Mr.Scharf's 1993 Foxbody Notch - Page 45 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM

butterbean First On Race Day

man thats one nice set of headers, thats a really nice build, I should have posted my junk as I was putting it together but I can't figure out the picture thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
Just out of curiosity how much weight will that save? Two pounds maybe? I can't imagine that it would be that much.

I know when they quit painting the Space Shuttle external fuel tank white it save approximately 600 lbs.
How much does six quarts of ready to spray paint weigh with reducer , hardener , anti fish eye?

Looks great Chris!

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 PM

customblackbird First On Race Day

Looks good! That's a nice looking fox body! I got the same hurst line lock... Works great!

What cooling fans are you running? Year/make and model? U might want to open up the shroud bc since it's a pusher u will get no flow through the rad at over 40mph and will be hard to keep cool at those higher speeds.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Quote:
Just out of curiosity how much weight will that save? Two pounds maybe? I can't imagine that it would be that much.

I know when they quit painting the Space Shuttle external fuel tank white it save approximately 600 lbs.
Every ounce counts! Weight is the enemy!
Rob
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by customblackbird View Post
Looks good! That's a nice looking fox body! I got the same hurst line lock... Works great!

What cooling fans are you running? Year/make and model? U might want to open up the shroud bc since it's a pusher u will get no flow through the rad at over 40mph and will be hard to keep cool at those higher speeds.
Hey thanks!

The fans I have are a Flex-a-Lite unit. I used to have them on my 1974 F100 and they are built for a full size truck, Suburban, Tahoe, etc.

They flow 4600 CFM. For now this is going to be a track only car so it won't see any cruising duty so I'm thinking I'm going to be OK with it as is. We will see...

Here is a link to the fan unit on Summit Racing:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-295/overview/

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 04-08-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Every ounce counts! Weight is the enemy!
Rob
Oh yes. I agree. I just wondered how much that would actually be. A few pounds off here and there add up in the end.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Oh yes. I agree. I just wondered how much that would actually be. A few pounds off here and there add up in the end.
Truthfully I don't know Chris. Maybe a pound??? But yeah, all those single pounds add up. On a platform like mine, there's always the chance for staying with the minimalistic theme, and I'm running with it! lol I hope to be not much more that 1,500 lbs when I'm done.
"Rail Dragsters are an exercise in minimalistic engineering".
Rob
Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Truthfully I don't know Chris. Maybe a pound??? But yeah, all those single pounds add up. On a platform like mine, there's always the chance for staying with the minimalistic theme, and I'm running with it! lol I hope to be not much more that 1,500 lbs when I'm done.
"Rail Dragsters are an exercise in minimalistic engineering".
Rob
Well I guess if you do something like that 100 times that takes care of a tenth!! Now if you can just scrub off those other 7.5 seconds!

Post pic's when you are done. I'd like to see it.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Well it seems that the Billet Specialties rear wheels that I have don't have the correct backspacing. Mine were a 5 1/2 inch backspace and I needed 6 1/2 inches. The rear suspension has settled in nicely and right now with no doors or myself in the car I only have about 1 inch of space between the tire and top part of the wheel well. The tires clearly stick out a bit too far and I can see that they will rub. So instead of trying it anyway (as I would have done when I was 21) I bought new wheels with the correct backspacing so I won't tear anything up trying. My ET street slicks are brand new and I don't want to damage them trying something stupid so the new wheels will go on over the weekend. I'm also going to drill the new wheels so I can screw the wheels to the tires so they don't slip on the rim. I have a pack of Moroso bolts to do this with.

I have the old wheels posted in the auction block if anybody is interested. They obviously have had tires mounted on them but they have never been run on the track or street. I have the price set so I will take a $100 dollar hit when they sell but that is OK because they are brand new. ...just not brand new in the box.

Here is a link to the auction block sale:
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186265
Old 04-11-2014, 05:51 PM

A70Maverick Driving a Ford

I was wondering if you were still alive. Nice to see some progress on here!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Snowballs in spring...

