New 72 cc Aluminium Heads?? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:54 AM
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
MrScharfenberger MrScharfenberger is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 3,617
MrScharfenberger First On Race Day
Default New 72 cc Aluminium Heads??

I'm trying to help out TrustTheRef. You can read the theread he started "460 Foxbody". He is going to use the stock bottom end out of a 1995 F-350. His goal is 500 HP. He whould like to get the compression in at around 10:1. I have done a little research and it looks like the pistons in that motor are a -24.4 cc dish. Can anybody confirm this for us? He would like a nice set of heads to go on the motor. It looks like if I am correct about the cc of the pistion dish a 72 cc chamber head would bring him in at about 9.7:1 compression (give or take a couple of tenths depending on if the block has been decked or not). I forgot the mention that the bottom end is a rebuilt Jasper motor. Does anybody know of any new aluminium heads with the 72 cc chamber. It looks like most of the Trick Flow's & Edelbrocks are 75 cc. I'd really like him to get the SCJ-B heads from Lem. But I know those take special pistions. I was hoping since he will be using a stock dish pistons with a realatively small cam to make the 500 HP that the SCJ-B heads would work without having to have the special pistons. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Any light you could shed would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 AM
bigblok86ranger's Avatar
bigblok86ranger bigblok86ranger is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beloit , Wisconsin
Posts: 5,174
bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Default

Chris check out Scotty's Project 12.99 build he did something very similar.
__________________
Eric Millard
bigblok86gt@yahoo.com

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 PM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,171
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Cool

The builder pistons in a jasper engine will be about 22 to 24 cc's dish. SCJ's will work with a cam a bit bigger than I used. I have well over .150" piston to valve clearance on the stock 11 cc dished oem 69 pistons. This with a small voodoo 219/227 with 1.8 high tech comp rockers.

With as cast SCJ heads you will need 9.5 to 1 static c/r and a comp XE274H cam to make your 500 HP with 9.5 to 1 static c/r.



__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,570
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
I'm trying to help out TrustTheRef. You can read the theread he started "460 Foxbody". He is going to use the stock bottom end out of a 1995 F-350. His goal is 500 HP. He whould like to get the compression in at around 10:1. I have done a little research and it looks like the pistons in that motor are a -24.4 cc dish. Can anybody confirm this for us? He would like a nice set of heads to go on the motor. It looks like if I am correct about the cc of the pistion dish a 72 cc chamber head would bring him in at about 9.7:1 compression (give or take a couple of tenths depending on if the block has been decked or not). I forgot the mention that the bottom end is a rebuilt Jasper motor. Does anybody know of any new aluminium heads with the 72 cc chamber. It looks like most of the Trick Flow's & Edelbrocks are 75 cc. I'd really like him to get the SCJ-B heads from Lem. But I know those take special pistions. I was hoping since he will be using a stock dish pistons with a realatively small cam to make the 500 HP that the SCJ-B heads would work without having to have the special pistons. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Any light you could shed would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
1995? That's an EFI engine and the pistons should have a 15cc dish.

SCJ-B heads have springs for roller cams. You'll want the SCJ-A version if you plan to use SCJ's.

Lastly, the ONLY aluminum head with stock non-CJ ports in stock locations is the Edelbrock head. What sort of intake and headers does he plan to run?
__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
The Mad Porter's Avatar
The Mad Porter The Mad Porter is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 6,171
The Mad Porter First On Race Day
Default

My bad i misread that as 1985...

Carl is right. IF they are the EFI pistons for that year the dish will be 15 cc's and the pistons will sit about .015" below deck.

Since the combo is a jasper rebuild I would measure the depth of the dish. If the dish is .240" then the cc's are about 24 if the dish is .180 then the dish is 15 cc. Also note the deck height.

A standard performer rpm intake will easily support 500 HP and more though with a fox body a torquer 2 is not a bad choice either.


