Big bore small cu inch?? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 PM

prosandguy Driving a Ford
Default Big bore small cu inch??

I'm totally kicking this around, no firm plans yet, but more wondering than anything else. My buddy has a 429, I believe its .060 over that I'm interested in building. My thought is, a set of out of the box TFS A heads or something similar, that way if I build a bigger cu inch motor later on down the road, my heads can "grow" with me so to speak. I know there is no replacement for displacement, but at this point I can afford to put this deal together and start saving for a bigger cube shortblock in the future.
Please give me any input you might have, the motor will be going in a tube frame altered, backed by a powerglide if you need more info, weight with the bbf figured around 1600lbs.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM

crittersf1 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1

If I'm not mistaken, that's an awfully small bore for those heads.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM

Mark Laczo Driving a Ford
Default Head vs bore size

I think I read on here that with the smaller 2.30" Intake valve on an Ahead you can get away with a .030" overbore. That said you should be good to go with your .060" overbore but you will need a custom piston if you stay with the 3.59" crank. If you go with a 4.3" or 4.5" crank there may be a .060" over shelf piston availible. Once you move up to a 2.35" Intake valve I think you need a minimum 4.50" bore to clear.

Maybe one of the experts will chime in here to either confirm or correct this data.

FWIW Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosandguy View Post
My buddy has a 429, I believe its .060 over that I'm interested in building. My thought is, a set of out of the box TFS A heads or something similar, that way if I build a bigger cu inch motor later on down the road, my heads can "grow" with me so to speak...the motor will be going in a tube frame altered, backed by a powerglide if you need more info, weight with the bbf figured around 1600lbs.
That 1600-pound altered would go like a bat out of hell if built correctly.

It is suggested that A460 cylinder heads be used on a boresize of 4.44" or larger, but yes they can be fit a 4.42" bore with some simple effort.

The bigger problem I see is the need for a very custom 429 piston in order to give you a reasonable compression ratio (c/r). It would take a 20cc dome just to get you to 12:1 if you have a 3.59" stroke and A460 heads. (Going blown alcohol? Then 429 Flat tops will put c/r at 9.4:1.)

I would suggest you go to a 3.85" stroke 460 crank since it will dramatically increase your piston options, lighten the piston, etc. A 14.5cc Diamond dome-top would get you that 12:1 c/r, which is half the dome volume requirement of the 429 piston...if Diamond can put the pin low enough in the slug. (Going blown alcohol? Then 460 Flat tops will put c/r at 10:1.)

As this is fun build I would suggest a factory 3Y crank and aluminum rods. The 3Y crank should balance as an internal balance set up with the aluminum rods; also it will not be necessary to drill out so much material from the counterweights.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Kane; 06-27-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Lem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue Path

I've ran the A460 heads on a 4.375" bore [+.015"] . Bigger the bore the better in this case.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Filucky Driving a Ford

If it's already .060 over take it to .080 since you need custom pistons for the A460 heads anyways. I've ran a 514 and a 557 (.080 over) with A460 heads and it worked great.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 AM

DaveMcLain Driving a Ford

That was an interesting build that I did several years ago as a test engine. Mike from Extreme Machine hired me to build that 557 just to demonstrate what their cylinder heads could do on a very straightforward engine build that anyone could duplicate without much trouble.

The engine ran very well but it's somewhat dated. At the time inexpensive steel forgings were not available for the big Ford so I used the Scat cast crank. A steel crank would be easier to balance and more durable.

Also on that build I used an off the shelf JE piston and then modified it to work with the EX head's A 460 style valve relief. Pistons could be ordered with the correct reliefs already in them for no a whole lot more money.

This engine lasted through my dyno testing, some track testing we did in Wes' roadster and about 75 passes in a dragster. It was taken down by the crank breaking in the back rod throw. This ruined the block and some pistons but it didn't do any serious damage to the cylinder heads, valvetrain, cam etc.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive

Last edited by DaveMcLain; 08-17-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.