that I ended up cutting down a set of mid size Ford passenger car coils to get about 1 1/2" of suspension travel. The car LOOKED better without any springs at all but it was just too dangerous to drive. Don't worry about the holes in the body, a little heat and a dolly will take those right out, I've done some body's that were WAY worse than that! In fact I helped a friend put together a '57 Chev that took 4 cut up cars to build! There's some good iron in them oldies. What is the bolt circle of the rear? You know that you can redrill the rear axles and drums to practically any pattern that will physically fit on the flange, right? I've done it frequently. LOOKIN' GOOD!
Rob
Old 11-09-2010, 07:10 AM

D Pope First On Race Day

Bonnie and Clyde never made it this far north! I think the Mad Trapper of Rat River might have been driving it when Sergeant Preston of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police finally caught up with him.
There's about a dozen high power rounds that went right on through and a bunch of 22 calibre that dented the passengers door up pretty bad. I don't need to worry about the ones in the door though since it needs to be reskinned anyway. Those high power holes need to be heated to straighten them out since the stretching work hardened them a lot.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Well heat 'em up and anneal that steel! lol
Rob
Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

I decided to a bit on styIing instead of mechanicals today. I placed a 49 Monarch (that's a Canadian Merc for you south of the border types} grille in the opening to see what it looked like. It sticks out of the opening too far like a set of false teeth that are too big but it does have possibilities. I narrowed it up about three inches and that let it move back around three inches too. Now it won't stick out ahead of the opening. Next I took a second Monarch grille apart and put four more teeth in the first one. It looks like a keeper now. I'll have to even the spacing of the teeth out so the last one is closer to the end and it'll be great. The bumperettes have to go though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5991.jpg (77.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5992.jpg (62.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5995.jpg (79.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5997.jpg (75.7 KB, 146 views)
Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 PM

Skidmark First On Race Day

That grill looks bitchin with more teeth added, I concur though...ditch the bumperettes...they cover up part of that cool old grill. Keep up the great work and pics
Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 AM

Looks way good. How about flipping the front bumper over?
Rob
Old 11-18-2010, 02:40 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

It looks better without the bumperettes. I tried turning the bumper over but the bottom just has about a 1 inch lip and it doesn't cover the gap in front of the bumper pan. I like the way it slopes under like a rolled pan so will have to see what I can come up with to make it work.
I started on the steering box and the Merc uses smaller diameter tie rod ends than the pickup. I noticed that both output shafts are the same diameter so I took off the steering arms and guess what? They're the same spline. The Merc one has thicker blind splines but a little friendly persuasion with a BFH gets rid of the excess material. That sure simplifies the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5998.jpg (94.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5999.jpg (92.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 08:05 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

I'm doing a bit of body work for a change of pace. There's a lot of heating and beating and welding involved.
I dug out a set of 53 Ford headlight rings so I'll French them in. They usually just weld the rings onto the fronts of the fenders and putty them in but that ends up with kind of a bug eyed appearance. I cut the headlight opening bigger and pulled the ring into place from the back. This will take way less filler and will retain the rounded fender and still keep the Ford inner chrome.
I tried one of the front mags for looks but it's just got one stud so it'll fit. I'm getting the local machinist to mill 11/16" holes in the Merc pattern then ordinary long straight shank mag wheel nuts will work. A local supplier wants almost $8 each for the nuts and on Ebay they're $25 for 20 of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6004.jpg (73.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6005.jpg (62.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6007.jpg (60.6 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by D Pope; 11-24-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 PM

LOL Yup, that's some tough metal huh?
Rob
Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM

79F250SC First On Race Day

I like the way you are headed with this build.....Nice work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.