__________________
Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section

http://R-H-P.biz

"ReinCarNation High Performance" (253)-988-6648


http://www.facebook.com/SMJRHP#!/SMJRHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 PM
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
MrScharfenberger MrScharfenberger is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 3,617
MrScharfenberger First On Race Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
1995? That's an EFI engine and the pistons should have a 15cc dish.

SCJ-B heads have springs for roller cams. You'll want the SCJ-A version if you plan to use SCJ's.

Lastly, the ONLY aluminum head with stock non-CJ ports in stock locations is the Edelbrock head. What sort of intake and headers does he plan to run?
When you say this you are referring to the SCJ-A valve springs on the SCJ-B heads correct? Or were you saying that he needs the SCJ-A head? I'm thinking that you mean the prior but I want to make sure.

He could always get the SCJ-B bare heads and dress them out himself with springs that match the specific cam that he goes with.

With 3 senior members answering this post I feel pretty good about it. The SCJ-B heads seem to be the way to go. Assuming I am correct about the valve spring swap in the above question. They are hard to beat for the low cost and flow some really good numbers right out of the box. AND they are about $1000 less than the TrickFlow's that I've looked at. He should be able hit 500 HP (or a good bit more) blind folded.

Thanks for the great info guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
MrScharfenberger MrScharfenberger is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 3,617
MrScharfenberger First On Race Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
My bad i misread that as 1985...

Carl is right. IF they are the EFI pistons for that year the dish will be 15 cc's and the pistons will sit about .015" below deck.

Since the combo is a jasper rebuild I would measure the depth of the dish. If the dish is .240" then the cc's are about 24 if the dish is .180 then the dish is 15 cc. Also note the deck height.

A standard performer rpm intake will easily support 500 HP and more though with a fox body a torquer 2 is not a bad choice either.


When you say this you mean the top of the pistion to the bottom of the dish right? Not the deck height to the bottom of the dish? I just want to make sure we get this right. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
A70Maverick A70Maverick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: WAY up in the U.P. of M.I.
Posts: 845
A70Maverick Driving a Ford
Default

Aren't the SCJ-As and the SCJ-B the exact same head, the only difference is the A's are flat tappet spring pkg, and the B's are roller springs? That's how I understood it??
__________________
557ci 70 Maverick, 8.82@153 1.22 60ft.... So far....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 PM
DJ5A460's Avatar
DJ5A460 DJ5A460 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Namibia
Posts: 38
DJ5A460 Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A70Maverick View Post
Aren't the SCJ-As and the SCJ-B the exact same head, the only difference is the A's are flat tappet spring pkg, and the B's are roller springs? That's how I understood it??
That's correct.

M-6049-SCJ -> Bare Head
M-6049-SCJA -> Springs for Flat Tappet Cams
M-6049-SCJB -> Springs for Roller Cams
__________________
Age doesn't always bring wisdom, sometimes age comes alone...

If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 PM
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
MrScharfenberger MrScharfenberger is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 3,617
MrScharfenberger First On Race Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A70Maverick View Post
Aren't the SCJ-As and the SCJ-B the exact same head, the only difference is the A's are flat tappet spring pkg, and the B's are roller springs? That's how I understood it??
Well think I was thinking something different. I was thinking that the SCJ-A's were the old Kaase designed aluminium head. Part number M-6049-A429 that SVO sold around 1999. Maybe I misunderstood the SCJ-A & SCJ-B thing... But now that you mention it that does make sense. The A being a hydraulic cam spring package and the B being the roller spring package.

All I know for sure is the new SCJ heads flow some pretty good numbers for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Lem Evans Lem Evans is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Livermore Ky
Posts: 8,038
Lem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue Path
Default

The A429 heads were refered to as CJ heads.
__________________
B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:50 PM
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
MrScharfenberger MrScharfenberger is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 3,617
MrScharfenberger First On Race Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans View Post
The A429 heads were refered to as CJ heads.
10-4. I should know that. I have a set.

...but I do have the part number memorized!! It's conveniently stamped right on the side.

With any luck TrustTheRef will be coming to you for a set of the SCJ-A's

I just read Scotty's 12.99 engine build. That was pretty impressive with such a small cam..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.