1998 f150 4.6 to 460 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage
Default 1998 f150 4.6 to 460

Let me start by saying that this website has been a great resource for my project as this is one of the few forums with a search feature that actually works. That means that most of my questions have been answered. I am however left with two questions that I am unsure of.

My Truck - 1998 xlt F150 2wd 4.6 -
I am going to use this truck to pull a 5,00lb camper so I am not looking to build it up. Currently I have pulled the old engine and am finishing the bodywork and paint. I have a 1992 460cid efi with an e40d 4speed tranny.

My 2 question so far
1. I bought the rebuilt engine from someone who put in a Melling MTF-3.
Dur.@ .050 204/214 Valve lift .490/.516 Lobe centers 107/117 separation 112.@ .050 204/214 Valve lift .490/.516 Lobe centers 107/117 separation 112
I have done some research and found that it is listed as "not computer compatible"

My question is: I am planning running efi on a stock ecu. Does "not computer compatible" mean that it does not work on efi engines (I can't imagine that), or does it mean that there is not chip available for it.

2. The torque converter in my e40d needs replaced and I am looking to replace it with another stock unit as this not a performance oriented tuck. They offer 600,900 and 1200 rpm stall speed in stock converters. I am leaning toward the 600 as it is the safest bet due to my lack of testing and experience in this application. Does anyone else have any thoughts. I believe that in my application, the 600 and 900 stall speeds would be fine for me and would likely not notice the difference.

Thanks this is my second of, I am sure many other posts. I will post pics as I get a chance to get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

It can be made to work I have seen people install potentiometers inline on the MAP sensors to trick the computers with larger cam, if it is a MAF computer then you should have no issues.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 PM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

thanks - I am looking for some computer tuning options - do you think that would solve the issue?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 PM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

Well I have finally got some time to post some of my progress on my build, I have taken a few pics along the way as this is my first real "build" of this kind. I am learning a lot hope to get this thing done before Febuary. I am going to spend the next couple of days loading in my pics and explaining what I have done. Please feel free to offer suggestions.

Here are some pics of the truck and the bodywork that needed done first.

Small Garage but it will work

I didn't take a pickof it but as with most Ford f150s of this era, both rocker panels were shot

Last edited by c-152; 10-30-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 AM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

Before I got into the bodywork, I wanted to get the engine out to see what I was working with and take some measurements.

The old wire harness takes up a lot of room but I decided to work around it until I start in on the electrical ( a long time from now) and install the 460 ecu as I want to do that together. I know I am going to need to keep some of that harness and ecu to run a few things. I do not what to get ahead of myself with the wiring
Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

The following pics are of my bodywork and new paint. I wanted to spend more time on it but it was the end of September in Ohio and I knew I was running out of good Ohio weather. I can not wait until spring because my wife and I are going to have our second child at the end of Febuary so this has to be done! The only source of heat in my garage is a nice woodburner but woodburners and a sprayed paint do not mix! As with most things on this build, I have done some bodywork and some painting before, but this is the first whole car for me. I am glad I get to practice on an old truck.

This is pre paint - I took the car out and cleaned it a final time. I rebuilt the rockers and cab corner with fiberglass. It was cheaper than replacement steel and will not rust again!

Not a good pic but this is the best I got after the seal, color and clear was applied. Notice the striping on the hood, it wierdly is not as visable in person but you can tell that I am an beginner painter. I overlaped 50% like you are supposed to but research I have done indicated that I didnt have the correct airpressure. The rest of the truck does not have this so when I do this again on another car, I am going to take the hood off and paint it vertically.

It only cost about 25$ to turn my garage into a booth. I simply puchased 1 mill plastic and stapled it up, then I purchased a furnace filter that I placed on one end of the garage and placed a fan on the other end facing the open mandoor. I did learn one important lesson from this. Cleacoat does not play well with fans. I was in the middle of painting; I blinked and noticed my eyelashes kind of stuck together! I then noticed that I could not see my workbench. I realized my fan locked up. Long story short, I owe my daughter a new fan as I had to steal hers!

Last edited by c-152; 10-30-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 AM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

This post will bring me up to date.

I am now in the process of mock-up

This is a rough cut hole I had to make in the firewall. My e40d did not sit far enough back. I only needed about an inch and the BFH wasn't enough. As soon as the measurements taken for my motor mounts and trans brace I am going to clean that up and make a plate for it.

Not the best pic. I have to get it placed exactly where I want it yet before taking measurements.

I was suprised that the motormounts came this close! This is a pick of the dr side stand off. I took the standoffs out but now I think I might be able to use them with some modification. I am thinking maybe a flat peace of steal on the motor holding a piece of sqaure bar (reinfoced on the sides by plate steel) with tude steal holding a polyurethaine bushing that bolts into the standoff. If I do this, I might need to reinforce the standoff. Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM

ITSA 91 First On Race Day

I'd turn the standoff around so you could put the bolt in from the front.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

The only problem with that is that standoff is bolted by 3 bold that wouldn't line up. I can get to it okay from the back - I could to that on the other side more easily
Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 AM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

Sat the motor down on a block of wood in the truck. That gave me the oportunity to clearence the throttle body. WOW, I didnt realize how tall that thing was. I needed 10 1/4" and only had 9" under the wiper box.

