EFI fuel injectors - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM

arb905 First On Race Day
Default EFI fuel injectors

I have some other questions in regards to the fuel injection on the batch fired EFI systems.

1) If I were to uprgrade the injectors from 24lb to 30 lb, install an adj fuel pressure regulator and higher flow fuel pump. Will the computer be able to handle head porting, towing cam, headers and free flow exhaust? Maybe a remote mount turbo one day?

2) Will the injectors sold by Jegs work? (i.e. did Ford use the same type of injector and pin combinations on their motors in 1995?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 PM

old-n-sloow Driving a Ford

I've been told and found online calculators that say the stock injectors will handle 350 hp, and that's about where you will be with the work your asking about. An adjustable regulator should help. Careful with the cam, I bought mine (not installed yet..) from Scott at RHP, he's done a bunch of these trucks and has the combo figured out, as do others on this forum.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:08 AM

arb905 First On Race Day

OK. Someone on the Ford truck forum posted some info on porting and valve enlargement on a set of stock EFI heads. He said after bumping up fuel pressure to max and replaceing the fuel filters, it would still lean out on the top end. Others on the forum suggested 30lb injectors and new fuel pumps saying the fuel pumps were near max capacity already. Any ideas on this?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm going to try the stock size injectors and no chip programming to start with. I've seen the FTE thread your talking about, but I'll be running at 2/3 throttle and 3000-4000 rpm a whole lot more than I'll be WFO at 5000. I will be getting a set of balanced rebuilt injectors and an adjustable regulator, and if that has problems I'll do whatever it takes to make it right. Keeping as much stock stuff as possible is my goal though, if something fails when I'm on vacation stock replacement stuff is easy to find.

If you go with the #30s please post how they work!

Do you think a booster pump is right for this, or are you thinking replacing (both) in-tank pumps?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 PM

arb905 First On Race Day

I was thinking booster pump but I have dual tanks and a selector, and not sure how that might work, looking in to it. I'd like to find an in tank that would work but not too sure on that. I don't want to drop a tank or pull the bed until I know for sure. I going to keep an eye on the FTE thread and start some of those mods. I just want to have enough power to pull trailers up and down these hills where I live and drive. Don't think i'll ever be above 4k rpm.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM

arb905 First On Race Day

One more thing. Looks like you have the same setup as me only a few years older. What trans came in these trucks. I can never find anything definate. It is a large odd shape pan that says METRIC on it.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

If you have an automatic with overdrive then it's the E4OD. Can be a very strong trans with the right rebuild, but they have a bad rep for early failure caused by the stock programming and a weak lockup convertor from the factory. A shift kit, a big cooler and a new convertor can make them good for a long time if you catch it before it dies, otherwise plan on at least $2k for a good shop to make it strong. Mine was $2400, but was money well spent, it works great now.

I was thinking a booster pump could be powered by both stock pump feeds through relays, so that if either pump is on one of the relays would close and power the booster.

I hear ya on the hills, if I'm burning gas at 6-8 mpg I want the thing to pull the hills like a big block should..
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM

arb905 First On Race Day

Amen brother. Thanks on the tip about the trans. i have 90k on it now and plan to flush it and put a new filter on. All the converters I found are expensive and the Banks kit could be the ticket.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Selder Driving a Ford

Changing from a 24lb to a 30lb is 25% jump in fueling which the ECU probably wouldn't tolerate and is probably more than you would need anyway for the mods you listed. You would likely have to reduce fuel pressure which ultimately would probably get you back to the same flow rate as a 24lb but with worse atomization. The pump however would have more capacity with the 30lb injectors since the fuel pressure would be lower which increases flow rate.

I can't speak to the capacity of the in-tank pumps but I tested an in-line pump that I pulled off of an F150 (vans used them too) and it should easily cover 350HP at stock pressure. I'm using two in parallel on my 600HP turbo Mustang running 60psi fuel pressure. I'm not sure which trucks got the inline and which got the intank.

I'm in the same boat as you for figuring out how to trick the SD EFI. I'm in process of porting a set of heads to use on my 95 F250 after one of the originals cracked. I'll be adding headers at the same time. Bumping fuel pressure with an AFPR is crude but should work "OK" for higher load and WOT use (i.e. open loop) as long as you have a WB O2 sensor to tune with. I'm afraid however that it's going to make the truck run like crap when starting it up on a cold -15F morning since it's open loop as well and will then run extra rich.

Steve
Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 PM

I'm planning on an adjustable regulator right away, then whatever it needs if the regulator won't make it right. Moates makes a really cool unit called the Quarterhorse that does real time monitoring and allows changing the map while driving.
I'm hoping I (we) don't have to go that far, but I made sure the stuff was out there before I started gathering parts.

I think there's a company called Ari that sells good convertors for $300-400, a buddy of mine just got one for his powerstroke, I'll ask him how it's working next time I see him.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 AM

arb905 First On Race Day

cool, not to keen on changing much with the injectors. Just curious to know if anyone else has any knowledge on it. I'd like to know how the gut on FTE has faired with all of his mods. I know the Ford EFI heads flow real poor on the exhaust side, as does the rest of the exhaust system. I would image that is why Banks uses a header and 3.5" exhasut system to get the power they claim. I'd like to be able to do what they have done without spending $2500. It's aslo kinda hard to find a shop where I'm at to do any kind of work on my truck. Weighing my options right now. I like my truck but I'm on the hunt for one with less difficulty to mod.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM

I'm waiting to see how FTE guy comes out in the end, he has the resources to gain a lot of knowledge. I'd love to have dyno access to check out my mods..

The exhaust ports on the EFI heads are supposed to be pretty good, it's just the rest of the exhaust system that sucks. Just a cat back 3" makes a big difference, then headers give you another good boost. I'll be replacing my single 3" / flowmaster with a single 3 1/2" / Hooker Aerochamber one of these days, I'll post what that does whenever I get it done. I'm running Hedman headers throught the stock cat, it'll be interesting to see if the bigger pipe and better muffler help much. I've got the Banks stuff duplicated for less than a grand. $500 for my headers, $80 for the muffler and I've been quoted $300 for a 3 1/2 cat back if I supply the muffler.

Easier to mod. The only thing that is tough on these trucks is if you need ECM mods (a chip), otherwise it's all pretty easy and no more expensive than any other newer truck. Sad part is that this was all figured out years ago, pre-internet. It's just a challenge to find the guys who remember. Scott Johnston and Randy Malik have a ton of knowledge on the motors, and are willing to share it (so buy parts from them when you need something..) I just haven't found the electronics guru yet that knows the ECM ins and outs. But those guys are out there, just gotta find them.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 PM

arb905 First On Race Day

The 3.5" exhaust helps tremendously. I put a Magnaflow Race pipe and nearly straigth exhaust behind the cat. Awesome sound and runs real good, just still feels like its missing something. Headers might be it. I'm gonna keep looking.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 PM

so67vw Driving a Ford

I'm running the stock injectors with my 557 (lunati cam/L&L headers/3"exhaust/stock heads with a simple cleaning).... I have an SDS computer running all factory 460 and a Bauman tranny controller (along with an extensive trans rebuild/upgrade)... I have never seen over 87% duty cycle and my wideband lets me know that it is safe.... I don't spin my truck over 4k though cause there is absolutely no reason to.... If I did need to, it seems that going into the higher duty cycle wouldn't hurt for that one very rare instance... The one thing I like about this combo is the increase MPG since I don't have to step into it unless I want to boil the duals.....
Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 PM

67, could you post some more about your computer? Who's SDS, and who wrote your program?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.