Well unfortunately as with all good intentions there are consequences. So I got my new wheels with the 6 1/2 inches of back spacing and I got the MT slicks and tubes mounted on them. When I went to put them on I discovered that they hit my brake calipers. It's always something.... Thus the snowball begins. So I decided that I could clearance the caliper a bit with my angle grinder. The caliper is from a disk brake conversion kit that used front calipers off of some 1970's big GM car. So the caliper itself was large to begin with. When I first put them on the car I had to clearance them to fit the old wheels. I ended up having to grind off so much to make them work this time that I'm really not comfortable using them now. I don't have a picture of it below. Just pretty much what I started with but the metal across the top of the caliper is a LOT thinner than it was originally. I'm thinking that metal was there for a reason. Taking a little off sure.... But I had to take a whole BUNCH off. I don't want to hit the brakes at the end of the quarter mile at 140++ miles an hour and have one (or both) rear calipers snap at the top. That would make for a bad day at the track.

....so.

I have ordered a Strange rear drag race brake kit that will go on the big Ford axle housing ends I have. I already had Strange front disk brakes up front so this will round out all 4 wheels nicely.

So what do you guys think? Should I have tried the old calipers anyway? They were big heavy cast pieces. Or are the new brakes the way to go? Give me your thoughts about it.

New Billet Specialties Wheel with Moroso bead lock studs installed:

Rear brake caliper before the serious grinding began. I had my welding blanket up in the fenderwell to catch all the crap. I was trying to get away with not having to take the brakeline off and get air in the system. I could also test fit the wheel easily this way.

New Rear Brake Kit at Summit Racing:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-b1708wc/overview/
Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 PM

mp40 Driving a Ford

I think that you're making the right decision by buying the new kit.

Trusting the calipers after the massive grinding that very probably was going to be done to fit the wheels/tires, would be difficult i think.

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM

The snowball continues...

OK. Now that I got the Strange rear disk brake kit I discovered that I have to remove the axle bearings to install my brakes. No really. I'm serious. There is a new axle retention plate that comes with the kit. The new axle retention plate is what will hold the caliper It has to be installed in between the axle flange and the axle bearing. So now I have both axles in my trunk and I'm going to have the bearings pressed off so the plates will go on. Then have the bearings reinstalled. Hopefully I'll know by tomorrow if this fix will work or not. I'm praying that nothing rubs the wheel when I'm done.

Here is a pic of the old caliper before all the grinding.

Here is the old caliper after all the grinding:

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 04-23-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Chris, when you stop and consider the fact that your style of axle not only has to support the weight of the vehicle but it does double duty and supplies a path for all that torque to get to the ground, it needs all the help that it can get. Most santioning groups require (and rightly so) that after certain power levels are achieved that the bearing retainer plates be up dated too. A 9" has non floating axles and there's a chance that they can break, and you want all the engineering you can buy to keep that thing attached to the housing so you can get it stopped.
As far as the caliper goes......NEVER, NEVER try to modify the engineering that has gone into a braking system. A braking system has to deal with thousands of pounds of stresses in a lot of different directions and......well, you made a good decision to change the modified pieces.
Rob
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Chris, when you stop and consider the fact that your style of axle not only has to support the weight of the vehicle but it does double duty and supplies a path for all that torque to get to the ground, it needs all the help that it can get. Most santioning groups require (and rightly so) that after certain power levels are achieved that the bearing retainer plates be up dated too. A 9" has non floating axles and there's a chance that they can break, and you want all the engineering you can buy to keep that thing attached to the housing so you can get it stopped.
As far as the caliper goes......NEVER, NEVER try to modify the engineering that has gone into a braking system. A braking system has to deal with thousands of pounds of stresses in a lot of different directions and......well, you made a good decision to change the modified pieces.
Rob
I agree completely. That is why I stopped and did what I did. I can't wait to try them out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.