Ford Stroker Rods - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Jon Kaase Racing Engines

Jon Kaase Racing Engines Jon Kaase is considered one of the best minds in the world of Big Block Fords and has created many parts to help enthusiasts with their 460 based projects. Gentlemen start your questions…
Photobucket

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 PM

jamesandrewjohnson First On Race Day
Default Ford Stroker Rods

I got a question for Mr. Kaase. I suppose anyone could answer but not many people would know better than Jon Kaase about big block Fords. Why do 429/460 stroker cranks use Chevy rods and why do the 6.7-6.8" rods available only come with 2.2" Chevy journals? I don't really want to have Chevy anything in my engine, although more so than that it seems the 2.5" journal would be stronger, anyway. Are the 2.5" big ends really too big to clear the walls? Thanks for the answer in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 PM

boats2 Driving a Ford

Actually I know of several reasons, #1 is a smaller crank throw has a lower bearing speed as the distance arround the crank is shorter, #2 is the 2.2 is just a more common size with a lot more bearing selection available, and the more compact the big end of the rod is the more room in the crank case or actually block to clear things like the pistons, bottom of the cylinder bore and camshaft. The one thing I dont like is that most of the 6.7 and 6.8 rods have the bbc off set. Its unnessary for the Ford.

Last edited by boats2; 07-30-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: type error
Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 AM

Well thanks for the info. I figured as much about the 2.5" and clearance, although it still seems that the 2.5" would be stronger but I guess I got to go with what's available.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandrewjohnson View Post
Why do 429/460 stroker cranks use Chevy rods and why do the 6.7-6.8" rods available only come with 2.2" Chevy journals? I don't really want to have Chevy anything in my engine,
The use of the 2.200" rod journal has absolutely zero to do with being a chevy, and you don't need to have anything chevy in your engine if that really bothers you for some reason.

The original reason for using the 2.200" rod journal comes from the old days when creating a stroker crankshaft for the Ford 460 meant taking the OEM 460 crank and offset stroking the rod journals. Simply put, offset stroking the rod journals dictates that the journal diameter be smaller...but the Ford crankshaft is still a Ford crankshaft through-and-through.

Choosing a journal diameter is held to readily available rod bearing options, and this may be most anything that is smaller than the OEM Ford's 2.500" journal, such as using bearings available for the big block Mopar (2.375"), using bearings that could be used in the big block chevy (2.200"), using bearings that could be used in the small block chevy (2.100"), a Pontiac (2.250"), a Ford 6-cylinder (2.122"), and so forth. People have used even smaller bearings from a Honda. Anything goes, this is custom hot rodding.

Ford 460 enthusiasts are very fortunate to have a 2.500" rod journal which alows us to set journal diameter pretty much wherever we want it, more than other enthusiasts dedicated to most any other V8 engine manufacturer.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Kane; 07-31-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Yeah, it would probably be better to use the 2.2" anyway. Although the reason I'm hesitant to use them is that my dad, an ASE certified master mechanic, said he's seen a few offset ground 460 cranks crack after being used with the 2.2" journal. I think this probably would have something to do with it being a cast factory crank, but it scared me away from the Chevy journals.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

Quote:
...my dad...said he's seen a few offset ground 460 cranks crack after being used with the 2.2" journal.
There are a good number of people who feel that the 4.14" offset stroked OEM 460 crankshaft is superior in overall strength to the Scat cast steel crankshaft of the same dimensions. I myself have a preference for the 460 crankshaft. I am aware of OEM Ford crankshafts, with 2.200" rod journals, that ran regulary at 9000+ rpm and occassional blipped past 10,000 rpm. I also know people who have used stock stroke 460 crankshafts in engines that pushed the cars past 180 mph in the quarter-mile (one of those people is doing this today); think about how much horsepower that requires and ask yourself if you'd trust a cast Scat crank in such an application.

Paul
Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM

hotrod429hemi First On Race Day
Default 460 cranks

Quote:
Yeah, it would probably be better to use the 2.2" anyway. Although the reason I'm hesitant to use them is that my dad, an ASE certified master mechanic, said he's seen a few offset ground 460 cranks crack after being used with the 2.2" journal. I think this probably would have something to do with it being a cast factory crank, but it scared me away from the Chevy journals.

I was told that the Ford Cranks are Nodular Iron and non twisted and much stronger than most Steel Cranks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.