How "tough" is the 460? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 PM

bigoltruck First On Race Day
Default How "tough" is the 460?

Just wondering how good of an engine it is? First one ive ever owned, ive had quite a few Ford trucks, but they all had the 300, or the 351....and one 400...but anyways...

Are they pretty durable? Do they compare to the 351? I dont expect them to compare to the 300....

Im just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 AM

turbo2256b First On Race Day

Very strong 2 bolt main block is stronger than a 4 bolt BBC
Old 10-04-2011, 01:12 AM

429TORQ First On Race Day

Let's see... when I tore down my 460 for the first time at 230k miles 5 of the bores were still standard at the bottom, the worst one was 2 thou over at the top, no more than 2 thou taper in all the cylinders. The entire engine was still good and within spec including the valve seats and guides. It just had a couple worn piston skirts and bearings/rings. They are comparable to a 351w in general terms of durability. Watch some of the old "cash for clunkers" engine blow ups on youtube... most engines die within 20 seconds or so but I saw a fuelie 460 go almost 7 minutes before it died. Give you an idea?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM

That makes me feel better then, i was kinda worried, always am when i venture into something new

Im not exactly hard on my engines/trucks, but i do use them hard on occasion, just was wondering if the 460 is up to snuff.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Dakota Boy First On Race Day

Paul Kane (a member here) has a website with a pretty interesting comparison between the 460 block and a Chevy block....
Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Hangman First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429TORQ View Post
Watch some of the old "cash for clunkers" engine blow ups on youtube... most engines die within 20 seconds or so but I saw a fuelie 460 go almost 7 minutes before it died.

Those videos make me sick. Some of those vehicles were really nice.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM

deluxetruck Driving a Ford

^^x2. I hate seeing an engine senselessly killed. Unless it involves a power adder and an attempt to find a limit in the name of science. That is cool. Those engines give their lives, that other engines may live under boost, nitrous, what have you. An honorable death indeed.
1977 F250 Highboy, 79 D60/10.25 Sterling w/4:10's, 32 spline NP435, 205, 472", 1410's rear and 1350's front and middle. Daily driver/weekend sled puller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFt89WXH5BM
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoltruck View Post
How "tough" is the 460?
I'd say that compared to other common big block engines of the era it is above average in toughness, reliability, and power capability.

The other big three's common big block engines from the same era have attributes of their own...some of which might be considered by some to be advantageous or superior over certain 429/460 characterisitics, but I feel that the 460's overall engine design makes the most sense and--from a design and engineering standpoint--makes it very adaptable to a wide range of real-world applications (drag, marine, endurance, co-gen, blown, naturally aspirated, etc) for the performance enthusiast.

Paul
Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM

turbo2256b First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
I'd say that compared to other common big block engines of the era it is above average in toughness, reliability, and power capability.

The other big three's common big block engines from the same era have attributes of their own...some of which might be considered by some to be advantageous or superior over certain 429/460 characterisitics, but I feel that the 460's overall engine design makes the most sense and--from a design and engineering standpoint--makes it very adaptable to a wide range of real-world applications (drag, marine, endurance, co-gen, blown, naturally aspirated, etc) for the performance enthusiast.

Paul
I have friends running in offshore endurance events most convert to BBFs because they out last the BBCs. I know of some of the BBC stuff needing tear downs after 50 or so hours.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
Those videos make me sick. Some of those vehicles were really nice.
X3

Total waste...

To stay on topic, 429/460 was designed at a time when Ford needed an engine series that would meet upcoming emisisons requirements, be able to support larger displacements and HP demands as was the trend at the time, be powerful and reliable as was to be used in the Lincoln and other luxury cars, and be a platform to replace the 427 FE in Nascar and drag racing.

That is a tough order and not too many other engine families you can point to and say was designed to meet all those goals from day one. 429/460 is tough, biggest issue is it came at the end of Ford total performance era and lacked the years of performance application and development that the FE had. On top of that by 1973 they had detuned the engines so badly nobody would have ever though it was born to perform. All this delayed aftermarket support and limited intake manifold choice and so forth. To this day some think a 460 is nothing more than a boat anchor...

Steve
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Quote:
Just wondering how good of an engine it is? First one ive ever owned, ive had quite a few Ford trucks, but they all had the 300, or the 351....and one 400...but anyways...

Are they pretty durable? Do they compare to the 351? I dont expect them to compare to the 300....

Im just wondering...
A good friend of mine a had a mild built 351M in his Torino and after years of trying to get it to run I talked him into throwing a 460 in it, long story short a 460 with a timing chain swap and an intake and carb smoked the higher compression... 351M by a full second.

They are durable as hell I would put them right with the 300 inline 6 you have to work hard to kill those things.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Brad Johnson Driving a Ford

If Dad can't kill one it must be tough as nails.

Also, the 300 I6 owes a large chunk of its durability to being seriously understressed. Produced as a low-revving torque monster for industrial and truck applications, a stock 300 will darn near last forever. Build a 300hp I6 and it will be on par, reliability- and longevity-wise, with a 450 HP 460 build.

Brad
Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 AM

So far i really like the 460....ive just heard good and bad things about it, and i was a lil nervous thats all.

later,
Dustin
Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Brad Johnson Driving a Ford

Quote:
So far i really like the 460....ive just heard good and bad things about it, and i was a lil nervous thats all.

later,
Dustin
Solid as a rock as long as you keep don't try anything stupid. The factory 2-bolt block is good to at least 800 HP. The factory bottom end is good for up to 5500 RPM with rods being the limiting factor. The factory crank will easily live to 500 HP with some forum members hitting 600 reliably. The heads, even later model D3's, will support 600 HP with everyday massaging, and some forum members have pushed them well beyond that. There are at least a half-dozen good aftermarket heads, too, including aluminum units that are price-competitive with worked factory cast iron heads. Strokers are where the 429/460 really shines. To stroke a BBC beyond 500 CID requires relatively extensive block clearancing (read "expensive machine work"). Stroking a 460 to over 520 CID requires no mods at all, and 550+ CID only calls for careful block selection for cylinder wall thickness. The crank/rod/piston kits are a simple drop-in. Better yet, the stroker kits are little more than what it would cost to buy parts and prep a factory crank/rod package for a standard .030 rebuild.

A lot of people build strictly for HP but with there's the option of building for monster torque numbers with nothing but carefully selected bolt-on parts and a little basic head work. Using this formula a garden-variety pump gas 521 stroker can easily surpass 550 ft/lb torque without ever seeing the high side of 5500 RPM, and with a torque curve as flat as the Kansas prairie. In a street application that's the kind of torque that will make you grin hard enough to break teeth. That is, presuming you can get the tires to hook.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Johnson; 10-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.