Catalytic converter questions - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Site Sponsors > Magnaflow

Magnaflow Magnaflow

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:48 PM

86f350 Driving a Ford
Default Catalytic converter questions

Wow no one posts in here very much, I hope this forum is still monitored.
What cats would you suggest for a 528" big block in a 6200 lb truck?
I have a non-catalyst 1986 f350 that I'm currently building an E85 big block for. I live in California so my concern is with the smogability of my combo. I understand that N0x emissions are raised significantly by higher compression, so if I increase N0x with 12.5:1 compression, can I run a couple cats to decrease N0x back to near stock "non-catalyst" numbers?
There needs to be more tech on this stuff for us California bbf'ers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM

LockNLoad First On Race Day

California has really gotten jacked up about changing/modifying CCs, here is a link to the CARB site on Executive Orders for cats and other vehicle mods:
Link

This Link will take you to a "pick what vehicle you have" page to search for CARB approved cats, I assume your truck is not stock (528") but this may help in getting you close to what you need, also if you have a lot of visible mods you may have to go through the referee process to get smogged/registered.

Here is a Link to some info about the referee process.

Hope this helps,

2013 Mustang GT, Bama tune, Exhaust modded, Custom rear air diffuser, FRPP 4.10s, welded axle tubes, BMR Drag Race Package (Level 2), BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Weld S71 15X9.25
Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial 315/60R15, JPC Line Lock... more to come
Link to pic of car
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM

86f350 Driving a Ford

Thanks for those links, I'm reading through that first database now. It looks like there is only one aftermarket cat available for use on pre-obd vehicles, but no information about adding cats to non-catalyst vehicles. I guess ill just have to do a visual inspection like you mentioned and hope for the best.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM

LockNLoad First On Race Day

I kinda misunderstood your question, I didn't really understand that you are trying to 'add' cats to a truck that has never had them... your best best is to call and talk to a referee Here's a list of the different collages around California that have referee stations. My thoughts on this are, if you are running E85 and even though you are bumping up the compression you should still be OK smog wise without cats, because E85 is a cleaner burning fuel, shoot if it was me I wouldn't even worry about cats for now I would wait to see if it passes without them, then worse comes to worse and it doesn't pass for NOx then I would just get some high flow cats and throw them on.

I am going to be doing something similar on my '13 Mustang, I'm going to convert my fuel system to be E85 friendly then I'm going to run high flow cats (because I have to have cats), I'm hopping that with the cleaner fuel I will still 'burn' clean out the tailpipe for smog. I'm sure I will have to go to a referee though.

2013 Mustang GT, Bama tune, Exhaust modded, Custom rear air diffuser, FRPP 4.10s, welded axle tubes, BMR Drag Race Package (Level 2), BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Weld S71 15X9.25
Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial 315/60R15, JPC Line Lock... more to come
Link to pic of car

Last edited by LockNLoad; 09-16-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.