What bearing clearance and oil? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 PM

Duane Driving a Ford
Default What bearing clearance and oil?

Strip only, less than 500hp, simple build.... What kind of bearing clearance do I want and what weight oil should I use. I always see guys say to use the weight oil that is for your clearance. Is there a chart for clearance vs. oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

I like .0025-.003" clearance on the looser side of that for strictly racing purpose and I have always used Valvoline VR-1 20w50 Racing oil. You will probably get a wide range of answers.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 PM

Rodeheaver Driving a Ford

I like to get mine between .0015-.002 and i use rotella 15-40, i have tryed different oil in the car on the chassis dyno with no real measureable differences. My main thought is to protect the motor, not try and squeeze 2 more HP out of a 600HP combo with light weight oil. I like oil that clings to things, the lighter weight oils seem to run right off of stuff like it wasnt there. JUST MY 0.02$
Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Duane Driving a Ford

I thought maybe I was needing around .0025-.003, I need to get the crank turned and hopefully this time it will be loose, the last time two rods were around .0005, didn't last long, and this time I'm checking the clearance. I just didn't know if that loose needed 20/50 or if 10/30(or 40) would work. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblok86ranger View Post
I like .0025-.003" clearance on the looser side of that for strictly racing purpose and I have always used Valvoline VR-1 20w50 Racing oil. You will probably get a wide range of answers.
X2 on the clearances

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Old 11-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

My motors have all been in the specs I have listed and I have run 10w40 in them with no noticeable drop in oil pressure. My current engine was .0029-.003" on all journals rods and mains and holds 65psi warm and will go up to 90 with rpms. My last 466 was assembled with .00275" on rods and mains and after 7 years of beating the crap out of it still held 55psi warm at idle and 90 at 6500rpm's.

But like I kinda hinted to earlier every engine builder will have a tolerance that they feel is the best, and tons of different opinions on oil.

My reasoning on using Valvoline is on my first rebuilt engine I tried several brands of oil (all with FL1A filter) and every single one except Valvoline would drop 10psi of oil pressure after I had 1000 miles on the oil and I didn't care for that. That was 13 years ago and there are some different oils available now but I just stick with what works for me.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!

Last edited by bigblok86ranger; 11-25-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:07 PM

466f150 First On Race Day

my clearances are .0025-.003 and i'm running rotella 15w40-holds 60psi cold but when it warms up it's 20-25 at idle 45 cruising,seems kinda low to me
Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 PM

Duane Driving a Ford

Thanks everyone, all replies seem pretty close. I might use 10-40 while it's still cold, and then switch to 20-50 when it hits 100 degrees here, like in Feb!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:38 AM

Johnny Torino First On Race Day
Default good question!

I have 460 with 500 HP street configuration.

I run 20W50 on 0.0035 clearance on main bearings and standard Melling Oil pump. Cold pressure was 60 PSI and warm pressure was 37 PSI > 2000 RPM.

Yesterday i took crankshaft out of engine, bearings are damaged. Looks like not enough oil, in the middle of the bearings lead is gone.

my opinion is until 500 HP a clearance of 0.0020 and 20W50 grade with hot weather will keep the crank healty.

what do you think?

greetings from the Netherlands
Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 AM

DJOHAGIN Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Torino View Post
I have 460 with 500 HP street configuration.

I run 20W50 on 0.0035 clearance on main bearings and standard Melling Oil pump. Cold pressure was 60 PSI and warm pressure was 37 PSI > 2000 RPM.

Yesterday i took crankshaft out of engine, bearings are damaged. Looks like not enough oil, in the middle of the bearings lead is gone.

my opinion is until 500 HP a clearance of 0.0020 and 20W50 grade with hot weather will keep the crank healty.

what do you think?

greetings from the Netherlands
Greetings.

I think your combo shows what happens when you don't have the correct combination of parts. While it is commonly done having .0035 clearances on the mains, it is usually not done for a street engine and especially with a standard volume oil pump. As you have discovered, if you run large clearances, you need a lot of oil. Just reduce your clearances to .003 and run a HV oil pump, and you'll be fine.

On a related subject, individuals have to realize that you can run tighter clearances, and thinner oil, but the component selection, machining and bearing set-up is going to be more expensive. Having .003 clearances allows the components a little "movement" factor and the thick oil takes up the extra clearances.

Hope that helps,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.