can you run 11:1 compression with 93 octane??? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 AM
tiger tiger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hartsburg, MO
Posts: 876
tiger Driving a Ford
Default can you run 11:1 compression with 93 octane???

I am curious if you can run an 11:1 engine with cast iron heads on it on the street with 93 octane gas. If a cam grinder custom grinds a cam will it be able to or is it just to much compression?

engine is a 552 ci, fully ported D3 heads, headers, 1150 dommy, new TFS intake, zero decked, flattop pistons, fox mustang car, 4.11 gears, 3,000 stall, don't have cam yet.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Paul Kane's Avatar
Paul Kane Paul Kane is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,157
Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

It's technically possible with just the right parts combination, including addtional details such as polished chambers, fire slots, among other things.

It's not something I normally recommend nor would I normally build such an engine for a customer that must run pump gas...but it's technically do-able with iron heads.

Paul
__________________
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 AM
customblackbird's Avatar
customblackbird customblackbird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,311
customblackbird First On Race Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I am curious if you can run an 11:1 engine with cast iron heads on it on the street with 93 octane gas. If a cam grinder custom grinds a cam will it be able to or is it just to much compression?

engine is a 552 ci, fully ported D3 heads, headers, 1150 dommy, new TFS intake, zero decked, flattop pistons, fox mustang car, 4.11 gears, 3,000 stall, don't have cam yet.
Static compression means absolutly nothing bc the engine will never see that, static compression will increase/decrease as dynamic compression changes (if you were to change it). What you want to figure out is dynamic compression. There are many tools on the net that can figure this out for you. However you will need the cam specs and all your motor specs to complete the formula. static compression is the full compression at TDC if the intake valve is closed from the bottom of the stroke. As we all know cam duration will affect the closing time of the valves so essentially it will bleed off compression, depending on the cam compression could just start when the piston has already moved 1/4way up the bore! As the intake valve is still closing the compression will bleed off so your static compression isnt accurate at all! Dynamic compression will NEVER change throughout the engines life unless you change things like cams, stroke, rod size, head gaskets, head chamber size.

My 521 should have 10:817:1 compression STATIC but my dynamic compression is only 8.872:1. This is the number you want to figure out.

heres what i used
http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

My question is that I CAN NOT find any solid information on what is the highest dynamic compression that can be run with 93 octane. I know that alot of things affect this, head material is one, also quench, engine temp, timing etc. Since mine is aluminum heads i should ward off detonation more than you, and i will keep my engine temps down as much as possible.

So the real question is... can ANYONE tell us how much dynamic compression can be run with 93 octane?!? i would like to know if ill blow my motor up on startup

maybe randy could jump in or carl?

Last edited by customblackbird; 03-15-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,550
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

D3's, 11:1 and pump gas will only work together with a BIG cam.

If only somebody made a low cost aluminum head that could be used in place of the D3.....
__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts
Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Paul Kane's Avatar
Paul Kane Paul Kane is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,157
Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
If only somebody made a low cost aluminum head that could be used in place of the D3.....
You had to go there, didn'tcha?

Paul
__________________
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

Last edited by Paul Kane; 03-16-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
MauriSSSio MauriSSSio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 751
MauriSSSio Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by customblackbird View Post
Static compression means absolutly nothing bc the engine will never see that, static compression will increase/decrease as dynamic compression changes (if you were to change it). What you want to figure out is dynamic compression. There are many tools on the net that can figure this out for you. However you will need the cam specs and all your motor specs to complete the formula. static compression is the full compression at TDC if the intake valve is closed from the bottom of the stroke. As we all know cam duration will affect the closing time of the valves so essentially it will bleed off compression, depending on the cam compression could just start when the piston has already moved 1/4way up the bore! As the intake valve is still closing the compression will bleed off so your static compression isnt accurate at all! Dynamic compression will NEVER change throughout the engines life unless you change things like cams, stroke, rod size, head gaskets, head chamber size.

My 521 should have 10:817:1 compression STATIC but my dynamic compression is only 8.872:1. This is the number you want to figure out.

heres what i used
http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

My question is that I CAN NOT find any solid information on what is the highest dynamic compression that can be run with 93 octane. I know that alot of things affect this, head material is one, also quench, engine temp, timing etc. Since mine is aluminum heads i should ward off detonation more than you, and i will keep my engine temps down as much as possible.

