Project 12.99 LTD finally... - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 PM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,149
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Talking Project 12.99 LTD finally...

Well after selling off 3 engines I have built for this car I am finally going to install a big block in her.

I had a 70K mile unmolested C9 lincoln 460 which was essentially a good runner with no bore wear or inappropriate wear anywhere excepting the timing set which still had the nylon teeth on the cam gear. Decided to build an engine with parts lying around the shop so here is what I have"

Block decked .012" to set pistons .002 out of the bore

Stock C9 pistons with 11 cc dish. Will notch for large valves.

Reringed and a quick hone to freshen the straight cylinder bores.

Polished crank and select fit .001" clevite bearings

Paul Kane modded std volume oil pump.

Voodoo cam 219/227 on a 110 with mid 500" s lift ground with 4 degrees advance. Installed 1 degree advanced to 105 ICL. (Cam and lifter set free courtesy of my cam grinder.)

1.8 ratio comp high teck stainless roller rockers for .560" / .582" final lift

RPM intake gasket matched to felpro std gasket.

Edelbrock large chamber heads fully ported concentrating on good flow under .600" lift, decked .060" and .030" off of the intake side. 10.1 to 1 final C/R with an 8.8 to 1 DCR. (Thank you for the good deal Dave Ohagin) 330/233 cfm @ .600" lift. Squish grooves.

Holley 750 reworked by bobby at competition carbs. choke tower removed, rear metering block added, emulsion circuits reworked, air bleeds set up for this combo, quick change vac sec dashpot cover. Flows 820 cfm with down leg boosters that have been massaged and have a shear ledge.
.
Summit high volume mechanical fuel pump. Vehicle has 3/8" fuel lines and a 5/16" return

Dual snorkle 5.0 HO aircleaner with K&N filter ducted to cool air on sides of radiator.

Headers TBD either 6126 hookers or FPA headers.

3" X pipe and magnaflows with 2.5" tail pipes

B&M holeshot 2400 stall convertor purchased from a forum member thank you Andy M!!! Killer deal.
3.25 or 3.5 gears with trak loc. Already have 2.75 trak loc 9" now just need to change gears.

With a full iron 400 and a/c she weighed 4320 pounds. Should come in at around 4150 with all a/c removed and the aluminum heads, intake and water pump on the 460.

I am going to conservatively estimate HP at 460 and torque at 510.

I may change the cam to an EX solid flat tappet 230/236 @ .050 .584" / .600" lift ground again on a 110 because of the 1.8 rockers. would be 109 with std rockers.

The idea as the name states is to run 12.99 at about 105+ mph. Traction will be a huge problem I know...




Attached Images
File Type: jpg SideFrontWLDrivers.jpg (97.3 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 LTD Engine Bay Covers.jpg (95.2 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00085-20110803-1700.jpg (90.7 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00084-20110803-1659.jpg (92.9 KB, 479 views)
__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP

Last edited by The Mad Porter; 08-03-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 PM
hookin78's Avatar
hookin78 hookin78 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hillsboro, Ohio
Posts: 516
hookin78 First On Race Day
Default

very nice.... clean car. at least once are you going to drive around with a cane and a purple pimp hat ??

Just kiddin....... should be a nice sleeper.

Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 AM
mudbogtom's Avatar
mudbogtom mudbogtom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,974
mudbogtom Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
Well after selling off 3 engines I have built for this car I am finally going to install a big block in her.

I had a 70K mile unmolested C9 lincoln 460 which was essentially a good runner with no bore wear or inappropriate wear anywhere excepting the timing set which still had the nylon teeth on the cam gear. Decided to build an engine with parts lying around the shop so here is what I have"

Block decked .012" to set pistons .002 out of the bore

Stock C9 pistons with 11 cc dish. Will notch for large valves.

Reringed and a quick hone to freshen the straight cylinder bores.

Polished crank and select fit .001" clevite bearings

Paul Kane modded std volume oil pump.

Voodoo cam 219/227 on a 110 with mid 500" s lift ground with 4 degrees advance. Installed 1 degree advanced to 105 ICL. (Cam and lifter set free courtesy of my cam grinder.)

1.8 ratio comp high teck stainless roller rockers for .560" / .582" final lift

RPM intake gasket matched to felpro std gasket.

Edelbrock large chamber heads fully ported concentrating on good flow under .600" lift, decked .060" and .030" off of the intake side. 10.1 to 1 final C/R with an 8.8 to 1 DCR. (Thank you for the good deal Dave Ohagin) 330/233 cfm @ .600" lift. Squish grooves.

Holley 750 reworked by bobby at competition carbs. choke tower removed, rear metering block added, emulsion circuits reworked, air bleeds set up for this combo, quick change vac sec dashpot cover. Flows 820 cfm with down leg boosters that have been massaged and have a shear ledge.
.
Summit high volume mechanical fuel pump. Vehicle has 3/8" fuel lines and a 5/16" return

Dual snorkle 5.0 HO aircleaner with K&N filter ducted to cool air on sides of radiator.

Headers TBD either 6126 hookers or FPA headers.

3" X pipe and magnaflows with 2.5" tail pipes

B&M holeshot 2400 stall convertor purchased from a forum member thank you Andy M!!! Killer deal.
3.25 or 3.5 gears with trak loc. Already have 2.75 trak loc 9" now just need to change gears.

With a full iron 400 and a/c she weighed 4320 pounds. Should come in at around 4150 with all a/c removed and the aluminum heads, intake and water pump on the 460.

I am going to conservatively estimate HP at 460 and torque at 510.

I may change the cam to an EX solid flat tappet 230/236 @ .050 .584" / .600" lift ground again on a 110 because of the 1.8 rockers. would be 109 with std rockers.