Well the good news is that is fits now! The bad news is I can't drive in the rain! Actually I can fit some spacers in and raise the wiper assembly enough to make it work. Checked that before I did any cutting. I am going to need to do a little more cutting to make this all work but it at least sits in there.

Last edited by c-152; 11-04-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

It has been a while since I have updated this forum because not much has been accomplished on my truck since November. My original plan was to have the truck completed before the end of February as my wife was due to give birth. Our new daughter however, had her own plans and arrived WAY to early. She is doing well now. Obviously the last several months have meant the truck has been an afterthought. I have, however been able to complete a few things with my fathers help. We used/modified the existing standoffs and made an adapter for the stock bbf motor mounts. They are not complete however the are undergoing the finishing touches and I will post pics of them whenever time allows.

I have most of the parts I need to complete the project, I have a 10.25 ls 3.55 rear end, new Biltstiens hd shocks, new radiator, etc. Most of this stuff will be bolt in and go on with only minor modification.

I have yet to order an ecu for the truck as I am still researching possibilities. My motor has a Melling mf3 mild torque cam that is "non computer compatible" so I have to deal with that but I believe that since it is a 95, I can get a chip burned for a stock ecu. I could also go the megasquirt route which would make it more tunable however since I am running an e4od trans I need to control that. I could do that with a gpio board but that might be over my pay grade (my father is a computer programmer so he might be able to help me with that). I have also contacted Bauman about their trans controller but that might bust my budget.

I was hoping someone on this sight might be able to help provide some information to see if I am missing any possible angle for running the efi and trans. I was thinking some of the drag race guys on here might have a different angle or approach.
And "scrap the e40d for a c6 and run a Carb is not the route I want to go" - I have heard that before. For this build, I want efi and the e4od.

For now my priorities are elsewhere but as things settle down around my house, I plan to get back into this truck to get it finished. I need to get it done but want to get it done correctly and am still wanting to put the time into it to make it a solid, reliable and unique truck that can haul a 5,000 - 6,000lb camper @ 75mph anywhere.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM

stengun Driving a Ford

Howdy,

Cool thread!

I have a '97 F-150XLT flareside std. cab V-6/5-speed and after 354,000 miles the engine has played out and it's time to do something different.

I've been thinking about either a 351/5.8 swap or a 460 swap but I wasn't sure if a 460/E4OD would fit and now I see that it will.

I can get a rebuildable 460 for $100.00 and a usable E4OD for under $150.00 at the local Pick-N-Pull so all I need to do now is to get dirty.

I'm going to build more of a muscle truck since I have a 2010 Dodge Ram QC Big Horn Edition w/ a Hemi and HD tow package for towing and truck stuff.

Thanks for the info and keep posting updates.

I hope the new baby is doing fine too.

Paul
Factory Five Racing Spyder GT 4859GT 414W, Tremec TKO 5spd. IRS w/3.55 and Torsen diff. 13" dual-piston front & 12" rear disc brakes. 03 Cobra wheels, 275/40 & 315/35 tires. Possibly the only person in the world that is currently building a FFR Spyder GT.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-28-2012, 08:19 AM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

That sounds like a fun truck build. It does take some cutting and work with a bfh to get it in there but it fits! The e4od requires moving the trans brace back a little which may require some fab work. If it wasn't for the fact that I was using this as a puller that I will be sharing driving responsibilities with my wife, I would have looked into a c6 or zf trans. Those are not options for my application and what I want out of the truck. Once. The motor mounts are complete I will post pics and then move to finishing the trans brace. For now, I get to it when time and priorities allow.

Thanks and good luck on your build.

Baby is doing well we are hopefully going to take her home soon.That sounds like a fun truck build. It does take some cutting and work with a bfh to get it in there but it fits! The e4od requires moving the trans brace back a little which may require some fab work. If it wasn't for the fact that I was using this as a puller that I will be sharing driving responsibilities with my wife, I would have looked into a c6 or zf trans. Those are not options for my application and what I want out of the truck. Once. The motor mounts are complete I will post pics and then move to finishing the trans brace. For now, I get to it when time and priorities allow.

Thanks and good luck on your build.

Baby is doing well we are hopefully going to take her home soon.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM

stengun Driving a Ford

Howdy C-152,

The cutting, fabing, and BFH is no problem.

I'm currently build a Factory Five Racing Spyder GT with a highly modified frame that required a lot of cutting and welding. I'm in the process of making all the aluminum panels from .0708" flat sheets. Here's a link to my build thread........

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/41-ffr-...ml#post2579367

Paul
Factory Five Racing Spyder GT 4859GT 414W, Tremec TKO 5spd. IRS w/3.55 and Torsen diff. 13" dual-piston front & 12" rear disc brakes. 03 Cobra wheels, 275/40 & 315/35 tires. Possibly the only person in the world that is currently building a FFR Spyder GT.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 AM

c-152 First On Race Day
Garage

Wow, that's nice work!

Are you planning on running efi - any thoughts on your settup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.