460 into a 1969 torino - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM

jtgb428 Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to jtgb428
Default 460 into a 1969 torino

hey guys, jim here. i thought that dropping in a 460 into my 69 torino would be a fairly easy and senseable swap. my car has a 390 in it now so it is baically set up for a big block. i have more people telling me not to do it than i have people telling me to do it. here are some examples-to heavy of an engine, i wont like the way it handles and goes down the road, motor mount issues, fabrication to the tranny tunnel, numerous things under the hood that have to be moved around to make room for the engine, etc,etc. i know you guys are running 460s in your 68-69 torinos and fairlanes so please tell me what im up against with this swap. my torino is a street car, it is not all original by any means so pulling the 390 is no big deal. im not worried about handeling because as i said it is basically a street car. if i am opening up a can of worms let me know. thanks, jim.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Tim1859 Driving a Ford

These might help:

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8021

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1262
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Bruce Wilkie Driving a Ford

The engine bays really arent terribly different in a 66-69 fairlane/torino than a 70-71 fairlane/torino. Tight fit yes, but plenty of 429/460's get swapped into these cars. There are several I've seen around here on cruise nights/shows and never heard anyone complain. Sure looks identical to my 71 Torino and the 460 fits just fine. (even with 2.125" headers though a bit of a pain to install them) Wish I had pics of when I had my 528 motor mocked into place in my 71.

IIRC the 390 is at least as heavy if not heavier than a 460. The trans tunnel clears a c6 so I dont see where that could be an issue. Maybe with Boss heads there may be an issue with power brake booster clearance? Stock radiator hose positions are the only thing I can think might be different. You need a front sump pan. 70-71 429 motor mounts should fit. 70-71 Torino Hooker Super Comp 429/460 headers fit 69 Mustangs I dont see where they wouldnt fit a 69 Torino as well. Sure only relatively minor mods if they didnt.

My 2 cents I think others wish they had a 460 vs their little 289/302/351 in their Torino and are either jealous or misinformed.

Get that 460 in there!

Last edited by Bruce Wilkie; 10-10-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 AM

BOSS 429 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgb428 View Post
hey guys, jim here. i thought that dropping in a 460 into my 69 torino would be a fairly easy and senseable swap. my car has a 390 in it now so it is baically set up for a big block. i have more people telling me not to do it than i have people telling me to do it. here are some examples-to heavy of an engine, i wont like the way it handles and goes down the road, motor mount issues, fabrication to the tranny tunnel, numerous things under the hood that have to be moved around to make room for the engine, etc,etc. i know you guys are running 460s in your 68-69 torinos and fairlanes so please tell me what im up against with this swap. my torino is a street car, it is not all original by any means so pulling the 390 is no big deal. im not worried about handeling because as i said it is basically a street car. if i am opening up a can of worms let me know. thanks, jim.

ive done this more then once, same eng bay as 70 71 torino , no firewall work needs done,
BUY,SELL,TRADE BIG BLOCK FORD parts

CLYINDER HEAD PORTING
COMPLETE ENGINES
STROKERS TO STOCK SCJ TO BOSS 429'S
632 557 532 598CI ETC
READY TO RUN OR DYNOED
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 AM

radir68 Driving a Ford

This is a great swap. The power brake booster fits with stock valve covers, trans fits (c6) in the tunnel. Worst part is changing plugs. The shock towers are really close. The rad is to fan clearance is tight but works. I used the crites swap parts in mine. I would go for it. Have fun.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 AM

fordmonsta Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to fordmonsta

i did my 68 a few year ago, made my own mounts but apparently they must have been real close to what crites makes because their headers fit good after teh fact, all said and done it is an easy swap, if i did it all over again i'd just go with the right stuff rather than making it all, but like said before, the shock towers are a pain, i ended up notching mine back and plating them in and that helped get header bolts in and spark plugs were fairly easy at that point, wish i'd have kept tha car, sold it about year and a half ago
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM

19mach69 Driving a Ford

If I remember right the 66 and up Falcon has the same engine bay as the Torino. My 460 dropped right in with no problems. When I get the headers in I can see it potentially making it harder to change spark plugs. I got my motor mounts from crites and it installed easily.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Flip First On Race Day

Fits like a charm. I've dropped a 429scj into a 68 fairlane and I have a 460 in my 1966 fairlane.

From what I've heard the difference in weight is around 70lbs. But that's assuming cast just about everything on both motors. Replacing the intake with aluminum just about evens that out.

Here are some pics of my '66 the engine is tight but I've done zero mods to the engine compartment. I'm planning on hacking out the shock towers next time I pull the motor just for the hell of it.

I definitely advise relocation on the oil filter as seen here:

Going to a fiberglass hood will drop about 50lbs too:

I run a perma cool electric fan set to push. it was too tight of a fit to make it work in a pulling fashion:

The fit looks a lit tighter then it really is, but that's part of what makes the swap badass IMHO:

As far as handling goes? It doesn't drive any different then any '66 out there with a 390. It's some weight up front, but with the weight saving features (fiberglass fenders/hood, aluminum intake, headers that weigh less then the heavy cast manifolds...) I'm actually lighter then I was with the 390 in the car.

I have a ton more pics too, if you want to see them just let me know.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 PM

bigblockfairlane First On Race Day
Default valve covers

hey flip curious about motorsport valve covers won`t clear master cyl.on my 66fairlane or was that a pic of your 68 engine bay. Bill
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Slow Poke First On Race Day

I'm about to embark on my own 429 swap into my '69 F code Torino. I'm so excited! This forum has given me a lot to go off of and I think I have a pretty good idea of what's in store. Thanks to all of you that have posted; if you have anymore tips or tricks I'm all ears! Anything I should be on the look out for? That maybe wasn't covered in these swap talks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.