intake manifold pecking order - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM

77highboy460 Bleeding Blue
Exclamation intake manifold pecking order

There is a great great sticky for cylinder head pecking order so I wanted to start one myself with the help of those on the forum regarding intake manifolds. Will people please add their oppinions on this subject and different intakes and where they should rank in the scale. Thank you tons everyone making this happen, it will greatly help young, inexperienced builders like myself that plan on a life of engine building and performance. And we won't bug the **** out of all of you with questions. Here is what I have so far.....

thanks again,

chuck

429/460 INTAKE MANIFOLD PECKING ORDER

NAME/RPM RANGE/PRICE
Tunnel Ram…..

TFS-54494000 R series A460 Tunnel Ram/4500-8500/$614.95----------Best for use with A460 heads. Can fit any family of head with adapter plates from Price Motorsports.
Weiand Hi-Ram/2800-9000/$359.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.

Single Plane…..

TFS-54400111 R series A460/3500-8000/$634.95----------Best for use with A460 heads. Can fit any family of head with adapter plates from Price Motorsports.
TFS-53400111 Track Heat/3500-8000/$399.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Edelbrock Victor/3500-8000/$305.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Ford Racing Single Plane Dominator/3500-8000/$335.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic/2500-6500/$200----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Edelbrock Torker II/2500-6500/$259.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.

Dual Plane…..

Blue Thunder Dual Quad/not for sure/not for sure----------Uses two 4 barrel carburetors. Works best with Blue Thunder Heads. Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Weiand 8021/Idle-6800/$219.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Cobra Jet sized port openings works best with CJ heads. Larger intake runners.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap/1500-6500/$342.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Best to keep intake charge cool. Larger intake runners.
Edelbrock Performer RPM/1500-6500/$239.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Larger intake runners.
Weiand 8012/Idle-6800/$185.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Recommend gasket match.
Police Interceptor and SCJ iron intake/Idle-6500/$150----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Larger intake runners. Cobra Jet sized port opennings.
Edelbrock Performer/Idle-5500/$229.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Recommend gasket match.
Stocker 429 and 460 iron intake/Idle-5500/$50----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Recommend gasket match.

These intake manifolds are in their stock form and unported.

At the top of the list is the tunnel ram style intake that is designed for high rpm hp and tend to be best for strip style setups that will see frequent high rpm passes. Tunnel Ram intakes give up tq down low and street friendliness for the unmatched flow at high end.

The single plane is best for a street strip style setup that will maintain streetability but needs the performance at the top end for a weekend trip to the races. Some bottom end is given up with this style but intake velocity and plenum volume is still kept at a reasonable rate to allow great performance in mid-range as well as top end.

Dual plane intake manifolds offer the best option for low end torque and mid range power. The idle quality tends to be a little better and fuel consumption tends to be a little better. Dual plane intakes may require a slightly larger carb to feed the engine efficiently. Plenum volume can be increased with a carb spacer to help bridge the gap to a single plane intake.

This list shows the top of the list being the highest flow and least streetablity. the bottom then shows the most streetability and best option for low end tq. Different combinations call for different intake manifolds and as the displacement goes up, so will the required flow. That said, they will all still tend to have the same characteristics regardless of displacement.

The prices listed are for unpolished finish so you can have some sort of idea what to expect for a price and if you are getting a good deal on a used piece. Prices are from summitracing.com for the most part so there may be better deals out there.

There are also adapter plates made by Price Motorsports that can fit any family of intake to any family of heads..........(read on)

courtesy of charlie evans

Yes, Price Motorsports makes some adaptors for the BB Ford. Their adapter that I am aware of, and have used, allows one to install a OEM oval port DOVE/CJ style manifold on A-460 heads. That's all.

I make adapters to install A-460 manifolds such as the TFS, on C-460 heads, and also another set to install A-460 manifolds on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

I also make the spacers required to install the FRPP C-460 intake manifold on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

Hope this helps,

courtesy of rmcomprandy

Charlie you missed this one,
Price also makes adapters to install a standard intake manifold on the later F.I. production heads.

