460 Ford Forum banner

1986 coupe build.

20K views 70 replies 15 participants last post by  bajarick 
#1 ·
I just thought I would share with you all my current build. 1986 mustang that is mini tubbed tied frame and a 10 point cage. My son and I have been getting it stripped down and are at the point of rebuilding now. More detail photo's to come but here is what we have so far. GOAL 9.50s.. Here in Maryland one of our tracks runs a NINE inch NIGHTMARE class 1/8 mile (.400 pro-tree 6.50 index 9 inch slick with mufflers). Will swap slicks back to 10.5w that are currently on it and run brackets when the N I N class is not running..
Thanks for looking and will get more detail pictures as we go.

Attachments

See less See more
#58 ·
bajarick,
Yes made it to MIR for the ford race. Was a great time my son came home from school just for the race so I let him drive and he went to the finals on Saturday night and lost but that not bad for not racing this season but three times. The car was doing OK with the new tires but was having traction issues and after downloading my videos Sunday night I was destroying the tires at 11.5 pounds of pressure going out one more time and trying 14-15 PSI.. Good luck with your build and if you need a hand with anything I am only few minutes away..

#60 ·
Sounds like your son knows what he's doing :D

I was reading about your tire issues - hope you get that worked out.

When I get mine done, I would like to video a few runs of my car.

Do you ever race at Capitol Raceway in Crofton?

#59 · (Edited)
Windsor,
Not sure what your looking for but here are some spec:
.040 over bore stuffed with ARP studs top and bottom and Kasse oil pump
4.14 eagle crank
6.700 eagle rods
custom pistons from MME (MCKEOWN MOTORSPORT ENGINEERING) engine builder
Eddy head 2.25 int 1.80 exh ported by Mad porter (these have a lot of work done to them)
can not remember the exact cam specs
.670's-.680's lift and duration is in 280 range solid flat tapper
compression is 13.5 to 1
Started out running ALKY carb 6.00's in the 1/8 and 9.40's 1/4 then went to Mechanical fuel injection 5.83 best 1/8 and 9.20's 1/4 (rons terminator) I have had to do a ton of suspension tuning to get to this point so it was not all in the switch from carb to injection and I am still having a little issue with chattering the tires after last weekend at the ford race it appears I need more tire pressure because I was crushing the tires wadding them up. Going to the track first weekend in NOV and trying 14-15 PSI instead of 11.5-12. hope that will get me straight.
Hoping to get it painted for next season I dont want anything special just Hot Rod black and red pin strip along the cowl hood..
Thanks for looking
Chris (TOPHER)

#63 ·
1/8 Mile Track

That's cool about knowing the owner - whats that 1/8 mile stuff about?

I used to race the Stang there back in '98-'99.

I like 1/4 mile drags - but I guess if they feel you are running too fast, the shorter track will slow things down :(

#64 ·
DEAD 460.. LONG READ

Well it brings me great sadness that I broke my engine this weekend at Richmond drag way $10,000 collision one race. guess its all for the best I bought the short block used with unknown runs with nitrous on it. Had everything check and assembled by MME motorsports. I have put about 200+ runs on since 2012. I launched on my second time run of the day .001 reaction time pulled the front wheels up and at about 40' she fell back to the ground pulled over to the wall in natural and heard some clanking, thought I broke the rear or drive shaft looked under the rear nothing looked up front and saw a small puddle of oil coming from the Damper area looked at my father walking up the track with my alternator belt and mechanical fuel pump belt. I can move the snout of the crank about 1/4-1/2 inch but it will not pull out.. Time for new rebuild. I am just hoping that I did not destroy the block or heads. Combo was 4.140 cast stroke eagle crank 6.700 eagle H beam rods and .040 pistons with MAD PORTER EDDY heads and rons terminator system and flat tapped cam.. Will rebuild with stronger crank and rod and save it for my T-Bird build. Will be putting my old 492ci BBF in the stang for next year once it checked/cleaned. 3.970 offeset stroked crank, chrysler 440 rods custom pistons and put the EDDY heads and terminator on it for next year and the cam is smaller for hopefully milder 650-700 HP combo with new 3.73 gears to calm it down on the hit.
Thanks Chris

#66 ·
We have always used the 6.800 rods with our 4.140 stroke engines. Usually get three seasons out of the offset ground cast cranks before spider webbing appears on the journals. Recently switched to an Ohio Crankshaft steel unit so we will see how well it holds up.

#67 ·
Dead 460 update

Thanks ShadowMaster for the info. My fault that I did not have the crank checked when I pulled the bottom end apart to fix oil pressure issue. Any way I pulled the top end apart on the 504 and heads look good no valves touched the pistons so I can put the top end on my 492. I scored an awesome deal on an brand new aftermarket cast crank for my 492 that I will have offset ground to 3.97 to fit a chrylser 440 rod. This is my old reliable engine its kinda a different combo but has been a good one for me so that will go back in the mustang for next year.
The 504 will get a scat steal crank 4.140 stroke and the 6.800 rods with new L19 rod bolts and .700 lift roller cam BlueThunder heads and Hat fuel injection that will go in my T-bird build.
Thanks and hope will post pic of the T-Bird progress later

#68 · (Edited)
Thanks ShadowMaster for the info. My fault that I did not have the crank checked when I pulled the bottom end apart to fix oil pressure issue. Any way I pulled the top end apart on the 504 and heads look good no valves touched the pistons so I can put the top end on my 492. I scored an awesome deal on an brand new aftermarket cast crank for my 492 that I will have offset ground to 3.97 to fit a chrylser 440 rod. This is my old reliable engine its kinda a different combo but has been a good one for me so that will go back in the mustang for next year.
The 504 will get a scat steal crank 4.140 stroke and the 6.800 rods with new L19 rod bolts and .700 lift roller cam BlueThunder heads and Hat fuel injection that will go in my T-bird build.
Thanks and hope will post pic of the T-Bird progress later
ToPher,

Dang man - just read about what happened to your moda man - sorry to hear about that.

Why not throw a bigger crank in Dude and shoot for a 557 or something :D?

#70 ·
Rick,
It is coming along slow. just fabbed up the front floors and fire wall. about to install 492 motor so I can mount steering column and want to start routing brake lines. I will get some pictures soon and post them under a new build page.. The 504 is a good street motor (10 to1 compression with a 96cc head). May sell the short block to my nephew this winter and start on a 520-532 for the Tbird.. but will start out with the 492 if I can get my act together an get the car done before the end of the season..

Will get stuff posted soon..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.