Cam and cam bearings - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 PM

MTDave First On Race Day
Default Cam and cam bearings

Hello everyone. I'm running a 1971 Lincoln 460 block, And its having some Oiling Issues. Before I get to that, I'll explain about my rig, and what happened in the first place.

My rig:
1973 F-450 Frame
1975 Jeep CJ5 Body
460-c6-205
Rockwell Axles (front steer, solid rear) on 47" LTB's

What happened:

Over time, wheeling with the rig, Lots of jumps, bumps, and general thrills while mudding, i didnt notice, the raised center Chunk of my Rockwell front axle has a top plate cover, which one of the bolt heads had been tapping my oil pan. one day while wheeling, I hit a bump hard enough that it punctured through the oil pan, shooting all my oil out. With full Hydro steering, I had to leave it running, but in neutral, ans my buddy quickly (2 minutes) pulled me to his shop.

Upon inspection, Piston walls were still perfect, Head components were fine. The Main+Rod bearings had gone to the copper layer (mid of the 3), however the crank+rod surfaces were still perfect. So i went ahead and changed all rod+crank bearings back to 10 over. Swapped in a High Volume Pump, and a new timing set while i was there.

When i reassembled all of it, Fired right up, and at 75-80 PSI.

But heres my problem: At about 5 minutes of running, even at idle, It drops to 60 PSI. 10 minutes, 40 PSI, and so on. It still hasnt dropped below 5 PSI. When i hit the gas to about 2000 RPM it always perks up 20-40PSI. WHile i've been told that 5-10PSI is ok to run, Its seriously bothering me, as the Chiltons book says the block should run 60-80 PSI at 2000rpm, and around 40 for Idle.

I got to it, and took everything apart. It was indeed Cam Bearings!

So I've been doing some research and it seems the best fix is to go with Wider Cam Bearings - Anyone have an Idea where to pick up a set of these?

I was also thinking of stepping up the cam a bit while I'm at it. Which would also benefit from replacing the stock carb.

I realize im going to need to change the springs on the head for the new cam as well, I'm checking to find my Head ID code, (id imagine D1VE or D0VE) and find the stock spring rate to see if i can find a cam within those limits, but thats doubtful.

Anyone have and suggestions for cam and Carb? And anything else i missed? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

I have the cam bearings for sale and providing a "custom" camshaft would also be no problem.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM

2slow Driving a Ford

give rmcomprandy a call with all you specs . he can get the right cam and supporting parts for you
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

You do not need a high volume pump for what you are doing.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 PM

MTDave First On Race Day

I will most likely do that and call Randy when i get some free time (work takes up 16 hours a day).

@MrScharfenberger
Yeah, I know... But it wasnt that much more expensive, and i figured why not? I'll need it sooner or later when i go much bigger.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 PM

MTDave First On Race Day

Finaly got the head ID - D3VE A2A. Are these decent for stock? Or should I upgrade? Was kinda eyeing the P-51 heads... lol
Old 09-12-2010, 03:17 AM

gregaust Driving a Ford

You need different pistons for P-51's or different valve reliefs . Durabond FP-30 is the prefered 460 cam bearings
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

You really need a large volume oil pan with that oil pump. The high volume pump isn't that bad but you really need the other parts to back it up. At a higher RPM you could suck a stock oil pan dry and fill your valve covers with oil. I originally bought a high volume pump for my build as well. My machine shop guy told me to take it back. I was hesitent. I then spoke with another guru and he said the same thing. So I did... Just passing along the info. Maybe some other more knowledgeable guys will chime in on this one. From what I understand you can suck the pan dry. I'm also using a custom built 8 quart pan. At the time I wasn't. That is why they were concerned. I still have a stock volume pump from Milodon and I've never had any issues. But my bottom end has been worked on to flow a good amount of oil. I know stock 460's could have problems with proper oiling down low.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM

MTDave First On Race Day

So while it was apart, I decided to go ahead and up the bump-stick a bit.

For a refresher, Here is my setup:
1971 D1VE block (.030 over) Stock Rebuilt
D3VE heads, stock re-built
Edelbrock Performer Intake
RIght now, its a Holley 2-barrel TBI Aftermarket Fuel Injection system, I would like to switch to carb for racing, But im not sure which carb to run, because that will also depend on CAM selection. Or maybe run propane down the road.

Based on some suggestion, I was looking at Comp's XE256H Grind (P/N 34-234-4). Just wondering on the thoughts are on that? Also, If i go with that, DO i need to replace my valve springs? (stock stamped steel rockers) And if so, Can i use the stock rate springs for break-in? Would i have to change anything else relating, such as push rods, retainers, or the like?

Just tryinhg to get my ducks in a row, as I would really like to have it back together in 2 1/2 weeks for a trail run.

@MrScharfenberger
Could you recommend an oil pan suitable for my build? I honestly don't know the complexities on the inner workings of the more sophisticated oil pans, on anything beyond a stock level (no baffels, trap doors, windage trays) Or should i just go pick up a stock flowing pump?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM

Bobby Brown First On Race Day

The jessel wide cam bearings are well worth the money.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 PM

MTDave First On Race Day

Have the cam bearings ordered, and should arrive at my house tomorrow.

I could still use some advice, or a few opinions on the cam selection though. Would like to order teh cam tomorrow so i dont have to cut everything so close for assembly
Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 PM

MTDave First On Race Day

bump for time crunch
Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 AM

The Pope First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
give rmcomprandy a call with all you specs . he can get the right cam and supporting parts for you
This is what you should do! He can grind you a custom cam that will work better than any off the shelf cams out there! It would be Money Well Spent.

1(586)909-1591

What I "Think" I want to build: 545ci, P-51 Heads, 10-10.5:1 cr, Hyd Roller Cam w/ solid roller lifters (?Isky’s EZ Roller Lifters?), Stealth 8021 IM, Street Gas, all with room to grow so that later I can use it to just strike fear in the eyes of them Chebby Guys!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM

MTDave First On Race Day

And I did indeed give him a call. However, time is not on my side going that route. Then again, I may have to, and miss the event I've prepped for all year long anyway.

Off the shelf would get me going in half the time
Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM

The Pope First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDave/
And I did indeed give him a call. However, time is not on my side going that route. Then again, I may have to, and miss the event I've prepped for all year long anyway.

Off the shelf would get me going in half the time
If you get the "Off The Shelf" cam, you'll be able to participate at "The Event", but you will wonder what you missed out on by not getting the cam from Randy. Expecilly if you don't do good enough at "The Event".

Now if you wait on the cam that Randy spec's out, it may cost you by not letting you participate in "The Event". But you'd be much better for next years "Event". Plus you'd save all of that extra $$$ you spend replacing the "Off The Shelf" cam after it didn't do well enough at "The Event".

It's your money and I'm just saying.....

What I "Think" I want to build: 545ci, P-51 Heads, 10-10.5:1 cr, Hyd Roller Cam w/ solid roller lifters (?Isky’s EZ Roller Lifters?), Stealth 8021 IM, Street Gas, all with room to grow so that later I can use it to just strike fear in the eyes of them Chebby Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.