So the real question is... can ANYONE tell us how much dynamic compression can be run with 93 octane?!? i would like to know if ill blow my motor up on startup

maybe randy could jump in or carl?
according to this site a Dynamic Compression Ratio (DCR) of somewhere between 7.5-8.5 is best for 91octane so it seems your 8.87 is on the higher end of their scale and im sure the aluminum heads and couple extra points in octane help a bit.
http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

other things ive read say that old school all iron engines would be best to stay closer to 8.0 DCR. im far from being a pro though but thats just info ive come across and just parrotting.
Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM
steelcomp steelcomp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Coast, Nipomo 93444
Posts: 193
steelcomp First On Race Day
Default

Static compression is a calculation of volumes, and has nothing to do with valve events. Dynamic compression changes throughout the entire rpm range of the engine, it changes with temps, it changes with lash, it changes with air density...it changes all the time, and that's why they call it "dynamic".
There are 12.5:1 engines that run 93 and are fine, and there are 10:1 engines that can't run 93. Forget about dynamic compression and build the engine with the static in mind. If you're going to run 11:1 on 93, you need to minimize any chance of detonation. Polish chambers, blend piston domes, keep the quench as tight as possible, good ring seal (any oil in the chamber is death when on the edge of detonation) and most of all, good timing and mixture. You should look into a cam grind that will work best with your combination, but preventing detonation when on the edge of your octane rating is going to be more in the prep. and maintenance of the combustion process than anything. You could also drop your compression half a point and not give up anything.
FWIW, I just finished a pump gas 540 (top end) that made over 900 HP on 10.7:1 compression @ 6200rpm. I'm not saying you can do that with iron heads, just illustrating the potential for pump gas if everything is right.
As usual, this is just my opinion. YMMV
__________________
FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Performance Cylinder Head Specialties
Custom Cams to Complete Engines
Retail/Wholesle parts

www.foxwellmotorsports.com
805 350 1159


In the madnenss of this world, know the peace of God!
Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:07 PM
2slow 2slow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,469
2slow Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by customblackbird View Post
Static compression means absolutly nothing bc the engine will never see that, static compression will increase/decrease as dynamic compression changes (if you were to change it). What you want to figure out is dynamic compression. There are many tools on the net that can figure this out for you. However you will need the cam specs and all your motor specs to complete the formula. static compression is the full compression at TDC if the intake valve is closed from the bottom of the stroke. As we all know cam duration will affect the closing time of the valves so essentially it will bleed off compression, depending on the cam compression could just start when the piston has already moved 1/4way up the bore! As the intake valve is still closing the compression will bleed off so your static compression isnt accurate at all! Dynamic compression will NEVER change throughout the engines life unless you change things like cams, stroke, rod size, head gaskets, head chamber size.

My 521 should have 10:817:1 compression STATIC but my dynamic compression is only 8.872:1. This is the number you want to figure out.

heres what i used
http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

My question is that I CAN NOT find any solid information on what is the highest dynamic compression that can be run with 93 octane. I know that alot of things affect this, head material is one, also quench, engine temp, timing etc. Since mine is aluminum heads i should ward off detonation more than you, and i will keep my engine temps down as much as possible.

So the real question is... can ANYONE tell us how much dynamic compression can be run with 93 octane?!? i would like to know if ill blow my motor up on startup

maybe randy could jump in or carl?
How does the dynamic compression change ? plus how does dymamic change static compression ?

Last edited by 2slow; 03-15-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
MauriSSSio MauriSSSio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 751
MauriSSSio Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
How does the dynamic compression change ? plus how does dymamic change static compression ?
cam duration/timing.
dynamic compression doesnt change static compression but calculating it gives you a better picture of your engines characteristics.
Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
crittersf1's Avatar
crittersf1 crittersf1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: newport NC
Posts: 4,420
crittersf1 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Default

Here we go again!
__________________
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
White Lightning's Avatar
White Lightning White Lightning is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,820
White Lightning First On Race Day
Default

Well, I don't know about any one else but that explains it pretty clearly for me....
Rob
__________________
Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
D Pope's Avatar
D Pope D Pope is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sask Canada
Posts: 645
D Pope First On Race Day
Default

A local character runs a 460 Bronco on the strip. I'm not sure what his compression ratio is but he said he couldn't run pump gas or he got into serious preignition problems. He then put on an MSD ignition box and that cured it with no other changes. I've never tried it but has anybody else found this?
Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM
2slow 2slow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,469
2slow Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSSio View Post
cam duration/timing.
dynamic compression doesnt change static compression but calculating it gives you a better picture of your engines characteristics.
Thanks , but I know that , static and dynamic doesnt change , they are fix to a given build .. only thing that can change is . ......leave that up to the bird for the answer

Last edited by 2slow; 03-15-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Paul Lovett Paul Lovett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 198
Paul Lovett Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
If only somebody made a low cost aluminum head that could be used in place of the D3.....
I don't believe changing to an aluminum head really changes the octane requirement. I believe that is an old wive's tale that's been told for decades. I'll listen to an opposing view though. I've been wrong before.

paulie

Last edited by Paul Lovett; 03-15-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: messed up quote
Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Paul Lovett Paul Lovett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 198
Paul Lovett Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
If only somebody made a low cost aluminum head that could be used in place of the D3.....
Or are you talking about the chamber design of the low cost aluminum head, rather than the fact that it is made of aluminum?

paulie
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.