The idea as the name states is to run 12.99 at about 105+ mph. Traction will be a huge problem I know...




If you meet these goals, both Carl and I will be extremely happy, but I will need some safety equipment... ZephyrBob... not so happy. The Hooker 6126s will be cake if you have the time to fab up a trans crossmember... no big deal really, as I did it, without major issues. No cutting the $$$ Hookers.
__________________
Soon to be powered by...
www.carsbycarl.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 AM
mxb mxb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 131
mxb First On Race Day
Default ltd times

it'll run faster than that with a decent gear.3;73 or up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 AM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,149
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookin78 View Post
very nice.... clean car. at least once are you going to drive around with a cane and a purple pimp hat ??

Just kiddin....... should be a nice sleeper.

Brandon
Lol wise a$$.. It is supposed to be a streets of san francisco detective clone or hawaii 5 0 detective car.

Already done the pimp thing my brotha......


__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,549
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

Should be a fun driver no matter what number it runs.

__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 08-04-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 PM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,149
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Cool

I have decided to pull the voodoo hydraulic cam and install an Extreem energy solid.

230 intake / 236 exhaust 110 LSA +4
.587" lift intake
.603" lift exhaust

Power band will be similar but the solid will add additional power and torque plus better RPM capability to utilise the ported heads and intake tract flow.

Carl I agree regardless of track times it will be fun. The tweeked 400 would go sideways from a dead stomp.




.
__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Dirtybird545 Dirtybird545 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dover,n.h.
Posts: 377
Dirtybird545 Driving a Ford
Default

Scotty I think you're my new personal hero!LOL
I had a 74 LTD with a 460 and always wanted to attempt what you're doing.Mines been gone for 26yrs and I still miss it.
Good luck and keep us posted,
Russ
P.S.,
Let us know if you need any advice breaking in that new cam....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,549
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
I have decided to pull the voodoo hydraulic cam and install an Extreem energy solid.

230 intake / 236 exhaust 110 LSA +4
.587" lift intake
.603" lift exhaust

Power band will be similar but the solid will add additional power and torque plus better RPM capability to utilise the ported heads and intake tract flow.

Carl I agree regardless of track times it will be fun. The tweeked 400 would go sideways from a dead stomp.




.
Awwwwww, come on. Wouldn't you rather run the number with a smooth idling "peanut cam"?

Given the converter and gear, more cam might actually make it slower.
__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,149
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
Awwwwww, come on. Wouldn't you rather run the number with a smooth idling "peanut cam"?

Given the converter and gear, more cam might actually make it slower.
Given the need to increase duration to compensate from going to solid from juice the cam really is not that much larger.

The 224/230 xs262 s has almost identical opening and closing events at .015 and .050" lifter rise.

I'm just looking for comparable opening and closing events but with a solid flat tappet which will make more power in the same operating range.

The slightly smaller cam might be the better ticket. I will have to think on this for a bit.


__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 08-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Mark Miller Mark Miller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,642
Mark Miller Driving a Ford
Default

Scotty,i think a 12.99 in the 1/4 mile shouldn't be a problem with that combo with a 3.50 gear.I ran a 13.26 at 100 mph with a 4,420 lb. with driver 1978 LTDII,466,Dove-C Heads,Weiand Steath Intake,850 Holley DP,Lunati Cam .554-.554 lift 230-230 duration at 0.50,Hooker 6126 Headers,C-4 TCI 10" converter,3.70 gears,M-H Sticky tires,3" exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers.The 13.26 at 100 mph pass was thru the mufflers on the M-H tires.

Later Mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 PM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,149
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Cool

Its funny how things work out sometimes. I was going to utilise the eddy heads because I had them there at the shop having gotten them for a good price. Not my first choice but never the less I have them flowing 340 cfm @ .600 lift.

I sold them today to a client that wanted them for his own project and they are a perfect fit for him. I managed to get enough out of them to buy a pair of SCJ-A heads from lem so the recipe is going to change a bit. Thank god I have not decked them yet.

I will now be using the SCJ heads instead. I will notch the pistons to accomodate the different valve locations and add enough volume to get a final static c/r of 10.5 to 1. Given the highly efficient nature of the scj chambers I feel that this will actuall be of benefit as the cross section of the eddy heads and the SCJ's are very similar. I can port the scj's to flow 370 at .560" lift with little more than some tweeking at the short turn walls. IMHO a much better cylinder head that will out power and out torque the eddy heads any day of the week.

Still debating a cam change to a commensurate solid flat tappet with very similar timing events to the cam I have outlined originally. Looking to build a fun driver that has some real balls but appears subtle until you hit the loud pedal.

I now have a set of heads that will support a stroker if needed at some time in the future but are also a good fit for what I am doing now.





S
__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 PM
tfsbbf466 tfsbbf466 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in the streets
Posts: 160
tfsbbf466 Driving a Ford
Default

I went a best of 12.04 with consistent 12.1s with ported D0VEs, 3000 converter, XE284H cam, 3.70s, 1 7/8 with full 3" exhaust, mismatched victor, and a 850dp. The truck weighed 4150 at the time. Its now in my dads 95 F150 with a stealth, 750dp, 3.55s power everything, cold a/c and has been 12.51. His truck weights 42-4300lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 PM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,149
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Cool

As long as she will break into the 12's in stealth mode I will be more than happy...

The power will be there it is going to be more a matter of hooking it up...

I want to be very stealthy and then unleash the beast.


__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 08-06-2011, 03:13 PM
cletus66's Avatar
cletus66 cletus66 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charles City, Virginia
Posts: 2,713
cletus66 Driving a Ford
Default

Cool project. Keep us posted.
__________________
Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.