Last edited by 77highboy460; 01-14-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM

The Pope First On Race Day

I found within this thread: http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthr...stealth&page=2 (post #16) this link:
http://www.walt-n-anne.com/Ranchero/shootout.html

Might be a good start for this information.

What I "Think" I want to build: 545ci, P-51 Heads, 10-10.5:1 cr, Hyd Roller Cam w/ solid roller lifters (?Isky’s EZ Roller Lifters?), Stealth 8021 IM, Street Gas, all with room to grow so that later I can use it to just strike fear in the eyes of them Chebby Guys!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:52 PM

checked out the thread and site, great start but I am looking for a little more detail. I wish I had enough knowledge to start this thing.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 PM

fordman59 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77highboy460 View Post
checked out the thread and site, great start but I am looking for a little more detail. I wish I had enough knowledge to start this thing.
Don't need any more knowledge. Just start one and ask members to add to or correct what ya start with.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 PM

will do, I'm starting it tonight. Looking for support from all and if anyone has any reason for me to change what I have or add to it, I will be extremely happy to hear from you and add your intake.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Very good read Pope, thank you.
Rob
Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 PM

The Pope First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Very good read Pope, thank you.
Rob
Your welcome. I found it (thread on this site) last week. Who knew that using the "Search" function would find such information!

What I "Think" I want to build: 545ci, P-51 Heads, 10-10.5:1 cr, Hyd Roller Cam w/ solid roller lifters (?Isky’s EZ Roller Lifters?), Stealth 8021 IM, Street Gas, all with room to grow so that later I can use it to just strike fear in the eyes of them Chebby Guys!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
Your welcome. I found it (thread on this site) last week. Who knew that using the "Search" function would find such information!
LMAO! Who knew?
Rob
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 AM

That's a real good list there Chuck. Maybe they can make this a sticky when it's all finished.....
Rob
Old 01-02-2011, 01:10 AM

That is what I'm hoping. I would like a little more info and I will edit and make this a bit more detailed and add more intakes as well. I am looking for input so we can make this worth keeping. Am I missing any intakes that you can think of that are still readily available?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 AM

darrin1999 First On Race Day

imo there is no "pecking order" for intakes... its whatever fits your application... if you run a small cam with a victor- its going to lose too much low end and the cam isnt going to allow enough rpm to get the port velocity up enough to bring it into the powerband where the intake works properly... likewise with a huge cam and a regular performer intake the small runners are going to be a restriction when getting the cam into the rpm range it likes... its all about the combo
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM

ScottJackson Driving a Ford

True, but that's the same it is with cylinder heads. Not much point in putting max ported C heads on a stock grocery getter. But I think the pecking order list is a good thing. A lot of times someone may think, "I want an intake with more high rpm performance than a performer but don't know if a Stealth would be a step up or down from a Performer RPM".
Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin1999 View Post
imo there is no "pecking order" for intakes... its whatever fits your application... if you run a small cam with a victor- its going to lose too much low end and the cam isnt going to allow enough rpm to get the port velocity up enough to bring it into the powerband where the intake works properly... likewise with a huge cam and a regular performer intake the small runners are going to be a restriction when getting the cam into the rpm range it likes... its all about the combo
This is why I have the rpm range listed as well as the orginization in streetability. No one will look at this list and think that a victor intake with the rpm range of 3500-8000 will work well with their truck peaking at 4500 and built for torque. This is a baseline to get people on the right track so they don't start chasing tunnel ram intakes with large chambered stock D3VE heads because other hot rods have them and they look cool.

I appreciate the encouragement scottjackson.

I updated, tell me what you think. it looks a little prettier......
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Well, YEAH, Chuck, Hot Rods DO look cool with a Tunnel ram! lol Now, If I can figure out how to get just ONE more 4 BBL Holley on my set up..... lol Yup, that's turning into a pretty cool list!
Rob
Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM

ScottJackson Driving a Ford

I don't think there's much point in going into sheet metal intakes and such on this list. Kinda like including the A441 hemi heads in the head pecking order list. Anyone actually thinking of buying those parts doesn't (or shouldn't) need to refer to a basic list like this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.