55 ford pu - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM

maggard First On Race Day
Default 55 ford pu

This is my 55 ford pu.It was passed down from my father.Truck was built in the early 80's. Its got a gibbons front crossmember with cordoba suspension parts. I had a 390 alluminum heads roller cam etc. As shown in 1 of the pictures. Motor spun a bearing ran out of work sold all 390 parts. Bought a junk 74 ford log bed with 460 and c-6 trans all with less than 1000 miles for $300.oo hauled truck off for scrap so have $50 in the c6-460. Got 460 mounted with a fresh coat of paint. Got on here and did some casting # checking. the 460 has a D9te-ab block d3ve-a2a heads with a D00E-b2 balancer. The bottom of oil pan has 86 on it. I started the 460 in the donor truck to make sure it was good. Had a 800dp holley with a mallory unilite distributor and headers on the 74.Heres the problem the block is 79 and it has the 74 flexplate and balancer sleeve. I pulled the pan to check # on crank and its the 3ya so its got the wrong sleeve and flexplate. There is no metal in the pan. Looking threw the spark plug hole its got the dish pistons and I want to try to pull a little more power out of it. What are my best $ options with what I have to work with. Truck has a 9-inch rear with a 3:89 gear with a posi. So the motor was run for 500-1000 miles with the wrong parts do you think its hurt? Thanks chad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 04:23 PM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

If you start it up and it vibrates like crazy, then you need to put the later external balance parts on it...flywheel & hatchet weight behind the balancer.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM

SLOWnSTEADY Driving a Ford

I want that truck! BAD!!! Always been one of my favorites!! As soon as I finish my '73 Mach One, this is next on my list!!

LOVE IT!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 PM

blown473 First On Race Day
Smile 55 F100

Nice truck! I have a 55 F100 too. You need the correct spacer with the hatchet weight and correct external balance flex plate as another poster said. I think you will find the torque of the bigger cubic inches in your truck is great! The F100's really like the big inch motors to get the weight moving, and with your 3.89 rear gear it should be quick! Good luck with your build!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Very nice truck Chad. Yes the 3Y crank is an external balance. Like Greg said, you'll need an externally balanced flexplate and the "hatchet" weight on the crank snout. That in itself should net you some more ponies. Good luck with the build and keep us informed...
Rob
Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 PM

This week im going to get the right flexplate and sleeve so i can slide it back in the truck. I ran it for a little bit before I pulled it out of other truck. It didnt seem to vibrate to much so hopefully the internals are ok. would like find me some aluminum valve covers and a aluminum intake for it.a guy about an hour south here has some c9ve heads with new valves ready to go for $350.00 thought about pick up those and swaping out to bump up the compression.Maybe a small cam. I like a little sound. thanks chad
Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Forum Contributor

69F100 Driving a Ford

here a vid of mine it has a stock bottom end d9 block ported doves witha xe274h comp cam
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Sounds nice. When I had the 390 in mine I had the heads ported and had a .600 .600 252-262 duration @ .50 solid roller It had a nice sound.I cant afford to do this engine this way yet. I would be happy the cam you got. some more compression maybe some head porting and mine will do fine till on a budget.I thnk im gona like the 460 based engines better, and a little cheaper for the most part. thanks chad.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Is it possible the PO had the assembly balanced to be internal with the 3Y crank? I don't know if can be done for sure but I can't see why it couldn't. If it doesn't vibrate then I would look at the crank and rods to see if there are signs of a balancing job. I hate to see someone spend the money to put the "right parts" on it when it was rebalanced to be neutral balance. Do some investigating first is my advice.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM

An update, I put the right flywheel and hatchet on it. I drove it a bit. Runs really good.Had a straighit up timing chain,. I ditched the mallory and put a duraspark in. I decided to change a few things. I got a set of doves, I am porting them myself off of scottys site. I got a voodoo cam, 2500 stall, a performer rpm intake, a set of roller rockers to go in it. The builder pistons are 035 in the hole so I am gonna slip it apart for a decking and put it back together. Should pep it up a bit. thanks chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.